BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Lofty Take on the BMW i8

Hello fellow BMW lovers,

My name is Aatish and I am a college student, entrepreneur, and self made automotive journalist. No, I'm not like that Valet review guy...I actually ask for permission before reviewing cars.

Anyways, a few months back I wrote a review for the M3 and shared it with the dudes on the M3/M4 forums. They liked it a lot, and to this day people still read it. It was because of that review that I decided to continue automotive journalism.

Recently, I had the chance to get extensive hands on time with a BMW i8 (thanks to my friends at Bentley of Gold Coast). I wrote up a review for it, and thought I would share it with you guys. So here you go:

http://www.ohsolofty.com/new-blog/20...r-just-a-tease

I welcome all comments, both good and bad. They help me know what I'm doing right, wrong, and ultimately lead to me becoming a better writer.

Hope you guys enjoy!

-Aatish

Last edited by Aatish; 01-27-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Pretty hard to review a sports car on public streets in the snow. So I think that's a weakness of the review. My 17 year old daughter enjoys driving the i8 on the mountain roads and likens it to the Z4.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Pretty hard to review a sports car on public streets in the snow. So I think that's a weakness of the review. My 17 year old daughter enjoys driving the i8 on the mountain roads and likens it to the Z4.
Roads were actually clean that day. I'll add that to the review...

As far as the sports car thing, your opinion holds good to you. My opinion holds good to me.

Thanks for the comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
jordan.egan44
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, BMW i3 REX, BMW Z8

First of all, I want to say I really like the layout and look of the website and how you have the articles laid out!

Second of all, I found this interview pretty entertaining - well done! Despite the end, one seeming, in my humblest of opinions to miss the i8's point, it's good to see your opinion and perspective on the car.

For me, I really like the car. I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who said something along the lines of "0-60 in under 5 seconds and 134 mpg [euro cycle] - even if it does a third or half of that, it's still incredible!" It was about an extrapolation of technology, from what I understand, a blueprint for the future of BMW.

It's easy to attack the halo car viewpoint, I agree. However, if you think when Audi released the R8, their halo car, it had a slower 0-60 time than the i8! So I don't think that's the issue.

I can say, however, these are simply my observations - likely not shared, but mine nonetheless. I applaud you going out and doing this, takes some will and that's brilliant.

I guess in an article where you don't explicitly say the i8 is the best car in the world, and then post it to an i8 owner's forum, the audience may not share your views! However, you have to say what you like and don't so well done!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.egan44 View Post
First of all, I want to say I really like the layout and look of the website and how you have the articles laid out!

Second of all, I found this interview pretty entertaining - well done! Despite the end, one seeming, in my humblest of opinions to miss the i8's point, it's good to see your opinion and perspective on the car.

For me, I really like the car. I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who said something along the lines of "0-60 in under 5 seconds and 134 mpg [euro cycle] - even if it does a third or half of that, it's still incredible!" It was about an extrapolation of technology, from what I understand, a blueprint for the future of BMW.

It's easy to attack the halo car viewpoint, I agree. However, if you think when Audi released the R8, their halo car, it had a slower 0-60 time than the i8! So I don't think that's the issue.

I can say, however, these are simply my observations - likely not shared, but mine nonetheless. I applaud you going out and doing this, takes some will and that's brilliant.

I guess in an article where you don't explicitly say the i8 is the best car in the world, and then post it to an i8 owner's forum, the audience may not share your views! However, you have to say what you like and don't so well done!
Thank you for the kind words Jordan. I appreciate it. I'm glad that there are people like you in the world.

I'm expecting a little turbulence from doing this, because as you stated I didn't say the i8 is the best. But that's what reviews are about. They provide different perspectives, which can be helpful to consumers.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #6
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I have compared the i8 to the tesla, 911, vantage, M3/4, gallardo and can tell you that there is no comparison since the driving dynamics are so different. Would love to try the huracan next. You either buy into its concept and capabilities or just dismiss it......there seems to be no middle ground. For me, it is also taking some time to get used to the driving dynamics and I am still amazed how it pulls from 0 mph to 100 mph, e.g. an on ramp after a toll station. I do agree that the interior is a bit boring though, especially if you have multiple BMWs already. The exterior is phenomenal and incorporates traditional bmw elements, well written.

You have one view and that's all good. BTW, there is a whole bunch of us here in Chicago with Ms and a growing i8 population and we'll see how this car will do at autobahn later this year.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #7
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I have compared the i8 to the tesla, 911, vantage, M3/4, gallardo and can tell you that there is no comparison since the driving dynamics are so different. Would love to try the huracan next. You either buy into its concept and capabilities or just dismiss it......there seems to be no middle ground. For me, it is also taking some time to get used to the driving dynamics and I am still amazed how it pulls from 0 mph to 100 mph, e.g. an on ramp after a toll station. I do agree that the interior is a bit boring though, especially if you have multiple BMWs already. The exterior is phenomenal and incorporates traditional bmw elements, well written.

You have one view and that's all good. BTW, there is a whole bunch of us here in Chicago with Ms and a growing i8 population and we'll see how this car will do at autobahn later this year.

Thanks for the comment!

The power delivery in this car is truly amazing, and I wish I could've taken the ca out on 355. But Lakeshore drive ain't too bad.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you guys in person over the summer!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
MalibuBimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Roads were actually clean that day. I'll add that to the review...

As far as the sports car thing, your opinion holds good to you. My opinion holds good to me.

Thanks for the comment.
Driving a sports car on urban streets is not a good measure of the car. So I'll stick to my opinion, having actually driven the car on fast, twisty mountain roads. As the gods of Bavaria intended.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Driving a sports car on urban streets is not a good measure of the car. So I'll stick to my opinion, having actually driven the car on fast, twisty mountain roads. As the gods of Bavaria intended.
While that is true statement, not everyone is blessed with winding mountain roads. So I'll stick with my opinion too
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
On the whole, there's some good stuff there. But you appear to have the same problem that almost everyone else with a negative review has written. There's a cognitive dissonance between the expectation you brought to the review and what the car is. Kind of like going to a movie, thinking it's about one thing and finding out it's another. That doesn't necessarily mean the movie is bad, in fact the movie might be great. But your expectations, on some level, will prevent you from seeing the movie for what it is; because your mind is caught up on what it isn't.

Quote:
The i8 was marketed as a sports car, but I really can’t say it is. Yes it looks like one, and sounds like one, but performance is still lacking. Think of it like a 335i and an M3. Both are based off the 3-series platform and both are plenty powerful cars. But the M3 is a true sports saloon, while the 335i is just the top tier model. That’s how I feel about the i8, it’s the top tier model of BMW i.
Correct, but you're assessment assumes they intended to make a ///M level car and simply fell short of that goal, which wasn't their intent (in fact, i and M are fairly adversarial and territorial within the company). The i8 was meant to blend eco and sport in balance, not skew toward either end, which it does perfectly. Which some say is to it's detriment, but it's why I bought the car. I have and have owned some big, dumb, fast sports cars and was looking for something different with the i8; which I got in spades.

From a content/writing perspective I would leave the line about numbers and girls out of there. Auto reviews can be funny but self-deprecating reflection instead of narcissistic bravado tends to land better. That line made me cringe a little and makes the reader take you less seriously.

My only other suggestion would be that it could be longer.

Wish you all the best with your writing.

Last edited by Carac; 01-28-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
On the whole, there's some good stuff there. But you appear to have the same problem that almost everyone else with a negative review has written. There's a cognitive dissonance between the expectation you brought to the review and what the car is. Kind of like going to a movie, thinking it's about one thing and finding out it's another. That doesn't necessarily mean the movie is bad, in fact the movie might be great. But your expectations, on some level, will prevent you from seeing the movie for what it is; because your mind is caught up on what it isn't.

Correct, but you're assessment assumes they intended to make a ///M level car and simply fell short of that goal, which wasn't their intent (in fact, i and M are fairly adversarial and territorial within the company). The i8 was meant to blend eco and sport in balance, not skew toward either end, which it does perfectly. Which some say is to it's detriment, but it's why I bought the car. I have and have owned some big, dumb, fast sports cars and was looking for something different with the i8; which I got in spades.

From a content/writing perspective I would leave the line about numbers and girls out of there. Auto reviews can be funny but self-deprecating reflection instead of narcissistic bravado tends to land better. That line made me cringe a little and makes the reader take you less seriously.

My only other suggestion would be that it could be longer.

Wish you all the best with your writing.
Appreciate your words Carac!

I'll definitely be considering those points in my next review.

-Aatish
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
coincident
Rep
Drives: Porsche Turbo S Cab

This review is hardly anything resembling a professional evaluation from an experienced, knowledgable automotive reviewer. Very superficial without details about how the car performs in a variety of driving settings .i,e, an urban environment, track, highway, open, challenging roads etc. No details about acceleration characteristics, grip and handling abilities. Does it under or oversteer in high speed, spirited driving ? None of this is evaluated. The review reads like a a consumer who offers an opinion based on how he likes or dislikes the car. This is a typical online "review" by an amateur who wishes to fancy himself as a professional in the field.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coincident View Post
This review is hardly anything resembling a professional evaluation from an experienced, knowledgable automotive reviewer. Very superficial without details about how the car performs in a variety of driving settings .i,e, an urban environment, track, highway, open, challenging roads etc. No details about acceleration characteristics, grip and handling abilities. Does it under or oversteer in high speed, spirited driving ? None of this is evaluated. The review reads like a a consumer who offers an opinion based on how he likes or dislikes the car. This is a typical online "review" by an amateur who wishes to fancy himself as a professional in the field.
Never said I was a pro, nor do I intend on being one.

That being said, I'll be more complete on the next one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
coincident
Rep

A review to fulfill its intended purpose which is to edify the reader as to all the features, technology and performance of the vehicle under test must not only be complete and thorough, it is encumbant that the reviewer possesses the requisite expertise and experience in the field. To post personal comments by someone who simply likes cars or aspires to be a motoring journalist without the required credentials to do so, is not only essentially irrelevant, the review can actually be misleading since it presents opinions that are based on inexperience or ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coincident View Post
A review to fulfill its intended purpose which is to edify the reader as to all the features, technology and performance of the vehicle under test must not only be complete and thorough, it is encumbant that the reviewer possesses the requisite expertise and experience in the field. To post personal comments by someone who simply likes cars or aspires to be a motoring journalist without the required credentials to do so, is not only essentially irrelevant, the review can actually be misleading since it presents opinions that are based on inexperience or ignorance.

Look, what you have stated above is true for what we call today a conventional car review. Performance, features, and tech are all important aspects of the review, but if that is all every single review encompasses, than what's the point of having multiple reviews?

Think of reviews as products in a specific market. If all the products are exactly the same, then what's the point? Reviews are products of the motoring journalism industry. Every single reviewer, from the big ones like Harris and Bovingdon, to smaller independents like myself need to differentiate ourselves in some ways to have a fighting chance.

Another thing, a motoring journalist is NOT just born a motoring journalist. He/she doesn't just get cars to review or writes and publishes work like that. Most motoring journalists were at some point just "someone who simply likes cars or aspires to be a motoring journalist". Chances are they probably didn't know how to properly test a car, or have a expansive knowledge of all things motoring at that time; and to some people also right now.

I'm not trying to sound hostile; instead I'm just trying to let my voice be heard. Chances are, I'm not the only guy on this forum who writes reviews in his spare time. Comments like these can be damaging to some people, even though they might have been stated with good intentions.

I write my reviews accordingly to my style. A lot of people seem to like what I am doing, so I'm going to keep doing what I do. If you don't like my work, then don't read it. Like the 3LW song went "Playas gon' play; Haters gonna hate".

Have a nice day.

-Aatish
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
coincident
Rep

Hate is hardly an appropriate word to describe my criticism of Internet reviews by those devoid of requisite expertise.My primary concern is that these laymen write ups may be taken too seriously by readers and be responsible for either contributing to making an ill informed buying decision or have a hidden agenda which involves knocking one to brand in order to promote another.

As all human endeavours which involve pros / cons - negatives and positives, the Internet is open to all opinions. You, as others, are free to express your opinions. My concerns would not involve any restrictions on the free flow of information. My simple advice is because it is read on the net does not in any manner denote credibility.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #17
MalibuBimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Aatish asks for constructive criticism and when he gets it he fights it and fails to acknowledge it.

Typical. Of a child.

Aatish needs to grow up and grow a pair. And not ask for what he doesn't want.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Aatish asks for constructive criticism and when he gets it he fights it and fails to acknowledge it.

Typical. Of a child.

Aatish needs to grow up and grow a pair. And not ask for what he doesn't want.
Let's just end this before I make myself look even more like a child. I'll keep what was said in this thread in mind when writing my next review.

Have a nice day.

-Aatish
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
LowOnCash
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 - I3 - I4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Hello fellow BMW lovers,

My name is Aatish and I am a college student, entrepreneur, and self made automotive journalist. No, I'm not like that Valet review guy...I actually ask for permission before reviewing cars.

Anyways, a few months back I wrote a review for the M3 and shared it with the dudes on the M3/M4 forums. They liked it a lot, and to this day people still read it. It was because of that review that I decided to continue automotive journalism.

Recently, I had the chance to get extensive hands on time with a BMW i8 (thanks to my friends at Bentley of Gold Coast). I wrote up a review for it, and thought I would share it with you guys. So here you go:

http://www.ohsolofty.com/new-blog/20...r-just-a-tease

I welcome all comments, both good and bad. They help me know what I'm doing right, wrong, and ultimately lead to me becoming a better writer.

Hope you guys enjoy!

-Aatish
Nice effort however it's absolutely clear you never tested the car - I question if you even were allowed to drive the car. Looks like the basis of your review and assumptions were are straight from Goggle. Other than having access to the "static" car in Chicago, the review and your findings are fact less. and your comments on the interior - are you sure you weren't looking at I3 by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Nice effort however it's absolutely clear you never tested the car - I question if you even were allowed to drive the car. Looks like the basis of your review and assumptions were are straight from Goggle. Other than having access to the "static" car in Chicago, the review and your findings are fact less. and your comments on the interior - are you sure you weren't looking at I3 by mistake.
I drove the car. Might have not tested it out fully, but I drove it. If anything, this thread has been a learning experience. I'll be more complete on my next review, and actually post about a car that I drove completely.

Last edited by Aatish; 02-22-2015 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
LowOnCash
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 - I3 - I4

No problem thanks for the effort however there are owners here who have owned the car for months and yet not have the credentials to review a car as sophisticated as the I8, we're all still learning!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

It started off well.

Then I read this cringeworthy line, "This car just pulls through every gear, like how I pull numbers from girls, effortlessly."

It mostly well enough written though, and appears to be a fair an unbiased view of the car. Well done for that

On the other hand, you clearly missed the point of the i8, and the design objectives behind that. Secondly, your lack of real world experience of performance cars comes through very clearly.

You can work on the former easily enough, and the latter will come with time. Stick at it

The conclusion however was flawed as a result of these things.
Appreciate 0