BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-22-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Anyone use the pull ahead to get into a 2017 i3?

What's your experience on lease return? Do they forgive miles and or worn tires if you re-lease another i3 or BMW?
Appreciate 1
Verdi250.00
      01-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
What's your experience on lease return? Do they forgive miles and or worn tires if you re-lease another i3 or BMW?
Doing it now.
Trouble is, I can't find the car that I want in BMW inventory. Might have to order.

Lease return will be the same, just happens X-many (up to 3) months early.

So if you are running over on miles, you will have collected even more if you had kept the car the extra 3 months. Same with wear'n'tear - returning early marginally helps, but there are no additional favors granted just because you are returning the car via "pull-ahead" vs. regular lease return.

Having said that, if you buy/lease another BMW though BMW FS (given for leases), some things are forgiven that otherwise would have cost you money: lease termination fee ($350), extra miles (upto a certain level, not sure what the limit is), but +1K over miles were waived for me a few years ago.

You still get the final bill for the old car, but BMW FS instructs you not to pay it. Once the paperwork for the new BMW FS transaction comes in and gets cross-referenced with your old final bill (2-3 months), it gets adjusted, and you will get a 0-rated final bill for the old lease.

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      01-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Doing it now.
Trouble is, I can't find the car that I want in BMW inventory. Might have to order.

Lease return will be the same, just happens X-many (up to 3) months early.

So if you are running over on miles, you will have collected even more if you had kept the car the extra 3 months. Same with wear'n'tear - returning early marginally helps, but there are no additional favors granted just because you are returning the car via "pull-ahead" vs. regular lease return.

Having said that, if you buy/lease another BMW though BMW FS (given for leases), some things are forgiven that otherwise would have cost you money: lease termination fee ($350), extra miles (upto a certain level, not sure what the limit is), but +1K over miles were waived for me a few years ago.

You still get the final bill for the old car, but BMW FS instructs you not to pay it. Once the paperwork for the new BMW FS transaction comes in and gets cross-referenced with your old final bill (2-3 months), it gets adjusted, and you will get a 0-rated final bill for the old lease.

YMMV,
a
Haha, seems like the two of us are doing the same things right now. I found a "storm trooper" that I'm ready to move on but the dealer threw on front plates (I hate front plates). If they don't find one to swap that doesn't have the plates then I'll just go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Haha, seems like the two of us are doing the same things right now. I found a "storm trooper" that I'm ready to move on but the dealer threw on front plates (I hate front plates). If they don't find one to swap that doesn't have the plates then I'll just go for it.
Yeah, finding a new car on a dealer's lot with just the features you would have configured yourself, is a real challenge. At least for me.

I am yet to accomplish that in my adult life.
Every time I go shopping for a new car, I end up ordering it from a factory instead.

Take this MY17 i3 shopping cycle, for example.
For the life of me I can't explain why dealers don't pre-order more Protonic Blue cars vs. some boring color. i3 looks funky (being generous here). You think people looking for an understated conservative ride are the types that tend to shop for an i3?

The closest I came to my build sheet was an i3 that also had "Tech & Drive Assist" pack and 20" wheels. The former is fluff to me (loaner i3's with ACC fails miserably driving down my street), and 20" summer wheels just introduce the extra cost of buying a winter wheel and tire set that I will never be able to use on any other car. i3 still handles poorly (suspension is way too soft, skinny / huge side-wall tires, massive tram-lining, zero steering feedback, etc, etc), so

So between the two understandable (to me) extras, I would be paying $(2275 + 1200) * (1- .64) = $1251 extra for the 24 months of the lease = $52/month more to get the car 4-6 weeks sooner ?!!? Or just wait another 4-6 weeks, and get exactly what I want for $52/month less. Not a difficult choice.

a

P.S.: I also hate front licence plates, but in the case of an i3, the plates don't make much of a dent in the i3 looks department.

Front plates on a beautiful face of an F8x or E9x M3 - now that would be a real shame. I wouldn't stand for that. See the pic of 5 generations of M3s at an autoX event last year.

i3 - meah.
I almost think horizontal Euro plates make i3's front end look better (see more pics). US plates - maybe not so much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
How does pull ahead work with regards to millage? Say I have 20k mile contract and I'm at 20k miles now. If I pull ahead 3 months early and I'm at my max millage already am I ok without having to pay for extra miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
How does pull ahead work with regards to millage? Say I have 20k mile contract and I'm at 20k miles now. If I pull ahead 3 months early and I'm at my max millage already am I ok without having to pay for extra miles?
Yes, you will be fine returning 3 months early with 20K miles.

Basically, pull ahead shortens the time-frame of the existing lease, without effecting any other variables. So mileage limit stays the same, all fees and conditions stay the same, lease return inspection terms stay the same.

The other thing to consider is that minor overage (within 1K miles) and previous lease return fee ($350) have historically been waived by BMW FS if you lease or finance another vehicle through BMW FS within 6 months or returning the old car.

So even if you return yours early with 21K miles, the $0.25 * (1K miles) + $350 = $600 will get zeroed out by BMW FS if you lease/finance another car with them.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Basically, pull ahead shortens the time-frame of the existing lease, without effecting any other variables. So mileage limit stays the same, all fees and conditions stay the same, lease return inspection terms stay the same.

The other thing to consider is that minor overage (within 1K miles) and previous lease return fee ($350) have historically been waived by BMW FS if you lease or finance another vehicle through BMW FS within 6 months or returning the old car.

So even if you return yours early with 21K miles, the $0.25 * (1K miles) + $350 = $600 will get zeroed out by BMW FS if you lease/finance another car with them.

HTH,
a
Truth. That was my experience when I earlied by 650iGC for the M4. I was 5 1/2 months early (they were allowing 6 at the time) and right at the total permitted mileage.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:

So just to confirm, I wouldn't still owe the remaining 3 payments or would I? They're not just taking the remaining payments and adding it to the new lease right?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
So just to confirm, I wouldn't still owe the remaining 3 payments or would I? They're not just taking the remaining payments and adding it to the new lease right?
Hahah, no its like payment forgiveness. Otherwise who would want to "pull ahead" lol
Appreciate 0