TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Will this Chris Harris' first authorship at R&T? Anyone know if he's becoming part of their editorial staff?
Looks like R&T has been linking to his Drive videos for a while now...not sure if he is writing something specifically for them.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #24
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Didn't know it was AWD until now. But it makes sense since the 918 (et al) applies a similar concept, electric motor for the front wheels, internal combustion for the rear.

The times are very respectable, especially the 0-60.
Part of me still wishes BMW AG would let BMW M touch this chassis and give it a full on M treatment & a gas guzzling, fire spitting, tarmac ripping Sxx motor.

But this is becoming more and more promising, particularly when one realizes this [hybrid sports car concept] will be more common practice in the future & BMW just took a huge leap forward with a head start, especially at this price point.

Great read & I'm optimistic about the i8, despite some of its shortcomings & cheesy gadgets (active sound).
Promising it is. As much as we all want a proper BMW Supercar to compete with the likes of the SLS AMG, for now the idea of the i8's dual personalities grows on me further and further.

Driving the X6M around on the highway and around town when not pushing it feels a bit silly. When pushing it, it's perfect.

The i8 can be that car that is really economical for "regular" driving when you just want to cruise on the highway or down your favorite ocean road. And when you want spirited driving, it gives it impressively.

I can be honest, I didn't much care for this concept at first, but it has grown on me a lot.

I think that BMW's biggest issue is getting the buy-in from consumers and enthusiasts alike that a sports car can have dual nature (efficiency and performance) and do reasonably well at both, while not being the best at either.

My take on this car, which I think these numbers show, is that it's a sports car with everyday usable performance, that is fun to drive, very respectably fast but not supercar fast, and very efficient for around town running. It's the "almost best" of both worlds.

Asking it to be the very best of both worlds would be a tall order, so in light of that, plus these numbers, and the reviews that I've read in the past few days, I think BMW has nailed it.

I think also, like you say, BMW is ahead of the curve such that when this kind of car as a concept becomes more accepted, the i8 will be in further development, with possibly sister cars (i8 junior?) in the lineup.

Last edited by ddk632; 04-28-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #25
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Btw, I would expect Active Sound to become the norm with these kinds of cars. If the M5 and Porsche Panamera GTS can have active sound (albeit implemented differently), then surely it's nothing to be embarrassed about with the i8.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I think that BMW's biggest issue is getting the buy-in from consumers and enthusiasts alike that a sports car can have dual nature (efficiency and performance) and do reasonably well at both, while not being the best at either.

My take on this car, which I think these numbers show, is that it's a sports car with everyday usable performance, that is fun to drive, very respectably fast but not supercar fast, and very efficient for around town running. It's the "almost best" of both worlds.

Asking it to be the very best of both worlds would be a tall order, so in light of that, plus these numbers, and the reviews that I've read in the past few days, I think BMW has nailed it.
David, I completely agree with your assessment. I love the idea of getting two cars in one and without having to pay an extravagant, albeit not inexpensive, price. Much as I love cruising in a sports car (can't wait to hit Mulholland Drive and the Santa Ynez valley), I'm not inclined to push it to the extreme limits, which seems to be where some of the reviewers found issues. Can't wait for the ordering to begin.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
HotDog415
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-sport 6MT

now time to swap in a built n54

and def needs different rubber

really hoping the m division builds a high power version....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #28
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
so 1/4 miles and 0-60 times are recorded with 1-foot rollout? I'd like to see dyno figures as well here
      04-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Looks like R&T has been linking to his Drive videos for a while now...not sure if he is writing something specifically for them.
Harris wrote a recent McLaren P1 review in R&T. I wondered at the time if he was joining the staff. He wasn't listed on the editorial page however.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #30
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
My guess is because the tires are the ones made for less resistance while rolling, aka better MPG, but shittier performance.

I was curious if the extensive braking regeneration had any effect on the stopping distance...
Well if anything you'd think Brake Energy Regeneration would improve stopping distance as it's just the Intelligent Alternator applying itself to the engine (most heavily when braking, lighter when coasting), thus giving greater engine braking effect, therefore greater deceleration ability. Well, that's how all the BMW's have worked up until now anyway - not sure if the i8 works any differently in that respect.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #31
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
As expected for a heavily electrified vehicle it poops out above 80mph or so. Quicker than an E9x M3 through the 1/4 but considerably slower 60-130

Good it at least doesn't embarrass itself on paper against a 911. Most owners of either will never get close to the handling limits and the low grip of the i8 might even make it more fun for the average schlub
Very fast for legal driving limits though... If you accelerate 60-130 in the UK I'd expect to be in court pretty quickly too!

This is not exactly a track car either.

As much as the 3 pot 1.5 sounds off putting, IMO BMW have put a blinding package together. Puts my efficient dynamics in the shadows and out of the other side both in efficiency and performance. What more could you want from a DD?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #32
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
I think you've nailed it. R&T's online presence is weak. Very, very weak. I've always enjoyed their writing the most out of all the American automotive publications, but I've feared for their demise as the importance of the Internet has grown. Looking at some Google searches, it all appears to be R&T editors writing about Chris Harris' reviews. That's pretty much the de facto example of sleazy editorial coat-tail riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Harris wrote a recent McLaren P1 review in R&T. I wondered at the time if he was joining the staff. He wasn't listed on the editorial page however.
Are you certain it was actually him writing? See this link:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...-p1-yas-marina

Note that the author is James Wolfcale, not Chris Harris. That's just an article about Chris' experience.

Granted, I may not have access to, or may have overlooked an article actually accredited to him, but it doesn't appear that Harris' is writing for R&T directly... Yet.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Promising it is. As much as we all want a proper BMW Supercar to compete with the likes of the SLS AMG, for now the idea of the i8's dual personalities grows on me further and further.

Driving the X6M around on the highway and around town when not pushing it feels a bit silly. When pushing it, it's perfect.

The i8 can be that car that is really economical for "regular" driving when you just want to cruise on the highway or down your favorite ocean road. And when you want spirited driving, it gives it impressively.

I can be honest, I didn't much care for this concept at first, but it has grown on me a lot.

I think also, like you say, BMW is ahead of the curve such that when this kind of car as a concept becomes more accepted, the i8 will be in further development, with possibly sister cars (i8 junior?) in the lineup.
I think you've really nailed it here. You also sound like exactly the kind of consumer BMW was hoping for when they conceptualized the i8.

If one looks at the Tesla, it's clear that Elon Musk managed to make a significantly uncompromised performance sedan. It's not entirely uncompromised, but it's very, very good. BMW appears to have done the same with the i8. Yes, there are compromises, but in places where the i8 is superlative, it dramatically exceeds the superlatives accomplished by other "entirely uncompromised" cars. Name one other car that can accelerate at the same rate, but scan still deliver the fuel economy of the i8. It's remarkable.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
According the Road & Track, turbo lag is to blame
The electric motor is supposed to fill the turbo lag gap, but I wonder if (like my Volt and even the i3 - to a lesser extent though) they software-limited the initial hit of the electric motor and that's why 5-60 is impacted. The "launch control" mode they used for 0-60 may remove that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #35
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

While the tires seem to be the limiting factor in stopping distances, plenty of cars with similar sized tires, BRZ and FD RX7 come to mind, have stopped in noticeably shorter distances, of course those are both 500+ pounds lighter. Isn't there a tire option for the i8 that does away with the low rolling resistance tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Isn't there a tire option for the i8 that does away with the low rolling resistance tires?
The test was done with the optional wider tires, 215 front and 245 rear. The standard tires are even more narrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #37
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I think you've really nailed it here. You also sound like exactly the kind of consumer BMW was hoping for when they conceptualized the i8.

If one looks at the Tesla, it's clear that Elon Musk managed to make a significantly uncompromised performance sedan. It's not entirely uncompromised, but it's very, very good. BMW appears to have done the same with the i8. Yes, there are compromises, but in places where the i8 is superlative, it dramatically exceeds the superlatives accomplished by other "entirely uncompromised" cars. Name one other car that can accelerate at the same rate, but scan still deliver the fuel economy of the i8. It's remarkable.
Here's the way Popular Mechanics expressed the same sentiment:

"The BMW i8 marks a moment in history when high performance plug-in hybrids are no longer relegated to the realm of uberexotics built of unobtanium and dreams. Although it's not exactly cheap, the i8 is a viable alternative to sports cars like the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 while delivering drop-dead gorgeous styling that may as well have been sketched by aliens. The i8 will never be everything to everyone, but that's the point. With this hybrid powertrain/exotic body mashup, BMW introduces an era when both efficiency and guts can live in the same striking body."

You can find the whole article here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #38
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
I bet you can make this more performance oriented without sacrificing 90% of the reason this thing is cool. Just fit fatter and sticky tyres and lighter rims would probably improve braking and accelerating.
      04-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #39
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
The test was done with the optional wider tires, 215 front and 245 rear. The standard tires are even more narrow.
OK this would explain the good 0-60 time, but not the braking...
      04-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #40
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Here's the way Popular Mechanics expressed the same sentiment:

"The BMW i8 marks a moment in history when high performance plug-in hybrids are no longer relegated to the realm of uberexotics built of unobtanium and dreams. Although it's not exactly cheap, the i8 is a viable alternative to sports cars like the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 while delivering drop-dead gorgeous styling that may as well have been sketched by aliens. The i8 will never be everything to everyone, but that's the point. With this hybrid powertrain/exotic body mashup, BMW introduces an era when both efficiency and guts can live in the same striking body."

You can find the whole article here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest
Exactly. I've already got more than one stupid fast gas-guzzling V8 car, that's not what I'm looking for in the i8. I'm a tech guy, I love the latest and greatest. I also understand the world can't sustain a market of nothing but planet be damned fuel consumption. And I also need the flexibility of a gas supported hybrid due to my location...so what have been my choices for an exciting, fun, plug-in hybrid sports car until now? I can't think of a single one. The i8 represents the first plug-in hybrid I've given a damn about. Everyone complaining that this isn't an ///M car needs to realize that's not what they're going for. Also understand that what everyone is asking for will be well over $250k so it's existence will be moot for most. I love the i8 for what it is, not lamenting what it isn't. You'll get your ///M supercar at some point, it just might be a bit longer. I don't think they'll let AMG and Audi have their bespoke performance brand cars (R8, SLS, AMG GT) get the market to themselves forever.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #41
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

Those 0-60 times are definitely due to electric instant torque plus awd! Tires play in a little I know but that 3.8 number is what I mentioned, did I say lightweight too
      04-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #42
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:

I agree, however there is also clearly appetite for, and a market segment for a BMW supercar.

If they can make a P1/918 competitor then all the better, but I doubt they'll stretch that far.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #43
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

So what are the performance figures or 0-60 times when the electric power dies?
      04-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #44
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbolge
Quote:
OK this would explain the good 0-60 time, but not the braking...
What do you mean? It's riding on a set of bike tires. The fact that it's lightweight, AWD, and has a good powertrain setup for quick low speed acceleration seems to make perfect sense.
Appreciate 0