drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

i8 Event in Las Vegas

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'd previously heard of a possible i8 launch event in Vegas this weekend, but haven't been able to find out if it's really happening and if so, what exactly is planned. Anyone have any info about this?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Press Drives and Launch. Media only.
      03-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Press Drives and Launch. Media only.
Thanks Scott26. Can't wait to read the reviews by the car mags later. I assume they'll be driving true production vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I'm also guess it's embargoed since I haven't seen any twitter or news posts about it. Looking forward to the coverage.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A little surprised that I haven't seen one bit of news about the Vegas event that was to have occurred this past weekend. I would have thought between the press drives and launch there would be at least some info coming out by now, even if only through social media channels. If anyone has heard anything, please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
A little surprised that I haven't seen one bit of news about the Vegas event that was to have occurred this past weekend. I would have thought between the press drives and launch there would be at least some info coming out by now, even if only through social media channels. If anyone has heard anything, please let us know.
The event was probably under NDA and has an embargo date where they can start talking about it. It gives print a chance to get their coverage in order so online doesn't make their coverage a month late and redundant. And word from others is that they are going for a "silent launch." So there probably won't be a lot of lingering continuous coverage for months (like you see with the 918), just a quick blast then nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Carac, your explanation makes sense since there continues to be no info coming out about the event. Kind of frustrating for those of us eagerly waiting for any new info to be released about the car. Hopefully, come July, we'll be able to provide our own first hand observations about it. That day can't come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

We do a kind of closed doors evaluation on new models with our global distribution network before the media have their drives.
So that distrubution employees get to drive the car ahead of the media so they have at most the earliest word to sell the product.

But anyway...
Attached Images

03-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We do a kind of closed doors evaluation on new models with our global distribution network before the media have their drives.
So that distrubution employees get to drive the car ahead of the media so they have at most the earliest word to sell the product.

But anyway...
Scott26, now I'm a bit confused as to whether the Vegas event was strictly for the distribution employees or if they were simply given test drives before the media. If the media did participate, and there is a press embargo on the release of info, any idea when such info might be able to be released to the public?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Scott26, now I'm a bit confused as to whether the Vegas event was strictly for the distribution employees or if they were simply given test drives before the media. If the media did participate, and there is a press embargo on the release of info, any idea when such info might be able to be released to the public?
Believe the Vegas was media. My sales guy says he's headed to one of 2 or 3 places for training soon if not right now. I think that what's he's talking about with "distribution network." Either way we should be seeing more soon. Order banks will probably open up as soon as the dealership staff chosen to attend the distribution events return and get their marching orders.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
i8 slowly revealing...in secret, for now

Spoke to a local insider today and apparently a number of the area sales staff from various dealerships went off to a very private BMW session yesterday, where a production i8, in white, was revealed. Only company folks and no press, camera's, etc. The car may have been up near Pomona, at the BMW Training Cntr.
Appreciate 0