Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Complete with bicycle sized tires...
      11-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
masamune
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Don't like the back, wheels, or lambo doors. Why do all futuristic looking cars need lambo doors? Such a cliche....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
i just wet my pants people...

[IMG]http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #28
e90xIn52
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphirre 06 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Sick!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #29
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
The front end reminds me of the M1, and with a V8 TT this may be the next M1
Not going to happen.
BMW have made clear that the intentions of the Vision Efficient Dynamics is to take the Sports Car Concept in a new direction.

Cars like the R8 propell image and performance but fifteen minutes later another one comes along until eventually you are anonymous.
BMW do not want to make an equivalent of an R8 or an SLS AMG, why?
Because there already is one, why try and outdo someone with the same idea when you can be more creative and innovative on the same concept?
Vision Efficient Dynamics is pure BMW it is the same philosophy as BMW by reinventing the concept and why BMW engineering and dynamics always stand out from the competition.

Vision Efficient Dynamics is about moving forward and pulling the rug out from the competition. It is purely thinking of tomorrows mobility , which you will have today.

What you see is what you will get.

BMW have made clear this car will not be equipped with a V8 or V10.
BMW will have a top end Roadster Z Spyder Stradale equipped with folding carbon fibre hardtop and only available with special versions of the Turbo charged six and eight cylinder. And a Hybrid six cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #30
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

What's with the Camaro-style AEs?
      11-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #31
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Not going to happen.
BMW have made clear that the intentions of the Vision Efficient Dynamics is to take the Sports Car Concept in a new direction.

Cars like the R8 propell image and performance but fifteen minutes later another one comes along until eventually you are anonymous.
Because there already is one, why try and outdo someone with the same idea when you can be more creative and innovative on the same concept?
Vision Efficient Dynamics is pure BMW it is the same philosophy as BMW by reinventing the concept and why BMW engineering and dynamics always stand out from the competition.

Vision Efficient Dynamics is about moving forward and pulling the rug out from the competition. It is purely thinking of tomorrows mobility , which you will have today.

BMW will have a top end Roadster Z Spyder Stradale equipped with folding carbon fibre hardtop and only available with special versions of the Turbo charged six and eight cylinder. And a Hybrid six cylinder.
SCOTT, and that's why BMW is losing its image as an "ultimate driving machine" and slowly becoming the german toyota. No offense, but BMW has lost focus of its roots
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #32
bmc335
Bimmer? I don't even know'er!
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 550i M Sport

While I'm all for this "efficient dynamics", that car with a less busy rear end and a high power internal combustion engine (their TTv8 or bring back the v10) would be great. At the very least, lose the 10 speed bicycle wheels... They just don't look right, I don't care how much fuel you are saving by using them.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #33
BimmersMania
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport

This is truly the car of the future. I hope we can use it in 5 years
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #34
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Not going to happen.

The reason those companies make the cars is because people want to buy them and they are great for company image. Not saying I'm not excited about this car, but I'd sure be a lot more excited if I knew it would have the option of a big NA engine.
      11-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #35
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

if BMW are willing to make an M version of the X5, there's no way they will not make one out of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #36
bigshug1
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 328i

There are now constraints on how fuel efficient a car manufacturer's ENTIRE line must be...hence all the hybrids, etc. from BMW.
As much as I'd love for all of their new high performance vehicles to be 15mpg screamers, it's only through the construction of the most fuel efficient cars that they can continue to produce the ///M's we all love so much...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #37
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Complete with bicycle sized tires...
ghahaha, I was gonna say
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #38
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
SCOTT, and that's why BMW is losing its image as an "ultimate driving machine" and slowly becoming the german toyota. No offense, but BMW has lost focus of its roots
Have they?
If BMW retained just it's core cars 3,5,7 then the company would not be independent, If things went opposite back in the early 2000's then your 3er would have been based on a VW Golf platform- that is how close it got , when BMW vetoed any advance help from VW and jettisoned Rover and decided on the 1er to replace the Rover compact.

Unfortunately the market was changing , customers where taking advantage of compact sporty roadsters and large SAV's. BMW went in thinking with the idea of a SAV but make it more like a car hence why the X5 is the best selling and best driving SAV in it's segment.
Customers were wanting more from their cars and purely niche cars are brought from customer demand for something new and stylish on an existing concept. BMW could not sit back and concentrate on their core models because they would not have retained their independence.

But today if there is a German Toyota it is Volkswagen.
Look at how Toyota use Toyota platforms on Lexus models the same as underneath that Audi lies a VW platform.
Volkswagen has huge resources to do this and share one platform across the whole group. BMW do not so when everybody was throwing money at super expensive vanity projects ,( including some that do not make any money) BMW invested in Efficient Dynamics and a new modular architecture to sustain future growth which will appear underneath the 1er and 3er. The outcome? Efficient Dynamics caught the competition off guard - of the each segments BMW and MINI are representitive of. BMW are the leaders in efficiency. Even the 118d is more efficient than the Toyota Prius without sacrifice of driving enjoyment.

The new modular architecture is designed to be spread across a whole range of models of the 1er and 3er. The modular architecture can be stretched , widened, and shortened to suit a wide range of models from the 1er and 3er.
The advantage? it is entirely cost effective meaning that BMW can increase their profit margins on the 1er and 3er. Models can be created by moving firewalls and suspension mounts to suit each car meaning every model will not be the same. Of the 20 new models BMW will launch by 2015 the greater majority will be based on 1er and 3er because along with the city car segment or UKL which will be provided by MINI and the BMW Compact.
The Premium Compact and Premium Entry segments are earmarked for future growth within the industry. It is these segments that every manufacturer will be aiming for.

Actually one of the benefits here is because of mass production in a high volume product, BMW will be able to lower the cost of expensive "Big car" options , normally found in the Premium luxury segment of a 7er for the 1er and 3er.

In the economic crisis every Premium manufacturer and BMW included experienced a global trend towards "downsizing".
Although customers were downsizing from a higher premium model to either a compact , or premium entry model they were still equipping their cars with premium model features.
The customer would spend more on premium compact and premium entry cars if they get the same features , a lot of Premium features usually found on a luxury car like the 7er will be available for the 1er and 3er for the first time.

But to your question has BMW lost it's roots as "The Ultimate Driving Machine"?
Look at the acclaim the cars receive. nearly every single BMW model is the leader of the segment , the new 5er has surpassed expectations. The 7er is so far the leader of the segment. The 3er is unsurpassed , The 1er is truly one of a kind, and the X5 is still the segment leader even in the face of more competition. The new X3 is off to a great start , customers ordering an xDrive 20d will not take delivery until next April. I expect the X3 will retain it's segment it created. And then we have the M3 - sunsurpassed, every rival-outclassed. Next year we have the all-new BMW 6er, which at Paris caught the attention of every CEO of our competitors.

Vision Efficient Dynamics is truly testament to the BMW philosophy of making cars that are very much different from everybody else. That is the appeal of BMW, competitors try to emulate the BMW image but they dont drive as well as BMW's. Vision Efficient Dynamics is taking the concept of a Sports Car but doing something entirely unique with the concept , especially in turning it into something people do not expect a sports car to be.
That is the genius of BMW we do not want to be the same , we want to be independent not only in business but also in our products.

That is why the Vision Efficient Dynamics will be our "Image" car because there is nothing else like it.
Our recent Investment at our Leipzig works shows that BMW are taking this image seriously with both the Vision Efficient Dynamics and the MegaCity Vehicle to like it's sports car brother there will be nothing else like it on the market.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #39
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Scott, how is the MPG calculated? Highway? Combined? Based on one full charge of battery? Car in hybrid or full electric mode? Does it have safety features installed when it is tested?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #40
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
Anyone realize that all this technology and fuel economy will probably start at 80K!
Yeah, but it's gonna start in our driveways!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #41
Zunkung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318ise

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #42
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #43
XC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupé

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
The only thing I'm not a fan about this car is its narrow tires.. Otherwise it looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

SCOTT26,

I do appreciate many of the products that BMW has produced, and my experience in image is restricted to the US. My comments on BMW becoming the German Toyota is centered around image, and not performance. It's quite obvious that a Toyota Camry and a BMW 3-Series sedan from a performance perspective don't even enter the same conversation. There is a common feeling that the 3 series sedan is becoming the new Toyota Camry here in the US. The 3-Series sedan is the cute little family sedan for young families and young professionals. Again, here in the US image is everything and I have a feeling that BMW would have a hard time ignoring the money of their primary consumers and the market.

Obviously I don't know the numbers, but it would be interesting to see what percent of 3 Series, and 5 Series are purchased by families and others who could care less about the performance of the car as opposed to those who purchase a BMW for what it really is. My guess is that following the market of consumers that purchasae the car for the badge will slowly erode the product from a performance aspect.

Also, VW is the German Honda, not Toyota. The common consumer is completely unaware of the construction or performance of a car and commonly choose their car based on marketing and "looks" of a car. The Golf/GTI and Jetta are essentially analogous to the Honda Civic, aimed at a younger highschool and early 20's population. As you know marketing is a huge part of selling a product and the image of a car company is usually the result of one or two cars.

Again, my thoughts are restricted to the US consumer mind set.
Appreciate 0