BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

To be honest, I'm not even a BMW fan.

The first BMW I bought was the i8. Nothing to do with the brand, but everything to do with the car, how it drives and its capabilities. And having driven many BMW's, I would say the i8 drives nothing like any other BMW.

I then bought the i3. For the same reason - it drove incredibly well.

I still don't personally care for the rest of the range, although I acknowledge BMW make some perfectly good cars.

And to summarise, lightness is everything if you care about performance. Ask Colin Chapman
Appreciate 1
plymjack120.00
      01-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacMan1 View Post
The bolt will be available nationwide for ordering by summer 2017. [...] You can order one right now in NYC dealers.
Only one of the above statements could be true.

I'm going by what GM has on it's web site, and what I heard from one Chevy dealer I called. I will take that over any and all blog posting and rumor mill references.
Note that I would never seriously consider driving a Chevy, but I remain curious about all EV options out there. The more the merrier.

As to the Chevy fans - you may be better served taking your affection for Bolt to that brand's forum.
While it's fun to chat about different EVs, it should be self evident that the folks on this forum have self-selected to be BMW-focused.

a
Hehehe. Yes sir !!!! I wonder how many join forums of their competitors just to stir the pot!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I may in fact buy another i3 after my current lease ends.

Why? Because..

1 - Interior quality far surpasses cheaper alternatives

2 - Unique and Eco-friendly materials

3 - It drives like nothing else and I prefer it even to the Tesla S. Feels like a go-cart around town.

4 - The look has grown on me, especially from the side

5 - Car stands out as electric and I get asked regularly about driving EV. I like speading the word of EVs and clearing up misconceptions.

6 - I want BMW to continue making EVs. I'd rather have a 100 mile range 5 series but they don't yet make that.
Appreciate 1
plymjack120.00
      02-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #26
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Even BMWBlog loved the Bolt EV.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/30/te...-electric-car/
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #27
bailyhill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 30e

Item 3

Hello TimeFor

You commented that:

3 - It drives like nothing else and I prefer it even to the Tesla S. Feels like a go-cart around town.

It sounds like you have some seat time in a Tesla S and the i3. I have been a big Tesla fan for a while and drive i3 now. I would be interested in your impressions of the two vehicles and their applicability. Seems like you are saying that the S is a big car, and for many applications, the i3 serves you better.

Thanks
      03-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #28
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

I have a 16' i3, with the "original" range.
I have the possibilty to charge daily at work, so no biggy with the range.
But i will probably buy the LCI.
The EV cars are huge in Norway, it's about 20% EV here now, and basicly it's because we don't pay any taxes on pure EV, for hybrids, there are like a few % only.
And EV owners pay very small road tax, have free charging at the mall, free parking and the list goes on.
So buying a EV and driving it here in Norway, makes alot of sense.
As for the Bolt/Volt, it's gotten huge attention here, but the supply have sold out, and i belive also halfway thru 18, the stock have been sold out.
So it's not really available here.
But i'd like to make a point.
BMW vs GM, no brainer.
The range, comparing these cars, you have to use the LCI i3, it's coming this fall, in November - and the word is, it's gotten a bigger battery, some 30% up from the 94mAh.
So considering this, and the few cars that's "available" from GM, it's easy to pick the car's you can buy, i'm not going to wait a year for a car, no way!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #29
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I would purchase a i3 rex than just a battery only car like the Bolt or Tesla. if this was my only choice. Reason peace of mind that I could get home if the power went down. I'm enjoying my BMW 225xe with options like a type of X drive and once again gives me peace of mind it will get me out of some tricky situations which it has.
      03-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #30
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailyhill View Post
I would be interested in your impressions of the two vehicles and their applicability. Seems like you are saying that the S is a big car, and for many applications, the i3 serves you better.

In referring to way they drive. And speaking only about the Tesla S 60/75 versions I prefer the i3's "punchy-ness". Its just a quicker on, quicker off acceleration at city speeds. The Tesla is fast no doubt but the i3 is like 1600lbs lighter so it's a very different driving feeling. I've previously driven an F10 and thats about the same size as a Tesla. But the weight of the Tesla is noticeable even compared to the F10. I would guess this is less of an issue in the higher end Model S versions with the power to compensate for it though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I had a fully loaded Bolt Premier on order as soon as they were released. Like a lot of people, I envisioned Tesla-like range without the price. The problem was, when I actually got to test drive one before mine was delivered I just couldn't get over how terribly cheap they are inside. I'm not a car snob...my gas powered vehicle is a '94 land cruiser...but Chevy stuck a terrific drivetrain into an interior chintzier than a Chevy Spark.

Also, the seats are a huge issue. Head over to http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/vie...5675&start=140 to see what even the early adopters are doing to try to rectify them. Having shops do custom work or suggesting buying butt pads for a $40k car. One dude even did a review of all the options:

For me, leasing the i3 rex was perfect. 120 mile electric range w/200 mile total range, 2 years of free evgo CCS access, and a much better interior. I've driven over 1k miles so far without a drop of gas or a single plugin anywhere that cost me money. My effective use price is under $300/month for a 2017 I can drive in the carpool lane. Win win.
So I hangout at mychevybolt.com. You are misrepresenting the seat issue. I'd say that half the Posters have issue with the seats and half don't, which is probably on par with most any vehicle model.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
I was comparing to my own i3 car, which is 1,195kg. Bolt is a tub of lard by comparison

Bolt is 40% heavier than my UK spec original model i3 BEV
LOL. 40% heavier than your i3 BEV (with 22kWh battery) but the Bolt gets over 2.8 TIMES the range and over 100% MORE range than the i3 w/ the 33kWh battery. The Bolt is 11 cubic feet bigger in passenger volume and 2 cu.ft. larger in cargo volume. The Bolt MSRP is less than both i3's.

So using the weight data found on the internet regarding the Bolt/i3 (both battery sizes) and the range data from the EPA website posted below, one can do some straightline projections (not perfect). By using the differences in weight and battery size between the two i3's: 22kWh and 33kWh batteries, the change in battery size and weight gain assuming the carbon/aluminum chassis remains the same base weight between the two i3's, it indicates there is a 14 pound per kilowatt change in the battery size. Extrapolate that into a 60kWh battery for the i3 to make the battery size (electrical capacity) the same between the Bolt and an i3, it shows a prospective i3 60kWh model would weigh just 204 pounds less than the Chevy Bolt. Based on the range increase (using the EPA numbers) afforded by the 33 kWh (94 Amp-hour) i3 over the 22 kWh (60 AH) i3, the prospective 60kWh i3 projects just a 194-mile EPA range. Of course this assumes a straightline engineering projection with no increase in efficiency, but also it doesn't include a possible needed weight increase to the base i3 carbon/aluminum chassis for safety/crash performance and brake performance, etc., to support a 60 kWh battery. Looking at total passenger/cargo volume the Bolt is 31.8 cubic foot per pound vs. 29.9 cubic foot per pound for the 94AH i3, but the Bolt has double the total range. So the numbers show that on the pure engineering of the two EV's, GM pretty much surpasses BMW's engineering prowess IMO. I've driven both cars briefly, years apart however, but the i3 on the suburban streets I drove wasn't anymore magical than the Bolt. And the i3 design with the rear-opening doors I found more difficult to enter the rear seat as compared to the Bolt. It's not like the i3 is a BMW's BMW. Can't wait for the 1st magazine handling match up between the two.

And don't get on my case about being a GM fanboy, I have three BMW's currently in my fleet, and prior, a fourth, a 1989 E30. Of the four, three were bought new, and the 4th, my Z4 Coupe, I bought in Dec '14 w/23K on the clock (it now has 64,000). My BMW ownership goes back 29 years and a combined total miles driven of over 780,000 miles.

my 2 cents
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-11-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
rallybull179.00
      03-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #33
VacMan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3, 2015 Msport X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So I hangout at mychevybolt.com. You are misrepresenting the seat issue. I'd say that half the Posters have issue with the seats and half don't, which is probably on par with most any vehicle model.
Yeah, 50% of the buyers of a brand new, $44k car having issues with the seats in their car is definitely misrepresenting it. Please find me another new car of any brand or price with the same issue...I'll wait. In the meantime, maybe you can put together a group buy for gel pads for your brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, 50% of the buyers of a brand new, $44k car having issues with the seats in their car is definitely misrepresenting it. Please find me another new car of any brand or price with the same issue...I'll wait. In the meantime, maybe you can put together a group buy for gel pads for your brand new car.
Then that's it! THE BOLT SUCKS! I actually was inaccurate, I hang out at Chevybolt.org, but the same pics you posted were posted on a thread there about seat comfort, which is what I commented on. Regardless of either site and thread, some people find the seats comfortable and some find them uncomfortable. But to the BMW fan boyz there it is, someone said something bad about the Bolt and it is forever disqualified and the Bolt sucks because 20 people out of the 2,700 people that have bought the car, got on an internet website for the Bolt and commented about the seats.

I find the sports seats in both my E90 and Z4 uncomfortable, but it's a minor issue. Not all people fit all seats. But sure, I'll go through the entire internet, every site of every car model and search for seat complaints and get back to you pronto.

LOL
Appreciate 0