Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

11-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

i3 iND Front painted reflector install (Added Front grilles and wheels)

Just finished up the iND front painted reflector install on the new i3. Small mods like this can make a world of difference. Up next springs and wheels

For the install all you need is an 8mm socket.

Remove the 3x 8mm bolts on the fender liner

Pull the liner back to access the amber core reflectors

Press on the outside of the reflector to release the reflector from the bumper cover

OEM core removed

Remove all 3M tape from inside the bumper cover before installing the new set

Remove the protective tape on the new painted reflectors

Press the new reflector in and make sure the 3M tape makes contact with the bumper cover

Re install the 3x 8mm bolts and enjoy

Gloss black front grilles-

My new wheels are in from HRE......

Last edited by Nate@IND; 05-13-2015 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

that is helpful and easy - thank you; may be ordering a set for my white i3
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
that is helpful and easy - thank you; may be ordering a set for my white i3
Super easy install! Let me know if you need any help
      11-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Who makes springs for the i3? Can't wait to see how that looks.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Just finished up the iND front painted reflector install on the new i3. Small mods like this can make a world of difference. Up next springs and wheels

For the install all you need is an 8mm socket.

Remove the 3x 8mm bolts on the fender liner

Pull the liner back to access the amber core reflectors

Press on the outside of the reflector to release the reflector from the bumper cover

OEM core removed

Remove all 3M tape from inside the bumper cover before installing the new set

Remove the protective tape on the new painted reflectors

Press the new reflector in and make sure the 3M tape makes contact with the bumper cover

Re install the 3x 8mm bolts and enjoy
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but why would you want to remove what is a small but nonetheless important piece of the car's safety equipment?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Working on getting a spring kit made now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonh View Post
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but why would you want to remove what is a small but nonetheless important piece of the car's safety equipment?
Correct the painted reflectors are not street legal in the US. Surprisingly front reflectors are not required in the Europe. TUV laws tend to be more strict than US.
      11-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Where I live, effectively removing the reflectors would make the vehicle fail the annual safety inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
say goodbye to that excellent turning radius!

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Quote:
say goodbye to that excellent turning radius!
How does lowering the car affect turning radius?

I'm perplexed never heard of lowering affecting turning radius!

Either way I'd take the lowered look vs turning radius any day!!

And why all the hate about tuning or modding the i3. What the heck, if someone wants to mod it let them mod it, free country! Different strokes for different folks. Hence the word "personalize"

Not all cities and states have checkups and such.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Nate@IND
Rep

Tough crowd around here

3D Design is set to release an i3 carbon front lip and roof spoiler. The spring kit will be released at the Essen motor show.
      11-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Lowering the vehicle puts the wheel closer to the fender well (obviously!), and it also puts more angle on the tie-rod ends. It can affect the front end alignment (tow-in/out, caster chamber). The combination can affect how far you can go before something rubs or binds...especially if you hit a bump while turning, and can affect handling. THen, on the i3, it may not make much of any difference.

Tweak the car all you want! But, make modifications to US DOT mandatory functions (reflectors, lights, wheel position (can't have the top outside of the fender well legally)), and you can run into issues...some of which can cost you, especially if you end up in an accident and one or more of the safety features were defeated or removed. Government nannies can be annoying, but they generally do have your best interests in mind, even if misguided!

BMW spent over a $1B developing the i3, they obviously made some compromises along the way, but there is a reason why things are as they are. You're less likely to cross a state line in an i3 than most other cars, but if you do, then you're open to their laws on mandatory equipment if stopped for some reason or have an accident. Lawyers are always looking to place blame on someone else, and not having the required safety equipment is just one possible way for them to blame you, or decrease the liability of the guy that may hit you.

The way I look at it, I can't see the outside of the car while driving, and I could care less what others think. I'll tweak something if it makes it safer, or improves upon something I really want without making a compromise I'm unwilling to live with.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Lowering the vehicle puts the wheel closer to the fender well (obviously!), and it also puts more angle on the tie-rod ends. It can affect the front end alignment (tow-in/out, caster chamber). The combination can affect how far you can go before something rubs or binds...especially if you hit a bump while turning, and can affect handling. THen, on the i3, it may not make much of any difference.

Tweak the car all you want! But, make modifications to US DOT mandatory functions (reflectors, lights, wheel position (can't have the top outside of the fender well legally)), and you can run into issues...some of which can cost you, especially if you end up in an accident and one or more of the safety features were defeated or removed. Government nannies can be annoying, but they generally do have your best interests in mind, even if misguided!

BMW spent over a $1B developing the i3, they obviously made some compromises along the way, but there is a reason why things are as they are. You're less likely to cross a state line in an i3 than most other cars, but if you do, then you're open to their laws on mandatory equipment if stopped for some reason or have an accident. Lawyers are always looking to place blame on someone else, and not having the required safety equipment is just one possible way for them to blame you, or decrease the liability of the guy that may hit you.

The way I look at it, I can't see the outside of the car while driving, and I could care less what others think. I'll tweak something if it makes it safer, or improves upon something I really want without making a compromise I'm unwilling to live with.
A big +1
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea makes sense, all is good though you can always align it after lowering anyhow with the right suspension mods. Plus a slight lower is better than like a coil over drop. But I've always been big on personalizing and making it your own, funny thing is I guess some cars and fans of said cars bring certain expectations if you will. Like since I'm coming from a 1 series where if you didn't mod or tinker something was wrong with you to an electric car where maybe the fan base has different sort of feelings of what the car is about.
Like if I remember surfing the Prius forums, don't think I ever heard of anyone modding their car. This being a highly styled BMW it almost begs for it. I like it the way it is but I bet their will be some very cool aftermarket stuff coming down the latter soon. Especially at sema. Even saw a fully carbon wheel that could be put on our car. Not cheap though. I'm just sour at all the regulations as I'm designing headlights right now for a future car product and all the test points I have to hit drive me nuts.

Some would only matter to a squirrel before getting hit. But oh well, I live the design process every day having to meet all design requirements on everything so our product is legal to sell.

Must be why I love to change it afterward so much. When I design and sketch a car all those markers and safety stuff are not on the sketch hence why concept cars look so cool, their not legal in many ways but look oh so hot. I don't know but I embrace people changing their cars up to what they enjoy, I heavily modified my Z4 and people looked at me weird because they didn't understand why I would modify it but I didn't care it's when "I" look back at it when I walk to work that makes me smile and know theirs not another like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
mindmachine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW IX iDrive50, 23 Tesla X

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea makes sense, all is good though you can always align it after lowering anyhow with the right suspension mods. Plus a slight lower is better than like a coil over drop. But I've always been big on personalizing and making it your own, funny thing is I guess some cars and fans of said cars bring certain expectations if you will. Like since I'm coming from a 1 series where if you didn't mod or tinker something was wrong with you to an electric car where maybe the fan base has different sort of feelings of what the car is about.
Like if I remember surfing the Prius forums, don't think I ever heard of anyone modding their car. This being a highly styled BMW it almost begs for it. I like it the way it is but I bet their will be some very cool aftermarket stuff coming down the latter soon. Especially at sema. Even saw a fully carbon wheel that could be put on our car. Not cheap though. I'm just sour at all the regulations as I'm designing headlights right now for a future car product and all the test points I have to hit drive me nuts.

Some would only matter to a squirrel before getting hit. But oh well, I live the design process every day having to meet all design requirements on everything so our product is legal to sell.

Must be why I love to change it afterward so much. When I design and sketch a car all those markers and safety stuff are not on the sketch hence why concept cars look so cool, their not legal in many ways but look oh so hot. I don't know but I embrace people changing their cars up to what they enjoy, I heavily modified my Z4 and people looked at me weird because they didn't understand why I would modify it but I didn't care it's when "I" look back at it when I walk to work that makes me smile and know theirs not another like it.
You apparently did not look very far on the Prius forum as there are lots of modder's over there. Springs, wheels, paint, body kits, additional battery capacity,ect.....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmachine
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

You apparently did not look very far on the Prius forum as there are lots of modder's over there. Springs, wheels, paint, body kits, additional battery capacity,ect.....
Yea I didn't . Don't like that thing in the slightest. Was just their reading their opinions and such, It's more of just a state of mind saying some cars are more mod friendly than others.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

it always amazes me how small mods make huge impacts. these are a must IMO

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Nate@IND
Rep

New front lip and roof spoiler just came in from 3D Design Japan going into paint now.

Photos of the Roof spoiler-

12-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wonder how hard it be to buy the panels from the European i3 and paint them and have installed. Then no marker at all.

Look forward to seeing the lip installed. !!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep

installed pics?

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Good stuff.

I'd rather rock the painted reflectors, vs having them, unless I had an actual Orange i3 because they blend.

Must have Haters ~ !

...kind of wheels/tires are you guys considering ,how large can they be without adding compromise?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #21
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel View Post
installed pics?
bueller?

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k