BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Stop & Go Cruise Info

Does anyone have the i3 with the Stop & Go adaptive cruise feature? How is it in traffic? Will the car actually come to a full stop and then start moving again when traffic begins moving? Mostly referring to highway driving when there is stop and go traffic.

Thanks for any insights!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero
Does anyone have the i3 with the Stop & Go adaptive cruise feature? How is it in traffic? Will the car actually come to a full stop and then start moving again when traffic begins moving? Mostly referring to highway driving when there is stop and go traffic.

Thanks for any insights!
Yes sir it does come to a full stop and when the traffic starts again you have to hit the resume button if you come to a complete stop. It's a little slow to keep up after the traffic starts again but that's ok.

It's still kind of strange for me and it makes me nervous trusting the machine but otherwise never had an issue with it.

If you come into direct sunlight you may get an error and then it won't work till the car resets.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Yes I commonly use it in traffic on the commute home. It's pretty strange honestly, how it just keeps the space, even when a car cuts in, the i3 will brake (sometimes a little hard) to maintain a safe distance that you set.

Only time I freaked was because I was used to it always automatically stopping behind other cars at red lights and once I had nobody in front of me I forgot the camera sensor doesn't read red lights, I had to brake a little hard lol.

All in all, pretty cool. Not like the i3 is much of a highway cruiser so the city is the only place I get to use it.
      06-11-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

If the stop is over a few seconds, you have to hit resume, otherwise, it will just start up again on its own with traffic. It works in stop and go, but also works out on the highway. Come up on a slower vehicle and it matches the speed. Pull out to pass and if there's room based on how you've set the following distance, it will speed back up to your set point. On a really bright day with dark shadows, it can get confused and shut off. You can turn the adaptive part off and it will then act like a normal cruise control if you run into that. It also may get confused on a curvy road, especially if the road markings are worn off. It will fairly dramatically stop or slow if a car rolls too fast at a crossroad and might intersect your path and it will do that with a pedestrian or larger animal as well. I'm usually able to predict that, and if I see it's not a problem, give the go pedal a little pressure and maintain speed past that, and shortly afterwards it will resume on its own. All in all, it is nice. It defaults to the max gap each time you turn the car on, and some people don't like that. Personally, it really peeves me when someone is on my tail, and I like to keep a good gap. Aggressive drivers will hate it as it can sometimes invite someone to cut in front of you. For the most part, I'm past needing to be the first one or the fastest one...smooth is good! I didn't think I'd like it, but I do, and will probably opt for that option on my next car as well. It will only get better. You can always turn it off if your situation or mood dictates otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

So how does it use the road markings? I thought it was a radar to set the distance between the car in front.

Does anyone know if you can code it using ESYS to pull away automatically?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

It does not seem to care about road markings.

I will tell you that my experience has been generally positive, in fact in most traffic I set the speed to 20 over speed limit and let it just follow the car ahead of me. I use the "minimum" distance and it is still a bit too much. It is overly cautious and will sometimes think an oncoming car (like a big truck) is a car and slow down suddenly.

But it works, combine it with Eco Pro for a "smoother" drive and less urgent brake/acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The system in the i3 relies entirely on the camera mounted in front of the rear-view mirror, it does not use radar. It might augment it with the ultrasonic sensors at close range, but I'm not sure. The camera can see road markings...whether it uses them for sure, I am not certain, but I've noticed it having issues on a curve without them and approaching traffic. It uses the same camera to read the speed limit signs, if you have the professional nav.

The i3 does not support lane keeping in the USA, but it apparently does in other markets...same camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
The system in the i3 relies entirely on the camera mounted in front of the rear-view mirror, it does not use radar. It might augment it with the ultrasonic sensors at close range, but I'm not sure. The camera can see road markings...whether it uses them for sure, I am not certain, but I've noticed it having issues on a curve without them and approaching traffic. It uses the same camera to read the speed limit signs, if you have the professional nav.

The i3 does not support lane keeping in the USA, but it apparently does in other markets...same camera.
Wonder if some of that is retrofittable....lane keeping....

The MPH readout uses the NAV system not the camera. As when I turn on a street from a parking lot it goes from dashes to the correct mph with no sign in sight.

As my NAV on my aftermarket head unit in the mini shows mph of the road and goes red if I'm over the speed limit.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, the user manual says it is camera recognition, and my experience implies it does not use that info from the map database. I can go long distances without it showing any speed limit info, pass a sign, and a few seconds later, it pops up on the display. This may or may not be different than other BMW's, and certainly is relative to some other brands and stand-alone nav systems. The nav system might be smart enough to know after leaving a parking lot that you're on the same road as when you went in, so there may not need to be a sign for it to see..it has that in its history.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
Well, the user manual says it is camera recognition, and my experience implies it does not use that info from the map database. I can go long distances without it showing any speed limit info, pass a sign, and a few seconds later, it pops up on the display. This may or may not be different than other BMW's, and certainly is relative to some other brands and stand-alone nav systems. The nav system might be smart enough to know after leaving a parking lot that you're on the same road as when you went in, so there may not need to be a sign for it to see..it has that in its history.
Did some research and its definitely not the camera by itself. It uses the camera but also uses the navigation as well.

I agree the camera does a lot of stuff but regulating the speed limit display by itself without help is not one of them.

It cross references the image of the street signs with the knowledge collected from the NAV system to check to see if it's out of date. And updates accordingly.

So in essence it uses the NAV system mainly but uses the camera to keep a vigilant eye on ever changing world and updates the data if incorrect.

That's why it knows when I'm in a school zone and shows 20mph on my ip instead of 35 mph
Like the sign shows.

Pretty cool stuff indeed !!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...imit_info.html" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bmw.com/c..._info.html</a>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...o.html</a></a>
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
I do not have it in either one of my bimmers, but the loaner i3 I got last month had it.
I hated the adoptive cruise control (ACC) for two reasons:
1). It is way too conservative for tight stop'n'go NE traffic, leaving way too much of a gap (even in Minimum distance setting) where other cars constantly cut in front of you. At which point the ACC backs off some more, and yet another car cuts in front. Repeat as necessary.
2). ACC would try to slow down for each and every parallel parked car on the side of the road. That was downright dangerous and unusable.

I turned it OFF.

a
Appreciate 0