BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: Black 07 e90

Anyone add a sub?

Anybody add a sub to their i3 yet? I picked up a new 2017rex for my wife and I love driving it so much my 335i is driven about half as much as before. The lack of bass has me thinking of installing a JL Audio ACS110LG-TW1. I opted for the Harmon Kardon, but the bottom end is still lacking for my taste.
      02-11-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
Anybody add a sub to their i3 yet? I picked up a new 2017rex for my wife and I love driving it so much my 335i is driven about half as much as before. The lack of bass has me thinking of installing a JL Audio ACS110LG-TW1. I opted for the Harmon Kardon, but the bottom end is still lacking for my taste.
Yea I've been toying with the idea, I wonder ..... Do we have the two subs under the seat? I two have the Harmon Kardon option and want a tad more thunder as it where.

I know their are a few speakers that would increase the base and not take away the storage in the back. They fit in the floor boards and increase the stock size. I know the x5 went from 6" to 8" when the premium sound was chosen but not sure what the i3 has.

I'd probably start their and see what can be improved with those guys before adding a big space destroyer in the back.

I think bavsound makes a pair but not sure how much of an improvement over stock it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Google that model number I mentioned, far from a space destroyer, imo. It uses a shallow woofer and the whole box is only 5" deep, and the amp is built in to further save space. Just like the underseat options for other models, an upgrade won't address the sub bass frequency like a true sub will. Underseats are really more mid bass frequencies. And nothing made for the underseats will come close to handling 400w rms, especially at the .25 ohm impedance that this package is operating at. The hk system pushes 80w to each of the underseat midbass woofers. That's never going to produce much bass, even if you upgrade those underseats. More info about the hk system http://www.harmankardon.com/bmw-i3.html
      02-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea I've been toying with the idea, I wonder ..... Do we have the two subs under the seat? I two have the Harmon Kardon option and want a tad more thunder as it where.

I know their are a few speakers that would increase the base and not take away the storage in the back. They fit in the floor boards and increase the stock size. I know the x5 went from 6" to 8" when the premium sound was chosen but not sure what the i3 has.
Of my two past go-to sources for audio upgrades, Crutchfield has nothing for i3, and BavAuto lists a speaker kit (subs and amp upgrades n/a):
https://www.bavsound.com/BMW-Amplifier-Upgrade

Nice DIY speaker upgrade walk-through:

I can't find any other pre-packaged solutions that include subs for i3s.

I do wonder if the space occupied by a REX engine could be reclaimed to hold a sub, but will need to wait for my BEV to arrive (ETA mid-March) to explore first hand.

Quote:
I'd probably start their and see what can be improved with those guys before adding a big space destroyer in the back.

I think bavsound makes a pair but not sure how much of an improvement over stock it is.
Here is a review for BavSound speaker kit (installed on an 1M and an F30 - there are far too few i3 DIY-ers out there):

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/07/24/re...r-upgrade-kit/
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=910027

Another thing to consider is playing with HK equalizer settings.

The following made an appreciable difference for me in my M3 with HK sound (my old REX has crappy basic sound, and the new BEV with HK is still in transit).
This setup may, or may not, translate to the i3 HK. I also turned off logic7:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=77

a

Last edited by afadeev; 02-12-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

Thanks, I'll look into the info you provided. I'm not so much interested in swapping out any HK components, I just want to add bass. I feel like those kits are better intended for people with base audio who want to upgrade. The hk is actually quite good and has adequate amplification. I feel overall The hk system is great, but lacks the bottom end that I equate with a high fidelity setup.

I agree there are too few who own i3s AND are willing to DIY. I'm more than willing to be a guinea pig.
      02-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

The HK setup in the i3 unfortunately doesn't have EQ setup at least mine doesn't.

The BEV does have a big dead space to the right so a special box could be devised to be recessed into the space. Make it whether proof and your good.

I think something could work their.

The BAV sound subs are supposed to offer lots more base but to get all out of them you'd probably need the amp.

I'll probably wait and see what comes in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
[...]I feel overall The hk system is great, but lacks the bottom end that I equate with a high fidelity setup.

I agree there are too few who own i3s AND are willing to DIY. I'm more than willing to be a guinea pig.
Same here.
My Blueberry BEV just finished production, and should be in my garage in 4-6 weeks. Will start playing with it soon afterwards.

The REX is going back the same day, so I am not touching it any more.
Not even for warranty CE light repairs - got a new one pertaining to "lighting failure". I will let BMW deal with it in 4-6 weeks.

Quote:
The HK setup in the i3 unfortunately doesn't have EQ setup at least mine doesn't.
Weird.
I remember exploring HU module settings, and I recall references to equalizer and Navi settings that were not enabled on my car. I will go back once the new car arrives, and see what else I can dig up.

Quote:
The BAV sound subs are supposed to offer lots more base but to get all out of them you'd probably need the amp.

I'll probably wait and see what comes in the future.
BAV Ghost subs run off factory BMW amp:
https://www.bavsound.com/BMW-Underse...oofer-Upgrades

The trick is that non-i bimmers seam to have standardized on the under-seat factory subwoofer placement. OEM one may be a bit underpowered, but because it's there, Bav ones are 1-for-1 swap with factory ones, reusing factory wiring.

Alas, it does not look like i3 has the same factory sub, and thus no pre-wired housing to mount them into under the seats.

Fabricating a custom enclosure for the trunk should be straight forward, though I am not sure if the 8" Bav subs will be large enough when mounted in the trunk, under the carpeting, etc. Wiring will also need to be figured out.

a
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

All items ordered, just waiting for it all to show up so I can install it.

A custom box might be cool for those because folks, since I'm Rex I have no idea how much space is in there or what that would look like. My box will have one shallow line 10" and fit I'm the rear left side of the hatch.
      02-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

All items ordered, just waiting for it all to show up so I can install it.

A custom box might be cool for those because folks, since I'm Rex I have no idea how much space is in there or what that would look like. My box will have one shallow line 10" and fit I'm the rear left side of the hatch.