BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Mikegg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, RR SVR, Maserati Ghibli

Coolant Leak

Hey guys,

Hope everyone has been enjoying the summer! Had the car out today and got an alert of "Low Coolant, fill up immediately"

I got home within 10 minutes, parked it in my garage. Went back out an hour later and noticed a puddle of liquid under the mid of the car.

I am going to get the car towed to the dealer. Anyone else have a similar issue? If so, what was the outcome and how long did it take to fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegg View Post
Hey guys,

Hope everyone has been enjoying the summer! Had the car out today and got an alert of "Low Coolant, fill up immediately"

I got home within 10 minutes, parked it in my garage. Went back out an hour later and noticed a puddle of liquid under the mid of the car.

I am going to get the car towed to the dealer. Anyone else have a similar issue? If so, what was the outcome and how long did it take to fix?
What color is the liquid? Are you sure it's not just water from the AC?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #3
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegg View Post
Hey guys,

I've had the low coolant warning and the dealer had it in twice to fix.

First they just topped up and pressure tested.

Warning came back so they changed the expansion (header tank) as there's some known fault on these.

IMO it was most likely the seal in the expansion tank cap - as this is a common fault in many cars causing gradual coolant loss once up operating temp. But the chose to change the whole tank on warranty!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Mikegg
Private First Class
Rep

Took it to the dealer, they topped it off and I took it home within an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
SonnyParisi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360 Modena, BMW 650i,

hey guys sorry this is the first thread i saw for the i8. it's telling me i don't have permission to post? how come? how do i fix that?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

I's suggest taking this seriously. I got the same warning and finally end up to have extensive cooling system replacement at service. Leaking cooler and bunch of cooling system parts were replaced.
      08-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Mikegg
Private First Class
Rep

Light came back on.. took into dealer again today ... reset light and topped off.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
nunosousa
Rep
Drives: 135i , M3 Cabrio (gone!), i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
I's suggest taking this seriously. I got the same warning and finally end up to have extensive cooling system replacement at service. Leaking cooler and bunch of cooling system parts were replaced.
My i8 cooling fluid warning light came on today . Took it to BMW.
Instead of topping off the coolant level , they chose to keep the car for investigation....

Problems ahead.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
nunosousa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunosousa View Post
My i8 cooling fluid warning light came on today . Took it to BMW.
Instead of topping off the coolant level , they chose to keep the car for investigation....

Problems ahead.

Still in BMW shop.
Told me that they’re going to drive the car around ??? (Asked me permission for it ) and then they will let me know...
Seems they don’t know what it is or are not willing to make extensive parts replacement....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunosousa View Post
Still in BMW shop.
Told me that they’re going to drive the car around ??? (Asked me permission for it ) and then they will let me know...
Seems they don’t know what it is or are not willing to make extensive parts replacement....
I'd call that unacceptable, they've had numerous attempts to fix it and quite some time by the looks of it.

If the liquid is under the middle of the car that should hopefully limit the possible causes? The rad is at the front, the engine at the rear and pipes running between the two! Liquid can run along things but still shouldn't be that hard to find a leak.

Can you lemon the car, or at least threaten to?
      08-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
nsousa
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
I'd call that unacceptable, they've had numerous attempts to fix it and quite some time by the looks of it.

If the liquid is under the middle of the car that should hopefully limit the possible causes? The rad is at the front, the engine at the rear and pipes running between the two! Liquid can run along things but still shouldn't be that hard to find a leak.

Can you lemon the car, or at least threaten to?
Been following what they are doing via iRemote. Drove 25 miles. Still no contact.
How can I lemon the car ? What is it ? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsousa View Post
Been following what they are doing via iRemote. Drove 25 miles. Still no contact.
How can I lemon the car ? What is it ? Thanks.
Sorry, more of a USA term - means the car is a "lemon" - in other words not of sufficient quality and can be rejected by the buyer. Usually only really applies to new cars or cars bought very recently if used. It would depend on your local legislation (I see you are in Portugal so no idea what your options are)

25 miles with no overheat implies the leak is small I would think as it doesn't take much to empty a coolant system, they should be able to pressure test and use some UV dye maybe (like testing for AC leaks?).

When mine had overheat (I believe due to a sensor), my iRemote notified me of the error so I knew they were out testing!
      08-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
nunosousa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Sorry, more of a USA term - means the car is a "lemon" - in other words not of sufficient quality and can be rejected by the buyer. Usually only really applies to new cars or cars bought very recently if used. It would depend on your local legislation (I see you are in Portugal so no idea what your options are)

25 miles with no overheat implies the leak is small I would think as it doesn't take much to empty a coolant system, they should be able to pressure test and use some UV dye maybe (like testing for AC leaks?).

When mine had overheat (I believe due to a sensor), my iRemote notified me of the error so I knew they were out testing!
Well... I hope the i8 is not a lemon. I really enjoy driving it.
Today I received some feedback. They drove 100 km and car does not leak. They purged and refilled the system and are keeping the car some more days to check sensor health.

What a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Had this flash up today.

Ironically came on after I picked the car up from its first oil service. Suspect it's purely coincidental.

Booked in to BMW tomoz for a 'top up'. Will keep you posted how I get on.

On another note, did software update and something to the door hinge (as part of a recall?).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #15
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

BMW topped coolant up but warning came back on, on the trip home.

Something not right, so called BMW Assist and car is currently on a transporter en route to dealer :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #16
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
It's in the shop now getting coolant....light came on first time and they just topped it off, lasted 2 months. Came on again and also getting spark plugs changed. No leaking fluid though....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #17
arijaycomet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Just to add one more user into the mix of input/data fields here:

Picked up a 3,700 mile old 2015 i8 about a month ago. I've put almost 2,000 miles on since then. Had the light pop up 2 days ago that coolant was low, first time in 2k miles. Drove to dealer immediately, the level was just below the fill line-- so not much coolant missing. They topped off the level and let me drive away. I've put ~250 miles on in the past 2 days, no issues!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #18
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Got mine back. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Coolant level fine, pressure fine, no leaks. Sensors not flagging anything in diagnostics either.

Said maybe the recent software update (had it couple of days ago) may have 'caused a glitch'.

Just got to drive it and see how I get on. :
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #19
nunosousa
Rep

I knew it...

Bad news. 2 weeks diagnosing.
Say they are replacing expansion tank and sensor.
Want to charge me around 500 USD.
Made a formal,complaint asking for explanations
Waiting...

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #20
i8Norway
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijaycomet View Post
Just to add one more user into the mix of input/data fields here:

Picked up a 3,700 mile old 2015 i8 about a month ago. I've put almost 2,000 miles on since then. Had the light pop up 2 days ago that coolant was low, first time in 2k miles. Drove to dealer immediately, the level was just below the fill line-- so not much coolant missing. They topped off the level and let me drive away. I've put ~250 miles on in the past 2 days, no issues!

Do you know how much they topped it off with?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #21
arijaycomet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8Norway View Post
Do you know how much they topped it off with?
Sorry but they didn't say how many ounces or liters or whatever measurement you want to know were added. Normally dealerships just have large jugs they use so for things like a small top-off it'd be hard to know for sure how much was used. Also this was a while ago now, too!
Appreciate 0