03-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Scratch on roof - polish?

I have a few nasty scratches on my roof - from a ski rack that came off during acceleration. Don’t ask ...

I was wondering if it’s a good idea to have at it with regular paint polish or if that may make things worse, given that it’s not regular paint what’s on that roof.

Any experience in the forum?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Scratched or exposed carbon fiber tends to readily absorb and collect moisture. I would consider sealing the scratches with clear coat before exposing them to inclement weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Scratched or exposed carbon fiber tends to readily absorb and collect moisture. I would consider sealing the scratches with clear coat before exposing them to inclement weather.
Thanks for the warning. I don’t think the scratches are that deep. They do not look like they’ve reached the woven structure.

I know what BMW uses in the i8 is some sort of a carbon fibre / polymer blend. It almost seems like there’s a fairly thick layer of resin on top of the woven bits.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Thanks for the warning. I don’t think the scratches are that deep. They do not look like they’ve reached the woven structure.

I know what BMW uses in the i8 is some sort of a carbon fibre / polymer blend. It almost seems like there’s a fairly thick layer of resin on top of the woven bits.
I looked into this before I did the first detailing on my car. Consensus was the top coat on the carbon fiber roof is a clear coat, and can be polished with the same polish used on the painted surfaces. So I used my regular polish on the roof and it turned out well. The roof had some smudges, the polish got rid of those.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Ooh nasty, was it a seasucker failure or a user failure? Can't help you with remedial I'm afraid, but you should be able to ask any reputable bodyshop, its just a clear finish on carbon fibre
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Another thing - those light scratches on the roof in your pic (not the big scratches) - my car has the same and they don't go away after polishing. They can only be seen in certain light so I left them alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 06:25 AM   #7
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Just go and see a detailer. If not gone through clear coat, he'll get it back to how it was before.

If through clear coat, you'll need a bodyshop.

Do not attempt anything yourself!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
Just go and see a detailer. If not gone through clear coat, he'll get it back to how it was before.

If through clear coat, you'll need a bodyshop.

Do not attempt anything yourself!
Probably the best route to take ...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Ooh nasty, was it a seasucker failure or a user failure? Can't help you with remedial I'm afraid, but you should be able to ask any reputable bodyshop, its just a clear finish on carbon fibre
Both, I think. It was a Seasucker failure, because after the fact, when I tested the suction cups, one wouldn’t hold any pressure anymore. But it was my fault for two reasons: (i) I didn’t check the suction before the trip, and (ii) I have a suspicion that because of the type of finish on the i8’s roof, suction cups don’t work there very well.

I used to carry my cross-country skis with the Seasucker rack mounted to the rear decklid window. That always worked like a charm. This time, I was carrying two pairs of Alpine skis. I was worried that their much bigger surface area, mounted at an angle, would create too much lift for the rear glass. So I thought I’d go with a horizontal mount on the roof. Didn’t work out so well...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Update: The paint guy at the dealer said “ouch” when he saw the scratches. Then he took the car and disappeared for 15 mins. Managed to buff it out 95%. He said he didn’t want to go any further so as to stay within the clearcoat and not get down to the carbon. You don’t see it unless you know what you’re looking for. Thankfully, the roof has that not-quite-glossy, slightly scratchy look to it, anyway. *phew*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:45 AM   #11
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Update: The paint guy at the dealer said “ouch” when he saw the scratches. Then he took the car and disappeared for 15 mins. Managed to buff it out 95%. He said he didn’t want to go any further so as to stay within the clearcoat and not get down to the carbon. You don’t see it unless you know what you’re looking for. Thankfully, the roof has that not-quite-glossy, slightly scratchy look to it, anyway. *phew*
Once again, a good detailer (not a bodyshop) should be able to bring it back better than new.
Appreciate 0