http://transportevolved.com/2013/11/...-drive-report/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Very interesting, especially as rumors have been that we nasty colonists won't be able to manually switch on the REX at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Read the comments and original article by Telegraph and it sheds more light on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The i3 is designed as a city car...it was never designed for long distance, extended speed driving. Energy needed goes up radically as speed increases. Used as intended, I don't see this as an issue. A rush to near its max speed won't kill it, but trying to stay there, will be a major impact on overall range. Trying to compare this to a vehicle designed more as a general purpose vehicle is going to lead to disappointments. Used as intended, most people would never experience this issue at all.

IOW, you have to be in the right mindset - should you treat it as a city car, it works, and works well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

You can overwhelm the REx if you try to (as the reporter for the Telegraph did) However if you understand the car, and how it works in REx mode, keep it under 80 when the generator is on you can basically drive it as long as you need to without any issue.

The range extender isn't meant to be a do-anything, drive at any speed auxiliary power unit. It primary purpose it to get you to where you need to go so you can plug in and recharge and to extend your range a bit on those days when the AER alone is insufficient. As long as you drive reasonably the REx is more than powerful enough to to what you need it to do.

However you can expect many more stories like the Telegraph piece. It's more sensational to write about how you were able to overwhelm the motor and how the car slowed down for a couple minutes than it is to say you followed instructions and it worked as it should.
      12-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

This topic has been getting lot of attention and until BMW allows people to thoroughly test the performance and limitations of the range extender the doubts and concerns will continue. I gave my take on the REx issue on a recent blog post and have asked BMW for an opportunity to test one once they are ready to allow thorough testing.

This is a big issue for many people considering the car as they don't know if the range extender will be robust enough to warrant the $3,850 it costs here in the US since there will not be a manual override here due to CARB restrictions.
      12-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the very solid responses Tom, it's nice to hear a little more explanation on the Rex.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Thanks for the very solid responses Tom, it's nice to hear a little more explanation on the Rex.
Sure Red Beard. I hope to get an i3 REx sometime after the new year to really give it the thorough test it needs. The questions many people have need to be answered. I know people on the fence whether to order the BEV i3 or the REx i3 and the ambiguity of what it can and cannot do it unsettling. They want clarity and deserve to have it.
      12-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Sure Red Beard. I hope to get an i3 REx sometime after the new year to really give it the thorough test it needs. The questions many people have need to be answered. I know people on the fence whether to order the BEV i3 or the REx i3 and the ambiguity of what it can and cannot do it unsettling. They want clarity and deserve to have it.
Excellent, thanks. Once you have one to test, would it be possible to determine if adding the switch to manually engage REX will be as easy as just swapping the rear fog light switch on other BMW's? I realize this would make me a scofflaw of the highest order.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Excellent, thanks. Once you have one to test, would it be possible to determine if adding the switch to manually engage REX will be as easy as just swapping the rear fog light switch on other BMW's? I realize this would make me a scofflaw of the highest order.
I can assure you there will be a hack to override that feature within months of it's availability if not sooner!