BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
jonathanthehornet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i8

Worn Seat

I've got about 6 months left on my warranty and i was wondering whether i should try and get my driver's seat replaced. I've done less than 8,000 miles yet the side of the driver's seat is badly worn, no doubt from the slide action you need to do to get in the car. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and done anything about it?

NB i do have the ivory colour seats, so maybe they could argue that they wear more easily, but even so i don't think this level of wear and tear is acceptable after only driving it 8,000 miles.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
No issues with worn seats after 27 months and about 18000 miles. I have the light colored seats, but I don't use "slide action" to get in and out. What I do have is some dye transfer from seat belts and dark jeans. Looking into solutions to get that out. Ideas, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
No issues with worn seats after 27 months and about 18000 miles. I have the light colored seats, but I don't use "slide action" to get in and out. What I do have is some dye transfer from seat belts and dark jeans. Looking into solutions to get that out. Ideas, anyone?
BMW leather cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

Use leather cleaner AND conditioner. It's ideal to let the conditioner soak in for 24hours and then wipe it off, that'll protect it better. If you've got the ivory seats, it's probably a good idea to at least clean them with leather cleaner/conditioner once or twice a year to prevent the dye from jeans building up.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #5
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanthehornet View Post
I've got about 6 months left on my warranty and i was wondering whether i should try and get my driver's seat replaced. I've done less than 8,000 miles yet the side of the driver's seat is badly worn, no doubt from the slide action you need to do to get in the car. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and done anything about it?

NB i do have the ivory colour seats, so maybe they could argue that they wear more easily, but even so i don't think this level of wear and tear is acceptable after only driving it 8,000 miles.

There have been a few folks who have complained about this on the bmw i community forum here in the UK and they have reported that they have had their seats replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:13 AM   #6
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
I use Dr Leather wipes and then their Dyeblock Protectant.
http://www.drleather.com/Leather-Cle...ner-Range.aspx

Works very well.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

I've used BMW and Land Rover leather cleaner to remove jean dye on ivory seats.

Be careful though - the leather is alarmingly thin and I wore a very small area through by rubbing too hard.

The Leather seems to be much thinner (finer?) than the wife's Evoque!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep

No issues with me either after 2.5 years and 8k miles. always use leather conditioners at least twice a year, especially on bolsters. any car. period.
      08-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post

Be careful though - the leather is alarmingly thin and I wore a very small area through by rubbing too hard.

Agree on this front, a friend has a ten year old Jag Xj with 250k miles on it, the leather has barely worn and still cleans nicely whereas BMWs I've owned with cream leather appear to be thin and easy to permanently mark (maybe the dye is washing out?)
      08-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #10
jonathanthehornet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
88i8
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 Pure Impulse

Hi jonathanthehornet,
My 2015 car with 10,000 miles has light wear to the drivers seat back bolster - light enough for me to be able to restore it completely with the right products, however I'm keeping an eye on it before I do.
I raised it with BMW M-K, who have suggested I don't treat it with any products, as if it gets worse then they will refer it to BMW for replacement under warranty. I've got until Jan 2018, at which point I'll give it a last review with BMW, and then get my detailer to restore them with suitable products.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post

Thin because it is lightweight - another i Division weight saving measure.

By the way I found that baby wipes will remove jeans dye easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Update: the leather in the centre part of the seat has started to fail, small cracks and micro peeling in multiple places.

Hardly see it in normal conditions, because the underlying 'suede' is similar colour to the wafer thin leather but wipe with a damp cloth and the 'suede' shows through darker, showing where it is failing.

Pointed it out to dealer today and seat to be replaced under warranty!

I reckon there was a dodgy batch of Carum Grey leather doing the rounds in late 15!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #14
randi41
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3-series

Leatherique has some good leather cleaners and conditioners.
Appreciate 0