BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #23
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I read somewhere that its actually the first 45mph that the i3 holds its own against an M3. Everything after that is all HP and the M3 will smoke it hahaha
Sorry, there is nothing faster about i3 vs. M3.
Ask me how I know.

M3 is a mildly domesticated race car with near-super-car performance.
i3 is a short-distance green and economical commuter vehicle.

Both are very cool in their own ways.
Both deserve consideration for space in your garage, but for very different reasons.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #24
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Ask me how I know.

Both deserve consideration for space in your garage, but for very different reasons.

a
It's not faster overall, for sure, but it is accurate to say that the i3 will get off the line faster than the M3 and for a very short time will outpace the M3. That's the effect of instant full torque.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #25
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Ask me how I know.

a
Since you have both (I'd test it myself but I don't my F80 yet) why don't you do an off the line test for us all and maybe tape it? I mean, I just heard somewhere on the forums so I can't say its true or not. That will prove or disprove once and for all
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #26
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Its not an F80 but the E92 M3 that they did the comparison. But I think this where I heard others mention about that 0-40/45 in the i3 was on par or quicker than the M3.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=911080
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #27
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Seriously
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #28
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The i3 will beat most vehicles (and all other BMW's) off the line up to about 30mph...above that, it's horsepower limited and many vehicles will then pull ahead. COnsider the instant maximum torque and no shifting you get from an electric, single speed transmission motor. An M3 will be making a lot of noise in the process - some like that, some don't. As a stealth city pocket rocket, the i3 holds its own quite well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #29
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3toM View Post
It's not faster overall, for sure, but it is accurate to say that the i3 will get off the line faster than the M3 and for a very short time will outpace the M3. That's the effect of instant full torque.
The challenge with torque (and S55 has 406 lb-ft of it from 1,850) is putting it on the ground. M3 is very much traction limited in acceleration. Electronically controlled diff helps, as do 275mm Pilot Super Sports, but it's still a challenge to keep the wheel spin under control during launch on the way to 0-60mph in 3.9 seconds (with DCT). i3 rides on motorcycle-width all-seasons.

i3 has 184 lb-ft from the second you touch the accelerator, which is not bad at all, but still less than 1/2 of that of the M3. Still, i3 is lighter (2900 with REX) vs. ~3550 for M3. So it should get a momentary lead on M3 with acceleration.

I do love both cars.
Just saying that comparing the two is like arguing on the relative merits between passenger and fighter jets. They have something in common, but each one is optimized for a very different task, and are not really interchangeable.

I am on the road this week, but will try acceleration runs over the weekend.
What's a good app for that ?

a
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #30
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

You need something that samples at a high rate since either car can get to 30-40mph very quickly. There are some videos out there of the i3 dragging from stopped, and, certainly above a threshold, higher powered cars do easily beat it to higher speeds and way beyond what the i3 is capable of, but with no lag (even your M3 takes a few moments at that lower rpm for the turbo to spin up)...it can only produce that torque at a constant RPM, not instantaneously while passing through. The traction control is also a lot more instantaneous on the i3 - adjusting power output is much faster than adjusting fuel input to help prevent wheelspin. I'm not sure if the M would need to shift to reach 30mph or not, but that takes a moment, too. The nice thing about the i3 is that it can do this time after time in a crowded city and not draw angry stares from other drivers or pedestrians (or the police!). Full-bore starts on an ICE in a city is frowned on. On an EV, many people would never notice.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

lol for fun I downloaded an app that lets me select a range of car engines ranging from Ferrari, Porch, Lamborghini and many more, it uses the accelerometer and GPS to adjust sound and shifting but it's funny how full bore acceleration is so different without sound in the I3.

You really don't get a true sense of speed... Well at least I don't anyway.
It's like watching a scary movie in mute. It looses its bite.

Even though my i3 can accelerate as quick as my 135 did up to 30 to 40 it feels slower because I don't have the sensory overload from a vibrating and screaming engine under the hood. All that loud noise gives even a greater sense of speed.

After using the app and having a laugh witch sounded great on the HK system it did feel faster, just placebo but the sound made a difference.

It's kinda like when I auto cross my cars, the classics that I drive feel faster as they are driver cars and no frills and loud as hades, but the newer ones are faster and all but they are smooth and planted and quiet in comparison but feel slower. It's a funny feeling but I tell you the sound of the engine has an effect.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #32
pookguy
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I ended up trading the M3 for an X3 35i. Dog is happier in that now
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy View Post
I ended up trading the M3 for an X3 35i. Dog is happier in that now
Its important to have a happy dog, but man.. i could not bear to part with my F80 M3 unless it was for a 911TT or GT3 caliber of car

(I am however, considering replacing my wife's 335 with an i3.. no sense in having 2 gas family sedans around)
Appreciate 0