02-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Bmw i3 seats unsupportive, causing back problems?

Is anybody else noticing discomfort / back pain after driving the i3 for more than 10 or 15 miles? The broken MI roads aren't helping either, but I never had back problems in my other cars, I think it's the lack of lumbar support that I'm noticing the most. Any recommendations for a cushion to use? Can't change the ride and I like the car, so I figure that is my best option.

I was without the i3 for a week and my back felt better after day 3, no issues in a 3 series loaner. Just trying to see if I'm the only one experiencing these problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I agree and I was going to purchase an i3 last month as I had one for two days but me and my wife ended up with sore backs. I've owned many BMW cars and have always been able to adjust the seats to give support but not this car. BMW needs to do some work on the seats.
      02-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann
Is anybody else noticing discomfort / back pain after driving the i3 for more than 10 or 15 miles? The broken MI roads aren't helping either, but I never had back problems in my other cars, I think it's the lack of lumbar support that I'm noticing the most. Any recommendations for a cushion to use? Can't change the ride and I like the car, so I figure that is my best option.

I was without the i3 for a week and my back felt better after day 3, no issues in a 3 series loaner. Just trying to see if I'm the only one experiencing these problems.
When I bought the countryman in 2011 the seats didn't have lumbar support .... They do now!

While I haven't had any issues and find the seats suit my need and find them comfortable I imagine a lumbar support will find its way into the seats as the product matures. It's possible they couldn't package a lumbar support in these seats as their new technology right now being as thin as they are. But that will change in time.

Though they could have used airbags.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Thats the great thing about BMW's I've never needed lumbar support the seats just work.

The other seat we have enjoyed was the Mustang seats.
      02-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

I refuse to buy another BMW without lumbar support. There is no way, and I agree with the OP the i3 seats aren't great. On my 3 day test drive, I had bad back pains (80miles round trip). I learned my lesson a long time ago. No lumbar, not for me.

In my past two minis, I had to add lumbar support myself (no lumbar from factory without leather).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Thanks or the input! Do any of guys who came up with aftermarket solution have a suggestion for a cushion to use? it needs to be relatively narrow to fit the shape of the seat... I'd love to just try that before considering any other measures. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Just take the car into you BMW dealer they will/should sort is for you that's what they are for well our dealer do.
      03-03-2015, 02:01 AM   #8
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I too find the i3 seats very uncomfortable. The seats are the worst of any BMW seats I've tried. They are very flat and don't offer very much support. Looks like they were going for maximum weight savings and comfort was not at the top of their priorities.

If it makes anyone feel better, the i8 doesn't have lumbar support but are a world more supportive compare to the i3 seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
I too find the i3 seats very uncomfortable. The seats are the worst of any BMW seats I've tried. They are very flat and don't offer very much support. Looks like they were going for maximum weight savings and comfort was not at the top of their priorities.

If it makes anyone feel better, the i8 doesn't have lumbar support but are a world more supportive compare to the i3 seats.
Well, considering the amount of money and time that went into developing these i cars, there must be good reason why each seat design was chosen. No lumbar support due to weight savings, probably, and surely the i8 deserves a more supportive seat than the i3... but a tiny bit more support on the i3 wouldnt have been too much to ask for.

Someone pointed out that it might be me, not the car. Apperently a back in need of work requires more support - makes sense, so i'm willing to give that a try soon and see how it feels after a back massage or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

How far are you driving your i3 in one sitting? I have various issues with my back, but when used as intended...a mega city commuting vehicle, I'm never in it more than an hour or so at a time and I've never had issues.

The i8, on the other hand, with the larger gas motor and fuel tank, IS designed for much longer travel, and I'd hope the seats were better, even if it didn't cost 2.5x as much. I found I could 'fall' into the i8, but my back did not like trying to get out of one! While in, during my short stay, the seats were unremarkable...that is to say, they didn't appear to hurt anything anywhere, and I had enough adjustment to be comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post

Well, considering the amount of money and time that went into developing these i cars, there must be good reason why each seat design was chosen. No lumbar support due to weight savings, probably, and surely the i8 deserves a more supportive seat than the i3... but a tiny bit more support on the i3 wouldnt have been too much to ask for.

Someone pointed out that it might be me, not the car. Apperently a back in need of work requires more support - makes sense, so i'm willing to give that a try soon and see how it feels after a back massage or two.
I'm telling you, when your back or muscles are out of adjustment or tight it creates all sorts of havoc.

I remember scoffing about the masseurs and thought more harm comes from it than good as I always found them to be painful and after a bunch of chiropractic adjustments which made things moderately better it was the deep tissue massage therapy that fixed me.

I had never enjoyed my z4 seats till after that session, mind you it took about 3 weeks of sessions to get all the funk out but after years of having to squirm about to be comfortable in the seats now I'm in complete comfort. Totally amazing now that I look back at it how I had gone years in pain and now have been pain free for 4 years.

It's not for everyone but it changed my driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I think the i3 has some of the most comfortable seats of any car I've had. No back problems here. Good thing you pussies didn't grow up 100 years ago when there was no such thing as lumbar support. You'd all be cripples.
Appreciate 0