BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

IND | i3 Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap DIY

i3 BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cover DIY

Year by year and chassis by chassis, the BMW Performance division has done an incredible job at developing high quality carbon fiber pieces for their vehicles. With the release of the F3X 3 series and 4 series as well as the F22 2 series, BMW began using a variety of cross compatible components. To our surprise, one of these components matched up with the BMW i3. The BMW Performance carbon fiber mirror caps are a full carbon and a complete factory replacement.

Below is a step by step installation for these covers. As always, we welcome feedback and alternatives. There are many ways to install components and the guide below provides insight into how our technicians remove these pieces. If at any point you do not feel comfortable with the installation process, then contact a body shop or your local BMW dealer for assistance.

Enjoy!

Step 1:
The factory BMW i3 mirror covers are held in place with a series of plastic tabs. The first step in the process is to remove these factory covers. There are two ways to do this
  • Option 1 | Use a trim removal tool and apply pressure between the mirror cover and the base. Work your way across the top of the cover and the factory piece should pop out with ease.
  • Option 2 | You can use your hands, but be careful of the pressure and it is possible to break the tabs on the underside of the cover.
Step 2:
Use your finger and apply pressure to the top of the mirror glass. The goal is to gain access to the mirror glass attachment that is a circular piece behind the glass.

Step 3:
Using a trim tool, locate the circular mounting clip behind the glass and remove the glass. KEEP ONE HAND ON THE GLASS WHILE DOING THIS.

Step 4:
With the mirror glass removed you do not need to undo the PnP connector to the glass. We simply rested the glass on the ledge. If you would like, grab a microfiber towel and place this between the glass and window ledge

Step 5:
The BMW Performance carbon fiber mirror caps are installed with three screws and washers (provided). In order to use these screws you must break the three plastic tabs shown below. You can use your fingers or a set of needle nose plyers to break them.

Step 6:
Place the carbon fiber mirror cover in position. While maintaining a hand on the cover, fasten the three screws and washers on the inside of the mirror housing.

Step 7:
Re-install the mirror glass by clicking it in place.

Step 8:
Readjust your mirrors, charge up the i3, and go for a cruise

Last edited by Ryan@IND; 05-20-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
dooky
Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530e

Looks good. Do u have any pics of the whole car? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooky View Post
Looks good. Do u have any pics of the whole car? Thanks.
Photo shoot coming soon
      06-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Installed shots

06-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
Cool but that looks like an awful lot of work
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

great look

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0