Mrrippey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650gc, 2009 Audi Q5

Garage List
Question Considering moving from 650gc to i8

Hello all,

As the title says, looking to move to an i8. A couple of questions:
1. Not sure how these are moving on the used market but I feel like deals can be made. Would love to get one in the $70-$85k

2. If I purchase an i8 under warranty, can I buy an extended warranty from BMW? This will be a daily driver and I drive 15k miles a year.

3. Anything I should look for when buying an i8? Any gotchas or must have options?

4. I know there are three 'worlds' with the highest having the brown interior. How can I tell the difference between the other two worlds?

Hopefully I will join the fold.

Rippey
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

Unless you are buying a car already certified I do not think that you can buy a warranty from BMW unless you buy from the dealership. I do not think you will find a car at 70 or even 80K that is certified from a BMW dealer. Cars equipped like mine seem (2014 Pure impulse similar mileage) seem to have the same asking price they had a year ago. I have seen a few with lower asking prices, from non BMW dealers and higher than what seems to be normal driving mileage for these cars. There are certain cars I would only buy from a dealer, and only with a warranty, this is one of them. As far as the differences between the i8 and the 650 GC (I had at one point 2 650's a coupe and convert), there are a quite a few some harder to live with than others, but I have a lot of other cars including a 440 GC. I was not aware that there was a higher level than pure impulse (my interior is not brown), but I wanted the car exactly the way mine is. I doubt I could live with this car as a daily driver but then again I can say the same thing about all my cars that is why I have so many. Good luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
Mrrippey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650gc, 2009 Audi Q5

Garage List
Thanks for the info.

The certified i8's are in the $90's and not sure of I can knock them down to say $85k (and it's blue which I don't want).

I'll keep searching and I'll buy certified. May be much easier as it would be a bimmer for bimmer swap.

I found some additional information regarding basic warranty on the i8 and it is 4/50 drivetrain (i am guessing this would be for the engine in the back) and maintenance and 8/100 for the hybrid components. The i8 I am looking at has under 10K miles so it has at least one more year of maintenance (it is a 2014) and 4 more years on the hybrid drivetrain. I have reached out to BMW to see if I was to buy this car if those warranties are still valid (even though I didn't get the car from them). If they say yes AND I can get the car for $80K, I'd do it.

As for this being my daily driver, my 650gc empty 99% of the time and my wife has a Mini Countryman JCW which we can use to carry anything bigger than a breadbox. The i8 will be my commuter and Sunday morning, fun drive car.

Rippey

Last edited by Mrrippey; 09-15-2017 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Hi Rippey

My previous car was also a 6 series Gran Coupe, although I had the 640 and not the 650. I leased a '16 i8 about a year ago. Coming from the 6 you will really enjoy how much lighter and smaller the i8 is. The i8 is also much more forgiving on less than stellar roads compared to the 6.

With regards to the Worlds - there were originally 4: mega, giga, tera and pure impulse. In 2016 pure impulse went a way. Mega interior has light grey leather and cloth on the seats (no blue seat belt). Giga interior has white or black leather on the seats (no blue seat belt). Tera has the brown leather and cloth with the blue seat belts. Pure Impulse has the light grey leather on the seats with the blue seat belts.

You should be fine using it as a daily driver - the biggest constraint with this car is the lack of storage and it is really more of a 2 seater but you mention that you have another car when you need more space.

It looks like are in NJ, so if you do want to use it in the winter you may want to investigate the winter tire / wheel options in advance.

Good luck with the hunt and let us know how you make out.

Best,
Jeff
2014 BMW 640iX GC (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by 363ny; 09-15-2017 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
SonnyParisi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360 Modena, BMW 650i,

few good points mentioned here. i just went from an R8 to an i8 during the beginning of august. it's a relaxed drive with light steering. i like driving in eDrive with eco pro for most efficiency out of the electric motor. i get about 15 solid miles of pure electric drive, put it in sport mode for 10 minutes having fun & you have 8mi of electric charge. SUPER easy & very efficient. i will say, don't expect getting anything near 20mi of electric charge like they claimed at launch. i got a 2014 white/blue tera world (brown leather with blue seat belts with blue on the wheel) for $86,500. 10,552 miles. good deals are out there. try negotiating too, i've found that people will negotiate for these cars. they were asking $94,995 & got them to $86,500. good luck! deals are out there, keep us posted!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

2014 wholesale is around 86K, that's at a BMW dealer in the MW.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
My opinion (probably not worth much).......

I would never purchase a pre-owned i8. The car is so complex that doing anything other than a lease seems too risky (for me at least).

I LOVE my i8 and do not regret leasing it. However, I'm also happy that I'll be getting out of it while still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

LOL I own an Alfa 4c and an Evora 400, not to mention one of my Porsche's (I took it apart 24 hours after buying it new a record for me and it stayed that way for 1/12 years while I redesigned it), so don't care much about warranties. I can see how some might though. The i8 while it is not the Ford GT, does require a bit more room to get in and out of (I am older but still in good shape and agile), so if someone parks too close getting in can be hard, especially if you are a larger size. There are no seat memory button and seats are not as adjustable as on other BMW's (they are comfortable for me). It draws a lot more attention than I thought it would (I live a few minutes from Alga Ferrari and Kerbeck is about a half hour away) since there are a lot of look at me cars (that cost a lot more) where I live the attention was unexpected and not welcomed. I have only put about 800 miles on the i8 but when I bought it was certified and the best service plan they had (100,000 miles I think) was included. My car was showroom new (had the best film job I've ever seen too) and I paid low 90's for it (with everything included). I bought it because it was unique, many of my cars are faster, handle better and are more fun to drive but nothing is as civilized and as good looking as the i8 (Ferrari GT cars and Aston's are more high strung), so I intend to keep it until something better (at what it does for me) comes along. I am still in the process of modifying the 4C and only starting to decide what needs (already having new steering wheel made) to be changed on the Lotus. My girlfriend will not let me touch the 718 Cayman S I bought her. To me cars are like an empty canvass for me to change. Truth is I can think of as many reason most people would not buy and i8 as they would. For me I just had had to have one. I bought my car in the winter from the Midwest (I never saw it till it was delivered), and I was able to convince the dealer that when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground i8's are not on most peoples minds. That might work for you too.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I'm keeping mine and will be getting an extended warranty
      09-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
I plan on doing the same as well. It's such a captivating vehicle from a visual and especially from a functional perspective. By BMW incorporating those attributes into a low slung precision handling sports GT, it's pushed a lot of right buttons for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
LOL I own an Alfa 4c and an Evora 400, not to mention one of my Porsche's (I took it apart 24 hours after buying it new a record for me and it stayed that way for 1/12 years while I redesigned it), so don't care much about warranties. I can see how some might though. The i8 while it is not the Ford GT, does require a bit more room to get in and out of (I am older but still in good shape and agile), so if someone parks too close getting in can be hard, especially if you are a larger size. There are no seat memory button and seats are not as adjustable as on other BMW's (they are comfortable for me). It draws a lot more attention than I thought it would (I live a few minutes from Alga Ferrari and Kerbeck is about a half hour away) since there are a lot of look at me cars (that cost a lot more) where I live the attention was unexpected and not welcomed. I have only put about 800 miles on the i8 but when I bought it was certified and the best service plan they had (100,000 miles I think) was included. My car was showroom new (had the best film job I've ever seen too) and I paid low 90's for it (with everything included). I bought it because it was unique, many of my cars are faster, handle better and are more fun to drive but nothing is as civilized and as good looking as the i8 (Ferrari GT cars and Aston's are more high strung), so I intend to keep it until something better (at what it does for me) comes along. I am still in the process of modifying the 4C and only starting to decide what needs (already having new steering wheel made) to be changed on the Lotus. My girlfriend will not let me touch the 718 Cayman S I bought her. To me cars are like an empty canvass for me to change. Truth is I can think of as many reason most people would not buy and i8 as they would. For me I just had had to have one. I bought my car in the winter from the Midwest (I never saw it till it was delivered), and I was able to convince the dealer that when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground i8's are not on most peoples minds. That might work for you too.
Sr. How many times are you going to sing the same old song ? everytime you write something is to tell us how you have x and x car and the porsche you bought and took apart 24 hours later to spend xx amount of money on.. Lord Jesus enough...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
Keep me posted on the warranty .... we are both the early adopters here and we will keep them.....
Appreciate 1
jcpca356164.00
      09-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #13
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Sr. How many times are you going to sing the same old song ? everytime you write something is to tell us how you have x and x car and the porsche you bought and took apart 24 hours later to spend xx amount of money on.. Lord Jesus enough...
You want to hear about my 132 patents and that every car built in the last 20 years has something I designed in it. You normal people have so much emotion.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel
Quote:
You want to hear about my 132 patents and that every car built in the last 20 years has something I designed in it. You normal people have so much emotion.
"We normal people" very cool ?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

Well I for one wanna hear more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
      09-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:

I just ignored the post due to the mono-block text. He needs to learn to write in paragraphs
Appreciate 0