BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

11-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Thumbs up

I just got done with the i3 experience at the LA Auto Show today as well. The car surprised the hell out of me. It far exceeded my expectations in every way. TBH, the only thing from the entire experience that irked me was the goofy gear selector sticking out of the steering column at the 2 O'Clock position. The acceleration was great, the brakes + regen system made for impressive stopping power, and the center of gravity is so low that it makes for a surprisingly sporty car, and I own a E92 M3 (I took a turn quite hard in it). The interior quality is top notch. I suppose the exterior design is subjective, which I'm partial to, but I have no real complaint about it. The rear suicide doors (a la Toyota FJ) are not bad, but not great. I love the new LED lights. The 2.5gal gas tank 2cyl petrol generator is a must-have option for only about $3-4k extra.

I'm not sure how all the rebates work, but you can get up to $10k rebate back from the state of CA if you're a resident. That makes this car about ~$35k with the generator.

My overall experience with the new i3 is a 9/10.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
My first thought seeing the steering wheel.
A bit of a stretch there, but I agree it could be less busy.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I just got done with the i3 experience at the LA Auto Show today as well. The car surprised the hell out of me. It far exceeded my expectations in every way. TBH, the only thing from the entire experience that irked me was the goofy gear selector sticking out of the steering column at the 2 O'Clock position. The acceleration was great, the brakes + regen system made for impressive stopping power, and the center of gravity is so low that it makes for a surprisingly sporty car, and I own a E92 M3 (I took a turn quite hard in it). The interior quality is top notch. I suppose the exterior design is subjective, which I'm partial to, but I have no real complaint about it. The rear suicide doors (a la Toyota FJ) are not bad, but not great. I love the new LED lights. The 2.5gal gas tank 2cyl petrol generator is a must-have option for only about $3-4k extra.

I'm not sure how all the rebates work, but you can get up to $10k rebate back from the state of CA if you're a resident. That makes this car about ~$35k with the generator.

My overall experience with the new i3 is a 9/10.
Great input, glad you had a good experience as well.

I didn't mind the gear selector that much, but I can see where it's not in a usual position; trucks and vans have a gear selector in that general area, whereas sporty cars it should be center console only.

Btw, I forgot to post one pic, will add to the first post ... this is not from the BMW i Experience, but from inside the Auto Show; either way it fits with the thread...

BMW i3 at LA Auto Show by ddk632, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
My first thought seeing the steering wheel.
I forgot about the steering wheel. It's nice to the touch, but I kept thinking the thing was upside down! It was kinda freaking me out.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
MalibuZ4
Breakfast Director
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i (E89)

I have enjoyed my test drive today in Frankfurt Germany with an orange, fully optioned i3. I drove via Autobahn, City and Country roads. It was really fun especially the 250 nm torque from the first moment.

2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i; Mojave/Havanna; pure-white nappa trim; BMW Performance wheels 313 19" (garage queen)
2005 BMW Z4 2.0i black sapphire metallic (dd)
1967 Volkswagen 1300 (Bug) survivor 50k mls (garage queen II)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: the Ring

i think i want one !
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #29
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fun car to drive. Thanks for all of the free snacks too.
      12-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #30
choddo
Rep
Drives: MG ZT 190+

Great write up, thanks.

Solar Orange is clearly the colour of choice. I added a sunroof to my order at the last minute. At 6'2, I hope I'm not going to regret that. I certainly didn't notice the ceiling at all during my quick non-sunroofed test drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by choddo View Post
Great write up, thanks.

Solar Orange is clearly the colour of choice. I added a sunroof to my order at the last minute. At 6'2, I hope I'm not going to regret that. I certainly didn't notice the ceiling at all during my quick non-sunroofed test drive.
I'm about the same height, but longer in the torso than many my same height, so headroom is a major issue. Have an old college friend the same height, in his car, when adjusted for him, I can't reach the pedals and my head hits the roof. In mine, he's way too close and his knees are bent way too much and the steering wheel is too close.

It frosts me, in the USA, the sunroof is not a standalone option...any interior other than the base gets it in the package. I like the way the Lodge interior looks, at least in pictures (haven't seen one in person yet), but if the sunroof cuts headroom, it may force me into the base interior - not horrible, but at the price point, I'd rather get what I both want and need, not some marketing guy's decision on what they think I need.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #32
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I'm about the same height, but longer in the torso than many my same height, so headroom is a major issue. Have an old college friend the same height, in his car, when adjusted for him, I can't reach the pedals and my head hits the roof. In mine, he's way too close and his knees are bent way too much and the steering wheel is too close.

It frosts me, in the USA, the sunroof is not a standalone option...any interior other than the base gets it in the package. I like the way the Lodge interior looks, at least in pictures (haven't seen one in person yet), but if the sunroof cuts headroom, it may force me into the base interior - not horrible, but at the price point, I'd rather get what I both want and need, not some marketing guy's decision on what they think I need.
Unless you're 7 feet tall you won't have a problem with headroom. The i3 is tall and has a lot of headroom. I drove in one with the sunroof and a friend that is 6'5" and he had plenty of room.