04-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Interesting. I can understand different standards organizations having slightly different ratings, but in this case, wouldn't the individual ratings of the electric motor and the Turbo-3 in the i8 also be different?

The i8 (according to the bmwusa.com i8 page) has a 231hp Turbo-3 motor, and a 131hp electric motor. The combined output is 357hp. All 3 specs are listed on the US site so I would imagine are all SAE. That's why I thought peaks. I can't remember where I read that, though.
Europeans also don't include the power drain of accessories/belts in their measurements. Which is becoming moot since things like steering, A/C, etc are being separated from their direct connections to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Interesting. I can understand different standards organizations having slightly different ratings, but in this case, wouldn't the individual ratings of the electric motor and the Turbo-3 in the i8 also be different?

The i8 (according to the bmwusa.com i8 page) has a 231hp Turbo-3 motor, and a 131hp electric motor. The combined output is 357hp. All 3 specs are listed on the US site so I would imagine are all SAE. That's why I thought peaks. I can't remember where I read that, though.
They just copied/pasted the text from the International release that uses European figures. Look here
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...fficiency.html

it says

Quote:
Powerful plug-in hybrid system
The intelligent plug-in hybrid system in the BMW i8 combines the benefits of an electric motor and a petrol engine into an extraordinary driving experience, where the highest efficiency and maximum dynamics are simultaneously possible. The electric drive, a powerful 131 hp (96 kW), is located on the front axle. The rear axle is driven by an authoritative BMW TwinPower Turbo 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol engine with 231 hp (170 kW) of peak performance and up to 320 Nm of torque. Combined with the electrical boost of the hybrid system, it guarantees typical BMW driving pleasure.
96kw = 131hp DIN = 129hp SAE
170kw = 231hp DIN = 228hp SAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Europeans also don't include the power drain of accessories/belts in their measurements. Which is becoming moot since things like steering, A/C, etc are being separated from their direct connections to the engine.
Sure they do. In fact, Europeans were using the accessories when measuring HP for much longer than Americans. Before 1972 US and Canada used gross HP.

Last edited by SickFinga; 04-23-2014 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #25
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Thanks for the clarification, @SickFinga, makes sense now.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jeff View Post
357 hp for 130k+.... I'll stick with a M car....BMW should of let M have a take at this car, like porsche 918 numbers...
I really think BMW will make something close to an M down the road. They have been putting off a super car for decades, so maybe we'll see it using this as a base....
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #27
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Strangely enough, the BMWUSA site now has revised the specs on the car again, this time changing the 0-60 mph to 4.5 sec. Particularly odd in that Road & Track's time at Willow Springs clocked 0-60 in 3.8 sec.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...i/BMWi8RD.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #28
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Strangely enough, the BMWUSA site now has revised the specs on the car again, this time changing the 0-60 mph to 4.5 sec. Particularly odd in that Road & Track's time at Willow Springs clocked 0-60 in 3.8 sec.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...i/BMWi8RD.aspx
That's gotta be a typo.

[ SideBar ] I see they added the EPA fuel economy rating at 94mpg... Pretty damn impressive!!

Hopefully they'll change it back and it's not some bizarre rating thing in the US. Either way, I'll go with the R&T numbers for my self-satisfaction.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

The crazy intro of the i8 continues on the BMWUSA site. They have now (again) revised the 0-60 mph time back to 4.2 secs. Why they changed it to 4.5 secs for a few weeks is beyond me, since we know from R&T testing that it can do it in 3.8 secs. Oh well, one of these days we'll actually have the car in our own hands and all of this changing intro information will be irrelevant. Maybe they keep changing the posted information just to give us something to blog about while waiting for order banks to open.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
The crazy intro of the i8 continues on the BMWUSA site. They have now (again) revised the 0-60 mph time back to 4.2 secs. Why they changed it to 4.5 secs for a few weeks is beyond me, since we know from R&T testing that it can do it in 3.8 secs. Oh well, one of these days we'll actually have the car in our own hands and all of this changing intro information will be irrelevant. Maybe they keep changing the posted information just to give us something to blog about while waiting for order banks to open.
I would chalk it up to the wrong code got pushed live by accident and now they've fixed the error. Notice that the mpg is also gone now, so they just went to the old page.

Agreed though... Soon, soon.
Appreciate 0