BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

01-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

2015 model differences

Anyone know what the differences are on the 2015 cars vs the 2014 ones? Sorry if there's a thread on this already, I didn't see it when looking around.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The only thing that I'm sure of is that they said the DC fast charge will become standard, verses an option. The 2015 production cycle is a bit shorter than normal, so there may be more tweaks for 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Interesting, sounds like perhaps a '14 model with the fast charge option may be a better buy then.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Price is up $1000. BMW says that the wider near future availability of DC fast charging makes it reasonable to put DC fast charging as standard
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I am glad I ordered my 2014 BEV with DC fast charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Lately, it seems that models have gone up $200-300 dollars a year, then throw in the new 'standard' stuff, that price increase is about in line with the combination of those two things. There may be other minor things - I haven't studied it, or heard about it. I do not think anything major will change. Keep in mind that this is a market to market decision, so what's happening in the USA may or may not happen elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

Heated seats are also now standard...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I still would not order heated seats unless you go with the full leather - I have the Giga seats and the wool is always perfect regardless of temp.

Last edited by Vintage; 03-07-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I still would no order heated seats unless you go with the full leather - I have the Giga seats and the wool is always perfect regardless of temp.
Maybe in relatively mild Austin, TX! WHen cold soaked overnight at single digits, the seats are cold unless you activate the heaters, even if you precondition the car. Today's high was all of 15F here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Holy cow - that is cold!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99
Price is up $1000. BMW says that the wider near future availability of DC fast charging makes it reasonable to put DC fast charging as standard
BMW is going to pay for their poor plug choice by having slow sales for a long time. Because it will be several years before you can find DC fast chargers you can even plug into.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
BMW is going to pay for their poor plug choice by having slow sales for a long time. Because it will be several years before you can find DC fast chargers you can even plug into.
Well, then, it's not only BMW, since Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche, and Volkswagen have all chosen the same standard. I think it will have more traction, and with more cars on the road and the manufacturers interested in keeping their cars moving, SAE CCS seems like it will work out. Keep in mind, the Leaf (and Mitsubishi) have been on sale for awhile, but where I live, none of the dealers have DC chargers installed, and there aren't really more than a very small handful of them in my area even down into Boston, MA, so it's not a big thing. I do expect within the next year or so for there to be lots more CCS units now that the e-Golf is also coming out along with the new Volt. Keep in mind the volume of cars sold - last year, about 16.6million in the USA, with less than 100K of them electric (but growing). It costs money to install these things, and, while the feds extended the tax credits to install them through this year, to install it for the benefit of a few may not be worthwhile. Places where there is a higher concentration of EVs like in CA, have more of them in place verses where I live in New England for a reason, it can be a good sales tool because there are enough people around that will use them.

Maintenance on any DC fast charging unit is more problematic than level 2 units which are essentially just a big switch. A DC fast charging unit is a huge, high voltage power supply that needs a very significant power input. Trying to make those reliable under winter/summer, snow, ice, rain conditions is lots harder than just a fancy switch. Again, easier in CA than NE, where in the last week we've had over 30" of snow, and days when the temp didn't make it over 15F.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
Quote:
Well, then, it's not only BMW, since Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche, and Volkswagen have all chosen the same standard. I think it will have more traction, and with more cars on the road and the manufacturers interested in keeping their cars moving, SAE CCS seems like it will work out. Keep in mind, the Leaf (and Mitsubishi) have been on sale for awhile, but where I live, none of the dealers have DC chargers installed, and there aren't really more than a very small handful of them in my area even down into Boston, MA, so it's not a big thing. I do expect within the next year or so for there to be lots more CCS units now that the e-Golf is also coming out along with the new Volt. Keep in mind the volume of cars sold - last year, about 16.6million in the USA, with less than 100K of them electric (but growing). It costs money to install these things, and, while the feds extended the tax credits to install them through this year, to install it for the benefit of a few may not be worthwhile. Places where there is a higher concentration of EVs like in CA, have more of them in place verses where I live in New England for a reason, it can be a good sales tool because there are enough people around that will use them.

Maintenance on any DC fast charging unit is more problematic than level 2 units which are essentially just a big switch. A DC fast charging unit is a huge, high voltage power supply that needs a very significant power input. Trying to make those reliable under winter/summer, snow, ice, rain conditions is lots harder than just a fancy switch. Again, easier in CA than NE, where in the last week we've had over 30" of snow, and days when the temp didn't make it over 15F.
Yes they are all going to pay threw their asses for that dumb move.

They did not want to pay a usage fee that came with the current widely used standard CHAdeMO.

They are going to pay by having slow to no sales. Not an issue if they are selling a hybrid, as the end-user will be able to get by. But on a pure electric BEV it's a deal killer for those in the know.

The cheap always comes out expensive !
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Chademo uses the CANBUS for communications...IOW, it puts a direct line from the outside to the car's computer bus. Personally, I don't like that. The communications protocol with the SAE CCS standard seems a bit more secure to me, uses fewer fragile connections, and, in the end run, should be more reliable.

We'll see how it works out. I don't see it going away, and the current users of the CCS standard to retool and switch.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #15
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:

They did not want to pay a usage fee that came with the current widely used standard CHAdeMO.

They are going to pay by having slow to no sales. Not an issue if they are selling a hybrid, as the end-user will be able to get by. But on a pure electric BEV it's a deal killer for those in the know.

What a dumbass
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919
Quote:

What a dumbass
Yea last time I checked the one who wins are the ones with more backers, not necessarily the best, the fact that all or most all European and American manufacturers are choosing SAE CCS over the other is a good indication.

Theirs way more to it than just cost and I guarantee theirs more information that your not privy to than just speculating it was a dumb decision based on cost.

Anyway perhaps he's angry because he's invested in the other charging direction vs SAE CCS.......

One thing I do like is the SAE CCS is capable of faster charging than the other, or at least I read that somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Check again, because clearly it has killed i3 Sales for BMW enough for them to whore out the lease deals. Can't drive one to far, and no SAE Combos around, and the REX defeats the entire idea of kissing gas goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea last time I checked the one who wins are the ones with more backers...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Check again, because clearly it has killed i3 Sales for BMW enough for them to whore out the lease deals. Can't drive one to far, and no SAE Combos around, and the REX defeats the entire idea of kissing gas goodbye.

Quote:
Well we don't have any of these chargers anywhere where I live and I'm in Chicago.

Personally I'm glad they went with the one they went with, like others have said seems the better route. And I don't think it's really the issue as this is country wide and we don't even have stage 3 DC chargers in this country other than California.

Anyway not sure everyone cares like you say about this charger stuff as many don't even know it exists and I charge at home. I don't think these chargers have any effect on sales anywhere but maybe your state where these fast chargers even exist. I find the EV market where I live is so full of miss information its ridiculous.

Besides their will be adapters I'm sure so again no big deal. I'd buy the car regardless of charging unit offered as this is not driven more than the miles I need it for anyhow as it's not my primary car and I bought this car to support BMW and their concept, so this argument doesn't affect me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:21 AM   #19
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

As of October 2013, there were 378 CHAdeMO DC quick charging stations across the US Alone, not including Canada.

Now, tons more CHAdeMO DCQC in the 10 major US markets, and counting.

NY
ALT
Texas
Florida
Silicon Valley
Los Angeles County
San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Sacramento Area
Seattle Metro
Hawaiian Islands

Who do they expect to sell most of these car to, if they do not sell to current Nissan Leaf & Tesla owners alike? Sometimes you need further range and a fast charge is the only practical solution. If going Pure Electric [Born Electric~?] BEV is what people mostly want, then its problematic for years to come until the network is finally there. I spoke with a new car manager at a BMW store who said there are installing SAE Combo QC's inside the service garage. That will be great for the stores service and sales departments functionality to be able to better service their BMW-i Customers, or quickly charge new i-Cars that are sold and ready for delivery.

BMW needs to install these new COMBO Plug Fast Chargers out side of all the BMW stores.

You could then just blast into the dealer, charge your car 80% in 20 minutes, while you sit in the lounge.

Being able to travel around quite nicely.

Quote:
Well we don't have any of these chargers anywhere where I live and I'm in Chicago.

Personally I'm glad they went with the one they went with, like others have said seems the better route. And I don't think it's really the issue as this is country wide and we don't even have stage 3 DC chargers in this country other than California.

Anyway not sure everyone cares like you say about this charger stuff as many don't even know it exists and I charge at home. I don't think these chargers have any effect on sales anywhere but maybe your state where these fast chargers even exist. I find the EV market where I live is so full of miss information its ridiculous.

Besides their will be adapters I'm sure so again no big deal. I'd buy the car regardless of charging unit offered as this is not driven more than the miles I need it for anyhow as it's not my primary car and I bought this car to support BMW and their concept, so this argument doesn't affect me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As of October 2013, there were 378 CHAdeMO DC quick charging stations across the US Alone, not including Canada.

Now, tons more CHAdeMO DCQC in the 10 major US markets, and counting.

NY
ALT
Texas
Florida
Silicon Valley
Los Angeles County
San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Sacramento Area
Seattle Metro
Hawaiian Islands

Who do they expect to sell most of these car to, if they do not sell to current Nissan Leaf & Tesla owners alike? Sometimes you need further range and a fast charge is the only practical solution. If going Pure Electric [Born Electric~?] BEV is what people mostly want, then its problematic for years to come until the network is finally there. I spoke with a new car manager at a BMW store who said there are installing SAE Combo QC's inside the service garage. That will be great for the stores service and sales departments functionality to be able to better service their BMW-i Customers, or quickly charge new i-Cars that are sold and ready for delivery.

BMW needs to install these new COMBO Plug Fast Chargers out side of all the BMW stores.

You could then just blast into the dealer, charge your car 80% in 20 minutes, while you sit in the lounge.

Being able to travel around quite nicely.

Quote:

This is true and that would be great but again theirs no plans for it that I have heard of for a long time as the ex spence is great and probably won't be free like the stage 2 are at the moment, and in the years it will take to probably get their I will have traded this car in for a new one and hopefully the range will have increased which would be nice but not counting on it.

Let's hope for the best

The chargers will come but it will take time.

Another thing is many people don't even know of the I3's existence as everyone is interested when they see it. Maybe BMW has to market the car better to sell more who knows.....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #21
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up that people aren't buying i3s because the plug choice won't allow them to drive their commuter car across the country. Naively, I thought electric car sales might drop for all manufacturers because gas prices have dropped 40% or so. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up that people aren't buying i3s because the plug choice won't allow them to drive their commuter car across the country. Naively, I thought electric car sales might drop for all manufacturers because gas prices have dropped 40% or so. Lol.
Artificially low gas prices while it lasts.
I still prefer not to pay 1 dime.

People don't just commute in their cars, they have busy lives and need more than a bloody level 2 brosef.

Appreciate 0