BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Car damaged by BMW Assist

Called BMW Assist to take car in when I was getting the low coolant message.

Whilst loaded my car into a transporter I heard a very loud bang - Loud enough to hear from inside the house. I went out and asked the chap what that bang was. 'Nothing mate, just the ramps falling away'.

Nothing, eh? Cleaned the car today and saw large section of plastic rim on the front of rear wheel arch completely broken off!

Called BMW to inform them of the 'incident' and also requested a full inspection the underside if the car. BMW are 'investigating' and will get back me!

Anyone else has any similar 'incidents' whilst their car was in the care of BMW?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Sorry to hear this, and I hope BMW will do the decent thing and accept responsibility. Might come down to their driver's word against yours though
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Sorry to hear this, and I hope BMW will do the decent thing and accept responsibility. Might come down to their driver's word against yours though
Me too!

He was very meticulous in recording existing stone chips, etc so there will be no doubt that the damage was not there before, or he would have logged and photographed it, as he did the other stuff.

If there is an argument, it'll be that I've had the car back a week before I noticed it! :-/

Lesson learned - fully inspect car at the garage before driving off in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post

Lesson learned - fully inspect car at the garage before driving off in it.
As well as inspecting it. I actually have a habit of photographing my car when I leave it, in their presence, and again upon collection. And a walk-around video.

It only takes a minute each time.

And with a non-dealer (i.e. when I had my wheels done) I pointed out to them that the car had full GPS tracking, including geo-fencing, and I also photographed the dash for mileage.

I too have had a bad experience long ago, with a Lotus garage marking my engine cover (boot).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:22 AM   #5
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
As well as inspecting it. I actually have a habit of photographing my car when I leave it, in their presence, and again upon collection. And a walk-around video.

It only takes a minute each time.

And with a non-dealer (i.e. when I had my wheels done) I pointed out to them that the car had full GPS tracking, including geo-fencing, and I also photographed the dash for mileage.

I too have had a bad experience long ago, with a Lotus garage marking my engine cover (boot).
All good tips!

Sorry to hear about this Zagaboo - hope it gets sorted in your favour.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

My car needed a tow once so I called BMW Assist and made them very aware of how low the car was (as I'm on coilovers) and that the tow company must be experienced with towing these kind of cars.

The lady from BMW Assist made sure she spoke with the designated towing company and confirmed they are aware of the ride height/ground clearance and will take extra precaution.

Truck comes to pickup the car and it looks like a regular flatbed. After beginning to explain the best way to lift the car without scraping, the driver cuts me off and says "Ive towed multiple lowered BMWs" before, and proceeds to take out a pair of wood planks, that are cracked and barely 1.5ft in length.

The car was being towed from a shop that deals with high performance cars, so they offered to supply their own wood planks that were far stronger and better suited to this situation. The driver declines and proceeds to drive a fairly powerful RWD car up the ramp by himself. As nervous as I am, I can only deal with the cards I have. After getting the front on, he places the planks in front of the rear tires and begins to drive up. In a split second, all I see are the wood planks shoot out the back (one hitting me in the leg) and the rear end smack the ground. He accelerated too fast, and as a result my carbon exhaust tips and custom (1-of-1) bodykit was damaged. The shop staff come out again to help finally get the car on without anymore damage, after we discover the guy had a winch THE WHOLE time, but refused to use it.

After some back an forth with BMW Assist, the company was held liable and must compensate me for repairs now. The first mistake was you not being there as your car gets towed, especially with a car like an i8. You should always witness when something out of your control is being done with your car (if circumstances permit). Take a lot of pictures and make sure you have your facts ready. I hope it works out for you, best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
My car needed a tow once so I called BMW Assist and made them very aware of how low the car was (as I'm on coilovers) and that the tow company must be experienced with towing these kind of cars.

The lady from BMW Assist made sure she spoke with the designated towing company and confirmed they are aware of the ride height/ground clearance and will take extra precaution.

Truck comes to pickup the car and it looks like a regular flatbed. After beginning to explain the best way to lift the car without scraping, the driver cuts me off and says "Ive towed multiple lowered BMWs" before, and proceeds to take out a pair of wood planks, that are cracked and barely 1.5ft in length.

The car was being towed from a shop that deals with high performance cars, so they offered to supply their own wood planks that were far stronger and better suited to this situation. The driver declines and proceeds to drive a fairly powerful RWD car up the ramp by himself. As nervous as I am, I can only deal with the cards I have. After getting the front on, he places the planks in front of the rear tires and begins to drive up. In a split second, all I see are the wood planks shoot out the back (one hitting me in the leg) and the rear end smack the ground. He accelerated too fast, and as a result my carbon exhaust tips and custom (1-of-1) bodykit was damaged. The shop staff come out again to help finally get the car on without anymore damage, after we discover the guy had a winch THE WHOLE time, but refused to use it.

After some back an forth with BMW Assist, the company was held liable and must compensate me for repairs now. The first mistake was you not being there as your car gets towed, especially with a car like an i8. You should always witness when something out of your control is being done with your car (if circumstances permit). Take a lot of pictures and make sure you have your facts ready. I hope it works out for you, best of luck.
That's my failing. Trusting the 'professional'.

I will video any handling of my car the future.

I think the same happened, the ramps (although metal) slipped out from under the car :-/

Still waiting to hear from BMW!
Appreciate 0