BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

i8 Ordering Status

Thought it time to start a new thread focusing on confirmed orders for the i8. Not just cases where a deposit has been placed, but rather where confirmed orders have been placed, with options selected and production slots allocated. I've now seen a few cases from the UK where orders have been placed, but with deliveries not expected until end of the year. Here in the States, we've heard that deliveries are expected anywhere from late June to September, but I've yet to hear of any confirmed orders. And in terms of firm pricing info, the only place I've seen that lately has been Germany, where a pricing guide has been published. Earlier, there was one for the UK as well, but that seems to have been pulled from the web.

Hopefully by sharing info, we can begin to understand what has been a very confusing process.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

My contract details (inc. spec ordered) attached.
Est. build (spec freeze) is Nov-14, and est. delivery is mid-Jan-15 (as per attached contract).
N.B. Prices are in £ Sterling. Personal details etc. omitted for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps,
T
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
My contract details (inc. spec ordered) attached.
Est. build (spec freeze) is Nov-14, and est. delivery is mid-Jan-15 (as per attached contract).
N.B. Prices are in £ Sterling. Personal details etc. omitted for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps,
T
Tilum, thanks for sharing. This is the first time I've actually seen an order sheet spelling out the selected options. I guess BMW really is going to start selling the i8.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
Quilucru
Rep
Drives: i8

A friend and myself have ordered two i8 in April in Switzerland. Est. delivery is October 2014 for the both of us. Our dealer said that BMW will serve in priority clients that have ordered the Pure Impulse option pack.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilucru View Post
A friend and myself have ordered two i8 in April in Switzerland. Est. delivery is October 2014 for the both of us. Our dealer said that BMW will serve in priority clients that have ordered the Pure Impulse option pack.
That's true. PI customers like me get earlier delivery. Pure Impulse is easy, everything in one package. I ordered also 625 wheels and Protonic Blue.

Last edited by Pitkis; 06-12-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

Hi, I placed a deposit in Nov/Dec 2013 and committed the order to the system in March this year, the day after the system opened in the UK. I have been given an est delivery date of 31/12/2014. Will upload a copy of the order later when I get back home. I speced white and blue paint, w wheels, carpo dark leather, surround view etc pack, blue seatbelts and upgraded speakers. I will get in contact with Brian Cox at BMW UK and see if the PI are being prioritised in the UK. If so, may be a reason to add it, depending on the reduction in delay. I was told that limited deliveries would begin in July, I assume these are high profile orders or something...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

As per @Peggsy's post, in the UK at least, customers that have spec'd the Pure Impulse design package don't seem to being given priority (their build date depends on the date ordered or deposit placed). Having said that, it seems as though quite a few of the UK orders placed so far have been spec'd with the Pure Impulse design pack. But having looked at what it includes, it doesn't appear to me to justify the price of the option (at UK prices anyway)...

The following items in the 'Pure Impulse design package' (which costs £12,000, order code: 7XV) are available to order separately:-
  • 2W8 20" BMW i W-spoke style 470 alloy wheels (or 2HP i Turbine-spoke 625 style alloys wheels as a NCO) - UK cost: £1150 (or £1380)
  • 4FG Seat belts in i Blue - UK cost: £310
  • 4AA Headlining in Anthracite - UK cost: £295
  • 5AS Driving Assistant with Surround-View, Speed limit display, & High-Beam Assistant - UK cost: £1490
  • 674 Harman/Kardon sound system - UK cost: £695
  • N.B. Carpo (Dark or Light) or Halo interiors available as a NCO in lieu of 'i Spheric' full leather upholstery finished in 'Carum Grey' interior - UK cost: £1150 (Carpo Dark/Light) or £2150 (Halo)
Total Cost (of options available to order separately): £5090 - £6320 (depending on options chosen).

Other aspects which are exclusive to the 'Pure Impulse design package' consist of the following :-
  • Anthracite velour floor mats with black leather piping & i Blue accent stitching
  • Brake callipers in high-gloss Black with "BMW i" designation
  • Door sill finishers in Amido Black with "i8" designation
  • Engine cover in Matt Black leather
  • Gear lever with 'Deep Black ceramic' finish
  • Headrests with embossed "i8" designation
  • 'BMW i Pure Impulse card' ("A personal passport to a world of inspiration and privilege: the BMW i Pure Impulse Experience Programme")
...So basically an extra £5.5k-£7k for some letter designations, contrast piping on the floor mats, a leather engine cover, different design/finish on the sill plates and gear lever, and a plastic card!

If the package were to include other cost options FOC such as laser lights, Display Key and CFRP wheels (both of which are availability is TBC!), and build priority, then I feel the additional premium for the package would be more justified. Yes I agree it is simpler to 'just add the one package' than to spec the options individually, but IMHO the package (as it currently stands) does not justify the additional cost.

Last edited by Tilum; 05-05-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Not to mention that you may be able to order, for example, the door sills as spare parts from the dealership. No official word on this and I doubt they would advertise it if it is indeed possible, but something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

That's exactly what I said to my i dealer when I saw the i8 at BMW UK's HQ lol.
At the end of the day, things like the sills and leather engine cover will have to be made available as spare parts, in which case they should be available to order from the Parts dept. (when they become available to order in the future).

Last edited by Tilum; 05-05-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've now heard this from a couple sources, but it appears the first deliveries to the U.S. will be at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, which is scheduled for August 17. Can't think of a better place to receive one, but somehow I imagine the recipients of those cars will be very special customers of BMW. Looking like September deliveries are more likely now for the U.S. market. Even with that timing, one would think orders would need to be placed in June to get built and arrive here in September. I wish we had someone from BMWUSA contributing to this blog that could provide more info on the timing of U.S. ordering.

See the story in this link from BMWblog: http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/05/14/fi...rse-delegance/
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

My bmwi dealer has just been in contact to let me know that my car has been given a build and delivery date in the system (different to the provisional one on the order). Build in mid November (w46) and delivery in early December (w49).

On another note, are any of you going to the preview at Wentworth next week?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I've now heard this from a couple sources, but it appears the first deliveries to the U.S. will be at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, which is scheduled for August 17. Can't think of a better place to receive one, but somehow I imagine the recipients of those cars will be very special customers of BMW. Looking like September deliveries are more likely now for the U.S. market. Even with that timing, one would think orders would need to be placed in June to get built and arrive here in September. I wish we had someone from BMWUSA contributing to this blog that could provide more info on the timing of U.S. ordering.

See the story in this link from BMWblog: http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/05/14/fi...rse-delegance/
Hopefully that means they can stop being cagey about order slots and deliveries now that the cat is out of the bag. I appreciate the "selling you the future/new experience" angle but, honestly, I just want to drive down to the dealership, write a check, and drive off. I have the sneaking suspicion it's going to be more like an Apple launch day where people are clapping for you as you walk out. I guess I'm "weird" in that I buy cars for myself rather than any desire to impress or show off to other people, so a "delivery event" seems a little pretentious/ostentatious for me. But as long as the theatrics end with me buying a car, I guess I'm game.

Last edited by Carac; 05-14-2014 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Just sell me a car

I'm with you Carac. Just let me see, sit in and test the car. Then take my money and let me go off to do my private thing. I don't need or want the flash or dog & pony show. I hope BMW retains their own and our dignity.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

The first deliveries will be the only ones of this kind. The rest will be like any other delivery at your dealer. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #15
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I decided to write to BMWUSA to see if I could find out any more about the start of ordering. I didn't expect much more than a polite "there is no information available" type response, but did get the following back.

"...The official release for the BMW i8 has not been announced. BMW of North America LLC. is planning on a Fall release. Once orders are accepted in Germany, your Sales Representative at your BMW Center will provide you with a production number to track the production status. "

Of course, I'm not sure if Fall release means orders won't be taken until Fall or if deliveries will commence in Fall, but I was pleased to see the US will be next in line after Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I decided to write to BMWUSA to see if I could find out any more about the start of ordering. I didn't expect much more than a polite "there is no information available" type response, but did get the following back.

"...The official release for the BMW i8 has not been announced. BMW of North America LLC. is planning on a Fall release. Once orders are accepted in Germany, your Sales Representative at your BMW Center will provide you with a production number to track the production status. "

Of course, I'm not sure if Fall release means orders won't be taken until Fall or if deliveries will commence in Fall, but I was pleased to see the US will be next in line after Germany.
Encouraging to get a reply. With deliveries to BMW employees taking place I'm putting more weight behind the "Fall" claim that I did with the "Spring" ETA they gave at Frankfurt in Sept 2013, and the "Summer" announcement at the NAIAS in January, and the "July" date that was on their website in February. I just remind myself that people with NSX deposits have it worse when it comes to the delay/waiting game. Like I've said before, I don't mind waiting. I've spent over six months waiting for a car AFTER getting a build slot, but the car came exactly when they said it would. Basically what I mind are constant delays with very little communication. If you aren't 100% sure, don't say anything.

I guess AMG has spoiled me with regards to PR, straight forward answers, and direct access. For instance, I could private message or directly email the US Product Manager for AMG. Anyone with an AMG can...and he gets back to you quick. Spoke to him face to face at an AMG event about the upcoming AMG GT. But finding out anything concrete about the US i8 launch has been next to impossible.

If my posts no this forum aren't obvious enough, I'm REALLY looking forward to the i8 and will probably end up being a BMW "i" evangelist to anyone that asks...but they aren't making it easy.

I'm still confused on why there isn't an official statement on features/options at least. The only reasonable reason I can think of is that the "no options, no packages, everything standard" philosophy for the US isn't set in stone...and it should be by now. It's a GREAT car but telling me your $136k 3-cylinder plug-in hybrid flagship doesn't include things like surround cameras, adaptive cruise, adaptive LEDS, heads-up display, etc. would not only seem contradictory to the "Welcome to the Future" campaign but also a black-eye to its product image of being their most advanced car ever. Maybe someone just forgot they hadn't got that info out officially but that's a stretch.

I'm venting, screaming to the heavens (BMWUSA PR) for a sign (order guide) and getting nothing. Thanks for putting up with my rants.

Last edited by Carac; 05-15-2014 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Carac, I feel your frustration. I have no doubt it will be worth the wait once we get our cars, but the waiting coupled with the lack of solid information does get annoying. I'm going to Bimmerfest this weekend here in Southern California, and will try to wrench any information I can from BMW reps (also hope to also see the i8 in person again). If I find anything out, I'll be sure to post it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Went to Bimmerfest 2014 today and had a great time amongst BMW enthusiasts. Quite a show. Of course, the highlight for me was to visit the BMW North America booth where they had an i8 on display. It was a great opportunity to get several questions answered with the assistance of a very nice rep from BMWNA. For example, how difficult is it to get into the car if one is in a tight parking spot and it's not possible to fully open the door? answer: not as difficult as I imagined. I was also interested to see just how difficult it is to get in the back seats for my kids: answer: not too bad. I was able to confirm that the limited storage areas in the console do provide a space for an IPhone docking cradle, a must have in my opinion.

Then I got to some tougher questions: will the US cars come fully loaded? answer: yes, only options being choice of interiors and choice between two wheels. Will there be a display key in US cars: answer: hum, I can only say that it is strongly rumored and that if such a key were available, it would likely have wireless access to the car. When will orders start being taken for US cars: answer: deliveries should start in September, and it usually takes around 10 weeks from time of order until the cars arrive in California, so you can do the math.

I'm sure there are other questions I'll think of that I wished I had asked, but all in all it was very informative. Oh, and last but not least, the car is gorgeous, but those on this thread already knew that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bimmerfest

DANG! I wish I'd known that an i8 would be up there today :-( Anyway, thanks for the info. Did you get any pictures you can share? What color was the car you saw?
I'm still #5 on my large dealer's list and just recently asked them again if that will mean a car in 2014. No new response back yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #20
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Went to Bimmerfest 2014 today and had a great time amongst BMW enthusiasts. Quite a show. Of course, the highlight for me was to visit the BMW North America booth where they had an i8 on display. It was a great opportunity to get several questions answered with the assistance of a very nice rep from BMWNA. For example, how difficult is it to get into the car if one is in a tight parking spot and it's not possible to fully open the door? answer: not as difficult as I imagined. I was also interested to see just how difficult it is to get in the back seats for my kids: answer: not too bad. I was able to confirm that the limited storage areas in the console do provide a space for an IPhone docking cradle, a must have in my opinion.

Then I got to some tougher questions: will the US cars come fully loaded? answer: yes, only options being choice of interiors and choice between two wheels. Will there be a display key in US cars: answer: hum, I can only say that it is strongly rumored and that if such a key were available, it would likely have wireless access to the car. When will orders start being taken for US cars: answer: deliveries should start in September, and it usually takes around 10 weeks from time of order until the cars arrive in California, so you can do the math.

I'm sure there are other questions I'll think of that I wished I had asked, but all in all it was very informative. Oh, and last but not least, the car is gorgeous, but those on this thread already knew that.
Good info. With deliveries in September I would expect them to end up as 2015 models, but we'll see. Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
DANG! I wish I'd known that an i8 would be up there today :-( Anyway, thanks for the info. Did you get any pictures you can share? What color was the car you saw?
I'm still #5 on my large dealer's list and just recently asked them again if that will mean a car in 2014. No new response back yet.
I didn't take any pictures, as the car was surrounded by people wanting a look, and I figured my photos wouldn't be as good as others that have been published. The car's color was Sophisto Grey with highlight frozen grey and the wheels were the W spoke 470 style. I'm planning on getting the Crystal White pearl with frozen grey and the turbine 625 wheels, but the sophisto grey certainly looked great.

I'm not a big fan of the W spoke wheels, but think I did figure something out about the wheels and tires. I had previously heard that there would only be two wheels offered in the U.S., the one omitted being the turbine 444 style. These wheels are indicated as standard on the Germany price list, meaning they come with the smaller tires. I've recently read that the US cars will come with the larger tires standard, so that might explain why the turbine 444 wheels are not available. Didn't think to confirm this with the BMWNA rep, but it would seem to make sense. Given the choice of the W spoke or the turbine 625 wheels, I plan to go with the latter.

One other thing I forgot to mention about the initial deliveries. The rep did indicate that the first car (only 1) will be delivered to its customer at Pebble Beach. He went on to say that the first wave of cars after that are usually held at the arrival port, awaiting the ceremonial first car delivery. They are then shipped by truck to the dealers at roughly the same time, which would seem to tie to the September delivery schedule.

Now more excited than ever, and counting the days till I can order the car and get a confirmed production slot. I'm first on my dealer's deposit list, so am expecting to place the order within the next month and a half or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for additional updates

Thanks for the further updates. I really like the turbine wheels, but don't want skinny tires. That may mean I go with the "W" wheels. While I've switched color preference a hundred times, I am currently thinking blue. For me, I simply think it's the most vibrant color for this unique car.
My SoCal dealer informed me today that they expect 3-4 cars in the 4Q14 and 3-4 more in the 1Q15, as initial allocations. No new news re when they will have the U.S. order guide available, but once they do, those of us near the top of their list can place hard orders and leave deposits.
The anticipation grows!
Appreciate 0