BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Keyless Access

I know the i3 has keyless go standard, where you just need the key fob in the car to "start" the thing, but what about lock/unlock? On my X3 you just touch the door handle to lock or unlock the car, and it's one of my favorite features. I had assumed that the i3 had this option, but now I don't see it listed. Can anyone confirm if there is any way to get this functionality on the i3?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Yep, works the same way as on your x3. Keep key in pocket or purse, touch the little grooves on the outside of the handle to lock the doors, or grasp the full handle with your hand to unlock the doors. Another modern, labor-saving miracle!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What package do you need to get that? I've got what seems to be a base-model i3 on an extended test drive from my dealer, and it does not have this feature so it isn't standard. Is it part of a world package?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

The "base" interior does not have the touch and go - so, yes, you have to upgrade to one of the two worlds, Giga or Mega . . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
The "base" interior does not have the touch and go - so, yes, you have to upgrade to one of the two worlds, Giga or Mega . . . .
Ah, very good. Wanted to make sure I didn't get one without it on accident... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

On some BMW models, comfort access is a stand-alone option, but not on the i3, at least at this time-it is only available in one of the 'Worlds' above base model. Note, sometimes, if you factory order a vehicle, it can be ordered with some stand-alone options that a dealer cannot order for one of his stock cars. I did this on my last car - Comfort access was available as a stand alone option, but only if it was custom ordered, not if you bought one from stock. It may be that way on the i3, and this may or may not apply to other markets like in Europe, as options can vary by market.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
-1-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV

I went with the Mega World package for the five star wheels which I really liked and had to have. My i3 is well equipped with the exception of Comfort Access. It includes the touch sensor door handles, HomeLink, Satellite radio, and interior trim. I'm glad I don't have the interior trim, not a big fan, and the other three are great options and almost must haves. I contemplated ordering a i3, but my dealer found exactly what I wanted (color and options) with the exception of Comfort Access. Too many pluses and only one minus and I had my i3 within one week. I specified to my dealer I wanted Satellite radio installed on delivery. It cost $400 which was a fair price. I ordered a small key chain (3 garage door) remote off eBay for $17. My current Prius Plug In has the door sensors as well as my former 2011 Lexus IS. I do miss the convenience , but it's just a re-learning process and I'm getting the hang of using the key fob to lock and unlock. I'm very happy with my i3 and how things worked out.

........Don -1-.........
Ionic Silver i3 BEV
Appreciate 0