BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
BrazilianCojones
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 gray

Charge Station BOSCH EL-51254 ?

Hello there everyone,

This is my first post, happy to see that the community is already so big. Here's my question:

I am moving to Portugal and buying a BMW i8 there. My problem is to find a matching charging station for my private garage. BMW has recommended to buy the original wall box "pure" or "pro." However, I found that the BOSCH EL-51254 charging station is way cheaper, though it is only available on the American market, not on the European. I am wondering whether it will be compatible with an i8 bought in Portugal. Does anyone have information or experiences with compatibility of american charging stations with the european i8?

Appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
The plug on then end of the charging cable will be a J1772 for the North American market and will not mate with the Mennekes connector on your European i8. It only has North American safety and RFI emissions certifications so it is probably not legal to use it in Europe. The Residual Current Detection circuit is programmed North American requirements which are different from the European requirements.
      11-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianCojones
Hello there everyone,

This is my first post, happy to see that the community is already so big. Here's my question:

I am moving to Portugal and buying a BMW i8 there. My problem is to find a matching charging station for my private garage. BMW has recommended to buy the original wall box "pure" or "pro." However, I found that the BOSCH EL-51254 charging station is way cheaper, though it is only available on the American market, not on the European. I am wondering whether it will be compatible with an i8 bought in Portugal. Does anyone have information or experiences with compatibility of american charging stations with the european i8?

Appreciate your help!
You don't need a charging station. In sport mode the car will recharge itself after 20 min of driving to app 85%. I am so glad u did not buy a charging station - would have rarely used it. Plus, the car comes with a household plug in module you could use overnight, but you don't even need that!! Trust me.

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Yes, I have heard that from others too, charge overnight is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Big Fred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i and i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
You don't need a charging station. In sport mode the car will recharge itself after 20 min of driving to app 85%. I am so glad u did not buy a charging station - would have rarely used it. Plus, the car comes with a household plug in module you could use overnight, but you don't even need that!! Trust me.
Do you still stand by this opinion? It took me totally off guard but rung true. So glad I haven't bought one -- or done any special wiring to my garage. I'm still waiting on my i8. Should be here in early April.
Appreciate 0