BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Charging for Beginners

Hi everyone,

I've been contemplating an i3 and my local dealer was kind enough to let me borrow one for the day. Being completely new to the EV world, I have a few basic questions regarding charging:

They gave me a charging cable that plugs into a standard 3-prong outlet. If I leave it plugged in overnight will it continue to draw electricity/overcharge the battery or does it cut off power at 100%? I don't want to be wasting electricity. Also, I read online that you can use an app to show % of battery. Is this worth using? If I'm missing anything I should know please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095
Hi everyone,

I've been contemplating an i3 and my local dealer was kind enough to let me borrow one for the day. Being completely new to the EV world, I have a few basic questions regarding charging:

They gave me a charging cable that plugs into a standard 3-prong outlet. If I leave it plugged in overnight will it continue to draw electricity/overcharge the battery or does it cut off power at 100%? I don't want to be wasting electricity. Also, I read online that you can use an app to show % of battery. Is this worth using? If I'm missing anything I should know please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
No worries it will shut off when done .

You need to own the car to use the app. At least I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095 View Post
They gave me a charging cable that plugs into a standard 3-prong outlet. If I leave it plugged in overnight will it continue to draw electricity/overcharge the battery or does it cut off power at 100%? I don't want to be wasting electricity.
Car charger shuts off when fully powered.
Car can be programmed to pre-heat/cool before departure while still plugged in, but that's an optional feature.
However, with the loaner 120V cable, you will be lucky to achieve full charge overnight. It takes ~20 hours to go from 0 to 100% using Level-1 120V charger. Basically, 120V charging is for emergencies only, and can't be relied on for daily use.
If you have to rely on your i3 loaner for multiple days, you will need to find a local ChargePoint.com charging station and payup for faster Level-2 240V charging access (download the app!)

Quote:
Also, I read online that you can use an app to show % of battery. Is this worth using? If I'm missing anything I should know please advise.
"BMW i Remote" App is cool and useful for monitoring charging progress (as well as tracking the car and tracking many other historical data points), but can only be used after the owners pairs it to his/her account.
That app on-boarding process is not available for dealer loaner vehicles.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The car's internal logic automatically maintains a safety buffer in the battery charge at both the top and the bottom, meaning, it won't let you overcharge or deplete the batteries which makes them last much longer. WHen it says 100%, it's not really, nor when it says 0%, is the battery actually fully discharged.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Car charger shuts off when fully powered.
Car can be programmed to pre-heat/cool before departure while still plugged in, but that's an optional feature.
However, with the loaner 120V cable, you will be lucky to achieve full charge overnight. It takes ~20 hours to go from 0 to 100% using Level-1 120V charger. Basically, 120V charging is for emergencies only, and can't be relied on for daily use.
If you have to rely on your i3 loaner for multiple days, you will need to find a local ChargePoint.com charging station and payup for faster Level-2 240V charging access (download the app!)

"BMW i Remote" App is cool and useful for monitoring charging progress (as well as tracking the car and tracking many other historical data points), but can only be used after the owners pairs it to his/her account.
That app on-boarding process is not available for dealer loaner vehicles.

a
Ok thanks. How much does it cost to install a level 2 charger?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Ok thanks. How much does it cost to install a level 2 charger?
You can buy one for $500-$1000 (higher end covered by BMW's branded Schneider unit).

Installation will vary depending on location's layout and logistics (need at least 40 Amp circuit, plug vs. hard wiring, etc). I had re-used the electrical drier plug and wiring in my house, to installation was ~30 minutes of DIY labor.

a
Appreciate 0