BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Leasing a Demo/Service Loaner?

Hoping to get some insight from current i3 drivers.... what are your thoughts on leasing a demo/service loaner with low mileage? Normally, I wouldn't be interested but for some reason I'm thinking it wouldn't be an issue on an electric car (have no clue where my illogical reasoning is coming from!)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea with electric it doesn't really matter other than perhaps the seats been sat in by others other than yourself and it has more miles on it which depreciates it faster and possible a abrasions from people not being carful getting in and out but otherwise their is little their that would have or could have had the chance to be abused. Like break in period on an ICE and stuff.

But if your leasing then it matters even less
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea with electric it doesn't really matter other than perhaps the seats been sat in by others other than yourself and it has more miles on it which depreciates it faster and possible a abrasions from people not being carful getting in and out but otherwise their is little their that would have or could have had the chance to be abused. Like break in period on an ICE and stuff.

But if your leasing then it matters even less
I agree. The car in question only has 2k miles so it's not that bad. I feel like the fact that its electric would be interesting enough that people would focus on the car's differences/uniqueness to most BMWS rather than abusing the thing. Definitely going to consider it. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095 View Post
I agree. The car in question only has 2k miles so it's not that bad. I feel like the fact that its electric would be interesting enough that people would focus on the car's differences/uniqueness to most BMWS rather than abusing the thing. Definitely going to consider it. Thanks for the input.
From leasing perspective, I see few downsides.

As long as any cosmetic damage (interior/exterior) is either documented of fixed, you should have no problem returning the car at the end of the lease.
It's hard to abuse and i3 engine, and 2K miles are nothing. Just inspect the tires to make sure they weren't autoX-ed excessively (don't ask, don't tell).

The only way this proposition would bother me is if:
1). I was obsessive about getting my butt into brand new cars with new car smell.
2). The lease return car in question didn't have some option I really wanted. Or came in some hideous (to me) color combination. In a case of i3, I find all colors underwhelming. Though I take particular exception to the ikea-shelving inspired interior of Giga package

Assuming you are OK with #1 and #2, give it a shot.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 05-18-2015 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
From leasing perspective, I see few downside.

As long as any cosmetic damage (interior/exterior) is either documented of fixed, you should have no problem returning the car at the end of the lease.
It's hard to abuse and i3 engine, and 2K miles are nothing. Just inspect the tires to make sure they weren't autoX-ed excessively (don't ask, don't tell).

The only way this proposition would bother me is if:
1). I was obsessive about getting my butt into brand new cars with new car smell.
2). The lease return car in question didn't have some option I really wanted. Or came in some hideous (to me) color combination. In a case of i3, I find all colors underwhelming. Though I take particular exception to the ikea-shelving inspired interior of Giga package

Assuming you are OK with #1 and #2, give it a shot.

a
Thanks for the comments Alex! I would definitely need to inspect the car in person and document anything potential with the dealer. Good point on the tires... wouldn't have thought of that. I have to wait until tomorrow to find out what cars will be available (color combo is important!)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095 View Post
Hoping to get some insight from current i3 drivers.... what are your thoughts on leasing a demo/service loaner with low mileage? Normally, I wouldn't be interested but for some reason I'm thinking it wouldn't be an issue on an electric car (have no clue where my illogical reasoning is coming from!)
I have looked into one dealer demo with 1000 miles on it and ran the numbers. The most significant downside was that it did not qualify for $2,000 Build-Out Cash so the lease payment ended up pretty much the same as a brand new i3 on the lot...

Last edited by boulderado; 05-18-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
rabenoja
Rep
Drives: 15 X5 35i

Don't worry about the mileage, especially since it's a lease. Like the others have mentioned, give it a once over, make sure the the tires haven't been abused (which I highly doubt), and you should be golden.

Try to negotiate your purchase price down to what the used cars are being marketed for. Once you have that pricing set, make them give you the lease cash/rebate and you'll be set.

My car was a BMW Executive Demo and it came with ~600 miles so it was essentially brand new. I've put about 3,000 miles on it already and it has been trouble free.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0