BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

2018 i8 Pure Impulse Event, Munich

Had to share an email I sent to the PI team based on an i8 FB post I saw yesterday. The pictures below were also attached to the email.

JasH and Clarkson, I'm hoping to see you guys in Munich in July. Cheerio (is it spelled the same as the cereal?)
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf email - i8 Pure Impulse Event, Munich 2018.pdf (81.4 KB, 105 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Fingers crossed for you Funny email

Sad thing is my PI membership is due to expire shortly, as my i8 will be 3 years old in April. No more PI events for me soon
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Fingers crossed for you Funny email

Sad thing is my PI membership is due to expire shortly, as my i8 will be 3 years old in April. No more PI events for me soon
Oh, JasH, you have to go to Munich in July. I can't imagine it being any fun without you and Clarkson there to banter with . Perhaps you can get special dispensation from BMW, kind of like a presidential pardon. Who knows, if your PI term doesn't finish before the April sign-up (starts April 4), maybe they'll let you participate anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 04:22 AM   #4
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

drlonline - lets hope they invite you to Munich... historically the PI card has been issued 6-8 weeks after you have taken delivery of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Oh, JasH, you have to go to Munich in July. I can't imagine it being any fun without you and Clarkson there to banter with . Perhaps you can get special dispensation from BMW, kind of like a presidential pardon. Who knows, if your PI term doesn't finish before the April sign-up (starts April 4), maybe they'll let you participate anyway.
I got in

So, will see you there

Clarkson didn't though..... so Munich will actually be enjoyable this time

Just kidding of course
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got in

So, will see you there

Clarkson didn't though..... so Munich will actually be enjoyable this time

Just kidding of course
Fantastic. We'll have to coordinate visits. I fly into Munich on July 4 (arrive afternoon) and depart July 8. Getting a loaner car since my i8 won't fit in carry on. Can't wait to meet you guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #7
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Fantastic. We'll have to coordinate visits. I fly into Munich on July 4 (arrive afternoon) and depart July 8. Getting a loaner car since my i8 won't fit in carry on. Can't wait to meet you guys.
I'll be there too. Look forward to meeting up!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:02 AM   #8
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
I'll be there too. Look forward to meeting up!
BTW, in case you haven't heard, the PI program is holding its annual Leipzig event 13 - 15 September. Registration opens on May 14. I don't think it is even listed yet on the PI event web site yet, but Marc Graumann who organizes the PI events let me know about it, and I'm planning to go to that as well as Munich. Marc explained how the factory tour associated with the PI event is a much better tour than the one that the public can book through BMW.

I know you guys have already done Leipzig at least once, and maybe more, but if you go again, we'll have to connect there as well. This year's event is a couple weeks before the start of Octoberfest, but as I've been to the beer festival a number of times in the past, I'll probably just do another short trip again just for the PI activities.

Cheers, Doug
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

See you guys there

I suspect we will get a private viewing of the new iX3 in Munich.

Yes that's correct about Leipzig. On the PI tour we get to go onto the i8 production line at ground level. There is also a lot more detail.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I just got the Turin, Italy event as well. So I will be there too if anyone is going.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh, JasH, you have to go to Munich in July. I can't imagine it being any fun without you and Clarkson there to banter with .

Looks like all your Christmases have arrived at once. Clarkson just got a spot from the wait list, and will be there

I guess I will cancel then
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like all your Christmases have arrived at once. Clarkson just got a spot from the wait list, and will be there

I guess I will cancel then
Does this mean I will have to use the "Richard Hammond" or "James May" handle? Hammond might be good, as I am a bit on the short side and have been told I can be a bit snarky at times. BTW, I hope the Munich breweries stock up on the good stuff before we all arrive.

On a more serious note, I'd appreciate it if you'd pass along by PM any suggestions about what to pack and what to make sure I see in Munich. For example, what are the expectations for the different events with regard to dress code. In terms of the special reveal, I'm hoping it will be the new 8-series and M8. In making my reservation for the PI event, knowing I wouldn't be bringing my i8, I offered that I would be willing to lower my standards and drive the 8'er if they didn't have anything better. And if the production car weren't available, I'd even be willing to take the Barcelona Blue concept 8'er. Still waiting to hear back on that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:25 AM   #13
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BTW, I hope the Munich breweries stock up on the good stuff before we all arrive.
The beer garden right next to the hotel has a plentiful supply
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't really suggest what to see in Munich, as I arrived with just a couple of minutes to spare last year, and left early in the morning after breakfast. Simply because of the long drive each way

This year I hope to sight-see.

If anyone else is flying Lufthansa from Heathrow, let me know and maybe we are on the same flights

I recall dress code last year was black tie. Because of the very fancy Roadster reveal event. I've no space for that this year anyway, as I will be travelling very light, with only carry on luggage.

Yes, you can indeed be Hammond, if you volunteer to do the write-up Although this will be a tame event by comparison, as Clarkson will be with his new fiancée, and I am taking my little daughter with me. And we are all flying, so no race.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't really suggest what to see in Munich, as I arrived with just a couple of minutes to spare last year, and left early in the morning after breakfast. Simply because of the long drive each way

This year I hope to sight-see.

If anyone else is flying Lufthansa from Heathrow, let me know and maybe we are on the same flights

I recall dress code last year was black tie. Because of the very fancy Roadster reveal event. I've no space for that this year anyway, as I will be travelling very light, with only carry on luggage.

Yes, you can indeed be Hammond, if you volunteer to do the write-up Although this will be a tame event by comparison, as Clarkson will be with his new fiancée, and I am taking my little daughter with me. And we are all flying, so no race.
No problem me doing the write-up if you will do the translating from American English to proper English (I can handle translation into French and Farci, shukran). By any chance is Clarkson's fiancee the person (man/women/whatever) that was in the photo you shared earlier from last year's event?
Appreciate 0