Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Surfchicken
Rep
Drives: I8

2nd service wear and tear items

Just dropped my i8 in its 2nd service (40k miles) and been informed that they recommend alternator belt change on each 2nd service at a cost approx £400 - it covered in service pack or warranty - anyone else seen this ?

Also had the regenerative brake failure and petrol engine failure error messages - which they are looking at - switch off and switch back on seemed to clear them
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Sounds like they’re ripping you off even if you actually do need the belt changed. Remember that this is a Mini Cooper engine so changing a belt shouldn’t be costing 400 lbs. A reputable private shop could probably do it for $150
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
FrequentFlyer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & X3

It doesn’t sound right. As the service pack is only 3 yrs/36k miles I expect you are not covered.

The USA service schedule is attached and makes no mention of belt change. Mine went in for the oil change at 2 years from build date and according to my dealer also needed a spark plug change according to the CBS key read, despite only having covered 3k miles! This was included in the service pack but struck me as a little odd. I haven’t seen the equivalent Service Schedule published for the UK market but don’t see why it should be different.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2014 i8 SW.PDF (4.81 MB, 1068 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
It doesn't sound right. As the service pack is only 3 yrs/36k miles I expect you are not covered.

The USA service schedule is attached and makes no mention of belt change. Mine went in for the oil change at 2 years from build date and according to my dealer also needed a spark plug change according to the CBS key read, despite only having covered 3k miles! This was included in the service pack but struck me as a little odd. I haven't seen the equivalent Service Schedule published for the UK market but don't see why it should be different.
Same scenario happened with mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
Surfchicken
Rep

Thanks for feedback - still with BMW so will be pushing them on this - apparently a 3.5 hour job to replace belt.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
FrequentFlyer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & X3

Not surprised as the access would be difficult and a whole lot of other stuff would need to be removed/refitted Still it is not on the USA Service Schedule so surprised that it is a UK item.

Comparison with other B38 engines such as on the Mini isn’t really relevant as you have the extra load due to the energy recuperation/torque fill.

A call to BMW UK customer services may get you an answer about when the belt needs to be replaced according to service schedule.

Last edited by FrequentFlyer; 04-13-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Surfchicken
Rep

It is a recommend item rather than required item - considered consumable item rather than warranty item. Fortunately ! as I have the engine alerts coming through - they need to get to wiring anyway - so hopefully will be significantly less - at least for next 40k miles
Appreciate 0