BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-29-2024, 12:10 AM   #67
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Not sure why you got such a hard on with someone offering up an opinion to the OPs question.

My advice: lease the iX, don't buy it. Doesn't matter what year/market you bought it in / looking to buy it now ... advice is the same. Car is way overpriced and obnoxious rate of depreciation compared to any other luxury BMW I have owned in the last 20 years, and I've had many.

And to satisfy you for reality in the NJ market ... here's the state of affairs for the iX ... not going to waste my time to drive it into CarMax to give you a 2nd proof of reality
So they will put it on the market for 80K, and have lots of room to negotiate … that is how these companies work, especially with EV’s, this market is evolving at such a rapid pace (first batch of leases that come to the second hand market+new updated models) that they take very conservative positions. Drive the iX for 6 years or so and I’m sure you will end up with 12k depreciation per year as any car in that price band (except the Porsche 911 ;-)). The highest depreciation is taken in the first 3 years, so selling it then is completely bonkers, if that is the goal, one should lease.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 09:01 AM   #68
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Not sure why you got such a hard on with someone offering up an opinion to the OPs question.

My advice: lease the iX, don't buy it. Doesn't matter what year/market you bought it in / looking to buy it now ... advice is the same. Car is way overpriced and obnoxious rate of depreciation compared to any other luxury BMW I have owned in the last 20 years, and I've had many.

And to satisfy you for reality in the NJ market ... here's the state of affairs for the iX ... not going to waste my time to drive it into CarMax to give you a 2nd proof of reality

I guess you don't understand the difference between a "cash offer" and a private party sale value? What you are quoting above is a wholesale price that would be paid to you by someone who then marks it up for resale to another, and for profit. The number I'm quoting (over 35% higher) is selling to another private party like yourself.

I love how people quote cash quick-sale prices and then complain about the horrible depreciation oh my god! When you sell your house, do you sell to the ugly house cash people or do you sell it to a private party who wants a house and will pay fair market value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Selling it to one of these companies is like a trade in.
They offer you less than the car's actual value in order to sell it to someone else and make money off of the transaction. Depreciation is not calculated against a trade in value but rather what the car is worth to a private buyer.

You are not the first to claim that the iX is depreciating faster than "normal" but each time anyone's looked at actual cars listed for sale to support that statement, the numbers don't add up to what you are saying. Each time the person making the statement is using numbers like yours or from a trade in which are supposed to be lower than actual market value.

From what I've seen, it depreciates at more or less the same rate as any other BMW at this price point. The last time I put in any significant effort to check(months ago), I think the iX was within 1-2 % of what a similarly priced X5 was depreciating at based on cars listed for sale, not trade in values.
THANK YOU LORD! Some people here conflate their wholesale quick-sale/trade value with private party sale value, get upset, and then post about the car's rotten depreciation. We need to call this out because people come into these forums and take members' conclusions at face value, never knowing the facts on which those conclusions are based are false or poorly reasoned.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2458.50
      04-29-2024, 02:16 PM   #69
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Kelly blue book attempts to illustrate the difference between trade in value and private party values when valuing a vehicle. In my experience the trade values by KBB tend to be a bit high compared to reality while private party values are pretty close. In 5 minutes you can get another perspective on the value of you IX.

I ran a quick hypothetical on KBB for a 2023 IX50 with 16,000 miles, nicely equipped but not loaded. Trade in about $56,000, private party $60,000. Considering that the “price” of a similar 2025 vehicle at lease inception (after factoring for $9,900 off plus a 10% discount, $10,000), would be approximately $80,000, these numbers don’t surprise me.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1356.50
      04-29-2024, 03:26 PM   #70
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40 (Late 2022)

Don't overlook the fact that the iX appears rediculously cheap to start with in the USA.

M60 @ $111,000 in US (equivalent to €103,525)

or €143,100 to purchase in Germany. (equivalent to $153,330)...

....you're already getting 25% off.

That's a free car every fourth one!

(Unless there are some taxes I'm missing somewhere )
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1356.50
      04-29-2024, 05:29 PM   #71
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono987654321 View Post
Don't overlook the fact that the iX appears rediculously cheap to start with in the USA.

M60 @ $111,000 in US (equivalent to €103,525)

or €143,100 to purchase in Germany. (equivalent to $153,330)...

....you're already getting 25% off.

That's a free car every fourth one!

(Unless there are some taxes I'm missing somewhere )

Different states have different taxes. In my state (MA) on a $118k car, add about $12-15k in sales and excise taxes.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:47 PM   #72
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
I guess you don't understand the difference between a "cash offer" and a private party sale value? What you are quoting above is a wholesale price that would be paid to you by someone who then marks it up for resale to another, and for profit. The number I'm quoting (over 35% higher) is selling to another private party like yourself.

I love how people quote cash quick-sale prices and then complain about the horrible depreciation oh my god! When you sell your house, do you sell to the ugly house cash people or do you sell it to a private party who wants a house and will pay fair market value?

THANK YOU LORD! Some people here conflate their wholesale quick-sale/trade value with private party sale value, get upset, and then post about the car's rotten depreciation. We need to call this out because people come into these forums and take members' conclusions at face value, never knowing the facts on which those conclusions are based are false or poorly reasoned.

So what you're saying is that we are both not quite accurate and reality is somewhere in the mid 60s for average market price considering I am not a retard and understand that the Carvana price is the "quick sale" price On the otherhand no consumer with 1/2 a brain is paying asking price or additional ADM for anything in this current market, so your insistence that the market is $80k for 2023 M60s and that you are saving the internet form my massively inaccruate claim is alarmist.

So still the point I made with my initial post regardless if it was $5-7k off was the iX is a nosedive of depreciation in under 2 years compared to any other vehicles in the luxury market and given an ability to get the same car via a lease or buy situation, you should lease it every time. Does it really matter exactly how much the vehicle depreciated in 18 months 40 or 50% ... its still dogshit.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:48 PM   #73
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
Different states have different taxes. In my state (MA) on a $118k car, add about $12-15k in sales and excise taxes.
In my market EVs are tax free ... so $0 paid originally and nothing to recover at trade-in vs outright sell to the highest willing buyer
Appreciate 0