BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Charging i3 v plug-ins

The UK brochure says charging i3 from a standard socket takes 8 to 10 hours ("standard mode 2") or less than 3 hours using the wall box. A big difference for the 18.8kWh battery.

For the X5 40e with its 9.0kWh battery (so half i3 battery size) these times are 3hrs 50mins and 2hrs 45 mins.

Strikes me whilst the walk box makes a lot of sense for the i3, for plug ins like the X5 it seems pretty pointless, as mains power is perfectly manageable overnight and not a cheap installation. Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5plug-in View Post
The UK brochure says charging i3 from a standard socket takes 8 to 10 hours ("standard mode 2") or less than 3 hours using the wall box. A big difference for the 18.8kWh battery.

For the X5 40e with its 9.0kWh battery (so half i3 battery size) these times are 3hrs 50mins and 2hrs 45 mins.

Strikes me whilst the walk box makes a lot of sense for the i3, for plug ins like the X5 it seems pretty pointless, as mains power is perfectly manageable overnight and not a cheap installation. Or am I missing something?
You are correct, the same can be said of the i8. In the i8 they don't even seem to have built a high rate charger into the car, so L2 (high rate) doesn't really gain as much as it would. I am guessing the same applies to the X5, the onboard charger really isn't taking full advantage of available power anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for confirming. As the X5 approach seems to be coming to all models - 3 and 7 Series next - it will be interesting to see how this develops. Clearly what is possible is constrained by weight, space and cost. Still hoping that as a package the X5e is worth having for low mileage commuters.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. As the X5 approach seems to be coming to all models - 3 and 7 Series next - it will be interesting to see how this develops. Clearly what is possible is constrained by weight, space and cost. Still hoping that as a package the X5e is worth having for low mileage commuters.
Curious, what is the estimated range on an X5 with 9 KWHr battery? I would guess maybe 25 miles?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Since the actual recharging circuits are in the car and the EVSE is essentially a fancy on/off switch, it is both the EVSE's max output and the vehicles on-board charging circuits that determine how fast the vehicle can be recharged. Essentially, those are a big acv-dcv power supply, and they both take up room and generate heat...the bigger they are imposes both weight, size, and cost issues. It's always a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

X5 battery only range for UK is quoted at 19 miles - your 25 was a good guess. However in the US it seems now to be quoted as 13 miles, which is odd and frankly a worry as you only have a 2.0l turbo when the E juice runs out.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
X5 battery only range for UK is quoted at 19 miles - your 25 was a good guess. However in the US it seems now to be quoted as 13 miles, which is odd and frankly a worry as you only have a 2.0l turbo when the E juice runs out.
I hate to tell you but it seems the european range tests seem to always be WAY optimistic, and the US ones only slightly. So for example I think the i8 is quoted at 25 miles european and only 20 US, and really it is work to get to 20.

So because of weight of the car the 10-13 may be about right!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Boo! I need 12 miles for my commute to be all electric, so may have to leave the wife at home! Seriously was reading another thread about how the ambient temperature effects range, so via the app may be that the prewarm app feature is actually about putting warmth through the battery as much as the passengers. Amazing that the Philae probe is recharging at 0'C on a speeding asteroid and yet 13 miles is all mere X5e drivers are going to get here on Earth.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Boo! I need 12 miles for my commute to be all electric, so may have to leave the wife at home! Seriously was reading another thread about how the ambient temperature effects range, so via the app may be that the prewarm app feature is actually about putting warmth through the battery as much as the passengers. Amazing that the Philae probe is recharging at 0'C on a speeding asteroid and yet 13 miles is all mere X5e drivers are going to get here on Earth.
Yes temperature absolutely does, but there are two factors: one is the obvious "battery cold less capacity" which the preconditioning should help. I don't have any personal experience with preconditioning of BMWs in winter and how it impact range (I am sure other owners here can tell you).

But the other one, which can't be avoided, is the denser air causes more air drag on the car. And this also reduces useful range in cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the levels in EVSE's are based on the input voltage, not their output capacity. A level 1 unit uses 120vac input, a level 2 unit uses 240vac input. If the vehicle has a dc input, that's the quickest way to recharge it, but CCS units are generally impossible to install in a conventional house as it takes higher voltages and a lot of current. To get the max capacity on say the i3, it needs to be capable of delivering 50Kw/hr...at around 380vdc, that's a lot of amps and those available need more than 240vac to operate.

In Europe, they have a third option...multi-phase EVSE's, but not in each market, and not every manufacturer has implemented it.

Because the normal voltage in Europe is 220-240vac, the unit sold with the i3 (and probably other BMW's that can use it) is a level 2 unit, but not a particularly high current one (about the same as the US version 12A, but at 240vac verses 120vac, it provides double the watts output at the same amps).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #11
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the insight. Changing tack, as I noted on another thread, I have also consistently observed a 3mpg drop on switching to identically sized winter tyres (so same temp / weather) with my diesel, which you might argue shows the extra rolling grip they generate. Again not sure if this then becomes an X5e range issue to add to the battery temp effect should you swap to Winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Changing tack, as I noted on another thread, I have also consistently observed a 3mpg drop on switching to identically sized winter tyres (so same temp / weather) with my diesel, which you might argue shows the extra rolling grip they generate. Again not sure if this then becomes an X5e range issue to add to the battery temp effect should you swap to Winter tyres.
Both rolling resistance and tire pressure change the efficiency of the car regardless of drive train. From what I've seen reported by other drivers in other forums you will see a big hit with winter tires. I generally find over-inflating by 3-4 PSI definitely helps with reducing contact area and resistance, but not sure how it will help with your tire wear in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Low-rolling resistance versions of the tires, and the i3's are designed for that, will be better than 'normal' versions. On my other car, the penalty for winter tires is about 10% in my mpg use, but some of that can also be accounted for by the switch to winter fuels which tend to have more alcohol in them where I live, which has less energy/volume than gasoline. It's rare for me to find 100% gasoline unadulterated by alcohol unless I'm driving a very far distance away from home as all of the states near me are required to have it in the mix. The difference in air density between 80F and 30F is about 9.4% (0.074:0.081), so yes, that could account for some of it. I think the biggest difference in typical winter driving mileage is that it takes longer to reach full operating efficiency, so it is much less of an effect on longer trips than many shorter ones. At least on the i3, you can reach that optimum operating point if you precondition and set a departure time. Starting up an ICE and letting it idle is just wasteful-initial poor efficiency, and the biggest parts, the transmission and differentials won't be fully warmed until you move it.
Appreciate 0