Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Got my i3 !

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Finally got mine. Ready with winter tires. Just a pic taken with my mobile, will take some more with a real camera later.

Looks like a piglet on the picture, looks better in real life

The color is the metallic color, Laurus. Pretty similar to Mineral grey.

I chose the standard wheels for the winter tires. Easier to clean.

Here is a video from delivery. Not in the wild, but at least you get some idea of the color

Just a small clip in snow. Ice under the snow, uphill incline. Drifting is not possible in traction mode But no problem getting up.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Congratulations.

Welcome to the Future.

Remember to do a...I was Born Electric on... For Toms blog.
      02-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

thank you Scott, will do !

Last edited by Touring; 02-10-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Yes, i've been visiting your blogg on a regular basis, I will come with feedback, especially related to cold climate performance.

The color is the metallic color, Laurus. Pretty similar to Mineral grey.

I chose the standard wheels for the winter tires. Easier to clean.
Thank you. That is the color I ordered. Laurus Grey (Laurel in the US) REx with every option there is. I'm getting the limited edition "Electronaut Edition" which will have some special badging and included the DC quick charge and heated seats at no charge. We also get the first group of deliveries in the US which should be late April. Cant wait!

I don't have too many good pictures of Laurus Grey in the wild, so I would really love if you did a guest post for the blog, filled with some cool pictures of the car in your area! Thanks, Tom
      02-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

Sure! Will do on saturday! Its very fun to drive. It could never been my only car, but for urban use its perfect.

Reminds me a little of my E30 I had in my student days :compact, fast, Hi tech. BMWs core values.

Its Incredibly quick and easy to drive in town. Very special feeling because your are sitting pretty high, but you can feel the center of gravity is low.

And price for a full charge : 2 dollars
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure! Will do on saturday! Its very fun to drive. It could never been my only car, but for urban use its perfect.

Reminds me a little of my E30 I had in my student days :compact, fast, Hi tech. BMWs core values.

Its Incredibly quick and easy to drive in town. Very special feeling because your are sitting pretty high, but you can feel the center of gravity is low.

And price for a full charge : 2 dollars
You may surprise yourself. I have seen it happen many, many times. You get an EV and believe it will be regulated to the secondary car, since it doesn't have the range to be your primary car. Then after six months you realize your using it for virtually all your driving. Never say never

Here is a little video clip of me talking about range:

02-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

I believe you! Its midnight now, but I just had to take it out for a spin. The way it pulls up to 50-60 km is crazy., feels like it can leave everything behind when the light turns green. Now its around 0 celcius, and pretty wet and slippery, but those thin wheels have amazing grip. This was much more fun than expected.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
You may surprise yourself. I have seen it happen many, many times. You get an EV and believe it will be regulated to the secondary car, since it doesn't have the range to be your primary car. Then after six months you realize your using it for virtually all your driving. Never say never

Here is a little video clip of me talking about range:

Love your license plate. Am going to a BMWCCA i3 event thingy here in ATL next weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.

-MrB
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
Love your license plate. Am going to a BMWCCA i3 event thingy here in ATL next weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.

-MrB
I'm transferring them to my i3
      02-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #10
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

Haha, nice numberplate!

I got some experience with the car now in winter condition. The preheating system operated from the i-app works good, the car is warm and no ice at the windows at start up.

Traction is no problem, with the "traction" function activated the traction is similar to a front wheel drive car, the rear us pretty heavy (around 55% of the weight), and with the thin wheels the grip is good. Range is about 120 km. The heater is like a "normal" car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Touring; 02-15-2014 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

With the standard wheels no snow is sticking to the wheel. Easy to clean, and the wheels dont get off balance due to ice and snow sticking between the spikes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Sounds like you are having fun adapting. Congratulations electronaut.

The i3 can be fun on the snow if you wish to take it to those extremes.
The best thing is when you accelerate and than electric hum becomes audible to everybody nearby that they think its a spacecraft or something.

Was watching one of my favourite TV shows (now sadly cancelled) but about to receive the last series in Germany and was wondering what the reaction be if this was the i3?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL07...s&feature=plpp

Oh how I will miss big Gay John Cooper and his sarcastic put downs.
      02-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

Cred to BMW Scott, for having the guts making this machine. I feel im driving a car from the future. The only car that gives me this much fun in town is my old Porsche 928.

Thats something I never would believe when I ordered the i3, I got it to save money and the environment. Now I take it for a ride just for fun. Incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Cred to BMW Scott, for having the guts making this machine. I feel im driving a car from the future. The only car that gives me this much fun in town is my old Porsche 928.

Thats something I never would believe when I ordered the i3, I got it to save money and the environment. Now I take it for a ride just for fun. Incredible.
It was Reithofers vision, his passion project. He wanted to take BMW out of the ordinary for Electric mobility and make it extra ordinary from every step of the conception process. The best thing about the BMWi entire project is that everyone involved would meet with every other on certain days so you had excellent collaborations in how this car and the i8 would be born. It was in all a joint effort.

The designers rose to the challenge of the brief and delivered that vision , a car that promises an exciting future in an urban environment.
Its too early to call the i3 a success but it has fulfilled one objective and that is too entice new customers and it has.

The reviews have been excellent with one or two omissions plus we have good brand ambassadors like Tom. I always check his blog daily because it is good to read about the owner and his i3 that's what matters ,
the public opinion.
      02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It was Reithofers vision, his passion project. He wanted to take BMW out of the ordinary for Electric mobility and make it extra ordinary from every step of the conception process. The best thing about the BMWi entire project is that everyone involved would meet with every other on certain days so you had excellent collaborations in how this car and the i8 would be born. It was in all a joint effort.

The designers rose to the challenge of the brief and delivered that vision , a car that promises an exciting future in an urban environment.
Its too early to call the i3 a success but it has fulfilled one objective and that is too entice new customers and it has.

The reviews have been excellent with one or two omissions plus we have good brand ambassadors like Tom. I always check his blog daily because it is good to read about the owner and his i3 that's what matters ,
the public opinion.
Thank you Scott. I've said one thing over and over again, and I know most people think I'm crazy until they have the chance to really drive a well made EV. That is most people really love the driving experience of an EV, and I'm talking about the "car nuts" too. I believe that is the one thing that will make electrics succeed. Not government subsidies, not that they are efficient, not that they cost less to drive and maintain, and not that they will "save the planet". They are going to succeed because people will not only like them, they will prefer them.
      02-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #16
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I'm transferring them to my i3
those are awesome...
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Thank you Scott. I've said one thing over and over again, and I know most people think I'm crazy until they have the chance to really drive a well made EV. That is most people really love the driving experience of an EV, and I'm talking about the "car nuts" too. I believe that is the one thing that will make electrics succeed. Not government subsidies, not that they are efficient, not that they cost less to drive and maintain, and not that they will "save the planet". They are going to succeed because people will not only like them, they will prefer them.
This.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, congrats on your new i3. Not to harsh on the EV love fest going on in this tread, but lets be a bit realistic. It's not like BMW invented the electric car. The electric car is over 100 years old just like the ICE-powered car is. So the i3 is not the "future", but more just an old idea blessed with about 100 years advancement in technology; of which the ICE-powered car has benefited too. Hydrocarbon fuel is still a better energy storage medium than a metal-hydride battery and most likely will be for the coming future. The i3 may be less expensive to drive and maintain (maybe, depending on battery longevity) but that is factoring out the purchase price. Factor in the purchase price and the $20K premium paid has about a 200,000 mile payback period based on a similar sized economy car at 35MPG.

And just to be sure, some of the planet's population doesn't live in large cities, where the i3 is most adaptable to providing it's level of performance, that being useable range. For a lot of people, an 80-mile range is just not a realistic operating envelope. For all the glad-handing going on here, there is a very low probability that the i3 will be the transportation game-changer that the Model T was.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, congrats on your new i3. Not to harsh on the EV love fest going on in this tread, but lets be a bit realistic. It's not like BMW invented the electric car. The electric car is over 100 years old just like the ICE-powered car is. So the i3 is not the "future", but more just an old idea blessed with about 100 years advancement in technology; of which the ICE-powered car has benefited too. Hydrocarbon fuel is still a better energy storage medium than a metal-hydride battery and most likely will be for the coming future. The i3 may be less expensive to drive and maintain (maybe, depending on battery longevity) but that is factoring out the purchase price. Factor in the purchase price and the $20K premium paid has about a 200,000 mile payback period based on a similar sized economy car at 35MPG.

And just to be sure, some of the planet's population doesn't live in large cities, where the i3 is most adaptable to providing it's level of performance, that being useable range. For a lot of people, an 80-mile range is just not a realistic operating envelope. For all the glad-handing going on here, there is a very low probability that the i3 will be the transportation game-changer that the Model T was.
I agree with Tom's comments above, and I think this is why electric will take off...it is simply a better DRIVING experience. EVs get caught up in all the political, environmental, and cost savings rhetoric, but, at the end of the day people buy CARS for how well they work as CARS. The tech is currently a bit pricey and has limitations, but that's temporary. The tech will improve, prices will come down, and adoption will become the norm simply because it makes for a nicer "car". One key to my assumption is where the early adopters are coming from. Sure some want to save the world, make a political statement, etc. BUT many are the "car guys" (like me, and most of us on these forums), and believe me, we are often as surprised as anyone that we are here in the EV space! I went from my M5 to a Volt. A buddy of mine traded his M5 for Caddy CTS-V...and is now getting a Focus Electric. Several owners on the Volt forums came from BMWs and while their initial interest was often peaked by the idea of saving money or HOV lane access, it is the driving that has surprised them. Heck, one guy traded his Jag in for one...and a Year or so later he traded in his CTS-V for a second one. The times they are a changin'...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Great Stuff.

Tempting me even further towards an i3. Shame neither of my preferred dealers offer BMWi
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Wow makes me want one
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #22
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Congrats! That's a nice car. I'd love to have one.
Appreciate 0