BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

few observatinos/annoyances after first month of i3 ownership

Folks,
We've had our i3-REX for a month and ~1.5K miles, and here are some of the initial minor annoyances that I wish I could solve. Perhaps, a solution is out there, and I am just not aware of it. So I figured I list them for validation and feedback.

In no particular order:
- doors lock when you start driving (there is a way to stop that on F80, but I can't find one on i3), but only the doors and not the trunk unlock when you come to a stop. If you need to retrieve anything out of the trunk, you need to remember to unlock in manually.
- accidental hood unlatching - the hood unlatch button is roughly in the area that my left foot kicks when I get in/our of the car, or search for the dead pedal to rest it. I've done this 3 or 4 times, required to pull over and re-lock the hood.
- front hood's storage compartment is not properly insulated from the elements. Over time, I'm accumulating dirt and debris in that box. It will get messier in the winter.
- non-linear charging speed (from my L2 50Amp 240V charger). It seams that during the first 15-30 minutes, the car charges at a significantly slower rate than advertised 7Kw/hr. Afterwards, charging rate does speed up, and the car charges to full from near zero in ~3 hours. So the charger is working as advertised. This messes with the effectiveness of quick "charge up" stops, and also means that "i Remote app" estimation of charge complete time is always wrong.
- highway speed directional stability is challenged by the slightest of cross winds. This is not an alignment complaint: the car tracks straight. Just not when there are any winds blowing across the highway. Some of the gusts product enough of a directional change to require all hands on deck correction.

Any suggested solutions to the above?
What else am I missing?

a

Last edited by afadeev; 06-01-2015 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Hi I'm from the UK and from plug in I'm pulling 7.25kW in 10 seconds

I've heavily specced mine and am somewhat disappointed with the exterior sound which is really quiet and the driving assistant plus which I thought was an anti collision device but just seems to flash up a picture of the car on the dash display.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The only reason I can think of that the car would not start to use the full power when first plugged in is if the batteries are hot, and it needs to cool them down some first. There may be other reasons, one of which is a poor connection to the pilot signal from the EVSE, which is what tells the vehicle how much power is available...a loose connection there might 'lie' to the car about how much is available, and the car is just responding accordingly. That relies on a good ground as well to complete that circuit.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex View Post
I've heavily specced mine and am somewhat disappointed with the exterior sound which is really quiet and the driving assistant plus which I thought was an anti collision device but just seems to flash up a picture of the car on the dash display.
Speaking of the sound, or actually the lack thereof: I've had to ABS-brake at least three times in parking lots to avoid running over pedestrians that did not hear me coming. One time in an underground garage at work, other times in public places. Without audible warning of an incoming car to distract people from staring at their cell phones or day dreaming, i3 is a bit of a pedestrian death trap.

Lack of sound works against you in another way - I can not rev my engine to scare jay-walkers from crossing the street in front of me. If any of you drive in NYC - getting through pedestrian crossing intersections is an extra challenge

Nothing to be done about that.
Just need to be extra-vigilant driving around parking lots and pedestrian friendly areas.

a
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the pedestrian warning system offered as optional in other markets? Maybe easy, may be hard, especially if it requires reprogramming the car...every time the car went in for service where they needed to deal with the firmware, it would default back to the USA stock coding when they put in an update. The firmware updates are keyed to the factory information based on the VIN as delivered, not the updated hardware you may have added.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I had one of these for two days and found the same thing having to correct the driving line in tight or windy conditions. What the car needs is sports mode so as to tighten up the steering when required.
      06-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

The tram lining is caused mostly by the narrow tires. We drove a smart car for about a year and it did the same thing but to an even greater extent. The tall and narrow tires walk pretty bad. Side Wind will just Aggravate it and make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Tall and small car, with a narrow track, so it is to be expected that cross winds will affect it.

I have not noticed abnormally poor tramlining. In fact the narrow tyres are surprisingly good, considering their width.

About pedestrians, I have never had that problem as I normally drive "defensively" with the assumption that other road users have not seen me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH
Tall and small car, with a narrow track, so it is to be expected that cross winds will affect it.

I have not noticed abnormally poor tramlining. In fact the narrow tyres are surprisingly good, considering their width.

About pedestrians, I have never had that problem as I normally drive "defensively" with the assumption that other road users have not seen me.
Yea actually I was driving down my side street and a dog ran right out in front of me, from between two parked cars, the i3's warning beepers inside went nuts and the car just stopped without me even reacting. Dog was just fine and never looked back.

Wonder if it would do that for a squirrel.

Either way very impressed with that feature.
Worked great!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

doors lock when you start driving (there is a way to stop that on F80, but I can't find one on i3), but only the doors and not the trunk unlock when you come to a stop. If you need to retrieve anything out of the trunk, you need to remember to unlock in manually.

Go to main menu, settings, doors/keys. Uncheck "lock when starting to drive".
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
The tram lining is caused mostly by the narrow tires. We drove a smart car for about a year and it did the same thing but to an even greater extent. The tall and narrow tires walk pretty bad. Side Wind will just Aggravate it and make it worse.
It's not the tires it's the sloppy steering. You can get tram lining on a Z4 with huge wide tires BMW have solved this with softer suspension. BMW have told me the i3 is for slow city driving which limits the car.
      06-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
It's not the tires it's the sloppy steering. You can get tram lining on a Z4 with huge wide tires BMW have solved this with softer suspension. BMW have told me the i3 is for slow city driving which limits the car.
The steering is not sloppy at all.

On the smart we replaced the thin narrow front tires with the rear thicker tires and the tram lining went away.

On the Mini Cooper the tram lining was bad with runflats and mostly went away after non runflats were installed.

The narrow tires I bet you are a big culprit for it more than the steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
It's not the tires it's the sloppy steering.

You are 100% wrong there. The steering is very precise, and sharp.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #14
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
You are 100% wrong there. The steering is very precise, and sharp.
No i'm not wrong, even my wife made a commit about the sloppy steering and its uncomfortable front seats when she had a drive. I really wanted to buy the i3 but not after our test drive.
      06-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It seems we will agree to differ on that then.

I suspect your (or your wife's) view of "sloppy" steering is rather a reflection of the fact it is highly geared, and therefore seems "twitchy" to those who are used to low geared steering.

"Sloppy" in my opinion refers to play in steering, or the old recirculating ball systems.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #16
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

BMW tells you that the front storage area is not water-tight. If you must put something in there that could be affected by weather, you might want to look into their storage bag, or just use whatever that is going to provide the needed protection. With the light, somewhat flexible hood, trying to seal it would add a lot of weight and complexity. With the compressor and EVSE in there, there isn't really a lot of extra room.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH

Yea actually I was driving down my side street and a dog ran right out in front of me, from between two parked cars, the i3's warning beepers inside went nuts and the car just stopped without me even reacting. Dog was just fine and never looked back.

Wonder if it would do that for a squirrel.

Either way very impressed with that feature.
Worked great!
Does not work with squirrel and that is a proven fact. Poor little guy almost didn't make it
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 01:17 AM   #18
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Nor does it work with an uninsured coyote. Coyote lost. I'm suing his estate.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky
Nor does it work with an uninsured coyote. Coyote lost. I'm suing his estate.
Lol poor coyote !

If I would have hit the dog it would just killed me. Looks like it was the dogs lucky day .
Appreciate 0