Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-04-2014, 04:03 AM   #45
tremnon
Rep
Drives: no comment

If you are interested in Cruise Control and other similar features on the I3/I8, you can read more info from the OEM which provides those systems to BMW:

http://www.mobileye.com/markets/oem/...w-launch-2013/
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:05 AM   #46
tremnon
Rep
Drives: no comment

IMHO radar based cruise control is better when it matters most: low visibility, fog, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #47
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremnon View Post
If you are interested in Cruise Control and other similar features on the I3/I8, you can read more info from the OEM which provides those systems to BMW:

http://www.mobileye.com/markets/oem/...w-launch-2013/
No mention of the i8, but the i3 has the Adaptive Cruise Control (camera based, not radar, but same exact concept of constant following distance and speed adjustment).

That would suck if the i3 has it and the i8 does not.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #48
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Agree to disagree then. They could save us all a lot of trouble by just coming out and informing everyone.
Believe me when I say I would prefer to be wrong on this one.
Hopefully there will be updated info sometime in the coming months.
All of the info that's been released is from September of last year, with nothing new trickling out.

I wish I had thought of asking these questions when I went to the i8 events back in December, I would have asked them.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #49
forrests
Rep
Drives: i8

Hi guys. Above there is a thread on sitting on in the car. Peter confirmed to me that there is no blind spot warning system in the new car!

Bummer!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #50
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrests View Post
Hi guys. Above there is a thread on sitting on in the car. Peter confirmed to me that there is no blind spot warning system in the new car!

Bummer!

Steve
I'm still probably going to eat my words, but unless he works for BMW in the "i8" department, I'm going to take what a salesman in the UK says with a grain of salt. One dealer I talked to in September just went ahead and made up an options list to give to perspective i8 customers including speculative pricing, then began asking for $5k, non-refundable deposits. Conversely, if I heard from one guy anecdotally that it "did have" those things, it would take more to satiate my confirmation bias. Basically, until I see an official word one way or another, I'm in a wait and see holding position. Maybe it's the engineer in me saying they wouldn't let an oversight such as leaving out blindspot detection, even though all the necessary hardware for it is present. The lane departure detection is less of an issue since it's too sensitive and distracting most of the time (everyone I know that has it turns it off).

The silence is deafening in regards to orders, options, and features.

Last edited by Carac; 04-07-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #51
forrests
Rep
Drives: i8

I hope you are correct!
Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #52
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

Unsure if this can be fully trusted, but if you look at the first image on the top cycle (driver assistance), the third icon in the menu on the left is the one used for blind spot detection in other models.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...om/safety.html
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #53
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
bmw.co.uk updated the configurator, it has all the options, prices, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #54
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
bmw.co.uk updated the configurator, it has all the options, prices, etc.
I just tried it and the link (from the BMW I, i8 build your BMW menu) was broken. I wonder if it was posted prematurely and has been pulled.

Update: tried the link again from Chrome instead of IE, and it worked fine.

Last edited by drlonline; 05-29-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #55
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

Configurator also live in Germany...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #56
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Nothing had apparently changed since the brochure that had on the UK website and pulled earlier this year. (attached)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW-i8-i12-PT-jan-2014_2.pdf (3.82 MB, 352 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #57
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I just tried it and the link (from the BMW I, i8 build your BMW menu) was broken. I wonder if it was posted prematurely and has been pulled.

Update: tried the link again from Chrome instead of IE, and it worked fine.
BMW.co.uk's Car configurator is down again I've tried Opera, Firefox, and Chrome and all come up with the same error. Hopefully they'll fix it soon!
Quote:
Nothing had apparently changed since the brochure that had on the UK website and pulled earlier this year. (attached)
I can't see the prices on the BMW.co.uk's Car Configurator as it's currently down atm, but looking at the attached Spec brochure from the UK website it shows that the Display Key has now been removed from Standard Spec (compared with the original January 2014 brochure which you posted).

T
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #58
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Heh, yeah, other than that.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #59
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm going to see the car at a SoCal dealer sneak peek this weekend, so will ask again about the display key. It was strongly hinted to me by the BMWNA rep at Bimmerfest that the display key is coming, at least in the US. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #60
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I'm going to see the car at a SoCal dealer sneak peek this weekend, so will ask again about the display key. It was strongly hinted to me by the BMWNA rep at Bimmerfest that the display key is coming, at least in the US. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Did you make it to that sneak peak?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #61
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you make it to that sneak peak?
Yes I did. Not surprisingly, the dealer I spoke to didn't have a clue about the display key. She spoke to her general manager who pulled up an internet photo of it, but it was the same one we've seen before and no other info was offered. However, from my conversation with the BMWNA rep at Bimmerfest, I'm pretty convinced it will be provided when cars are delivered to customers.

Regarding the sneak peek, there were no test drives but I did get to sit in and examine the car to my heart's content. I was particularly interested in how it is to get in and out of the car, which I knew was tricky, but it was interesting to actually experience it with the car. Access won't be very popular with the wife, but then she's not the primary driver. Also got to try out the Harman Kardon sound system, which sounded great. And I tried the rear seats to see how well they would accommodate my two young sons. They'll be fine for at least a couple more years, but I'm 5'8" and my head was just hitting the headliner.

All in all, I came away more convinced than ever just how fantastic the car will be, and that was without even driving it. Ordering time can't come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #62
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Sounds like a similar 'event' / opportunity to the one I had back in April at BMW UK's Head Quarters. We too were able to get up close and personal, sit in it (back seats as well as front), look at the boot, play with the infotainment system, ask staff about it (although TBH, they weren't able to tell me anything about the car that I didn't already know from researching online etc).

I too became even more excited after seeing it for real and being able to sit in it etc. Can't wait until the dealership launch events (mid July) and the subsequent customer test drives

T
Appreciate 0