02-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Mattattack
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

Getting new 22" Shoes

So...

Getting ready to pick up new wheels

With so many wheel options available, the process tedious to say the least.

My initial thought was to get something really "cool" like HREs.

However, given the fact that I've changed the color of my car twice already, I wanted a more value option so my risk is low when I decide to change the wheels again.

So far, I've narrowed down to 3 choices:

1. Vorsteiner V-FF103Avante Garde M580

2. Savini BM14

3. Avante Garde M580

Any thoughts, feedback or suggestions in a similar style/price point?

Much appreciated in advance

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
Barago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8/ghibli

I honestly like this car with a more solid wheel. Did you also consider 21's?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Mattattack
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbarago View Post

Ive looked at 100s of pics of wheels, and this style seems to be the one that speaks to me the most.

I did consider 21s. The biggest concern for 21s was availability of tires. Ive been told by several "wheel" people that 22"tires are much easier to get than 21s.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogleo View Post
Quote:

Ive looked at 100s of pics of wheels, and this style seems to be the one that speaks to me the most.

I did consider 21s. The biggest concern for 21s was availability of tires. Ive been told by several "wheel" people that 22"tires are much easier to get than 21s.
None sense... I have 21s and it's an excuse to all these wheels shops to sell you 22s

First off who ever tells you can't find 21 tires just either doesn't know how to search and/or pick up the phone and make a call or it's just plain lazy..

FYI this is my second car that I have purchased 21 inch wheels for so I am no newbie to it.

And last but not least the avant m580 all day !!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

I too have struggled with the wheels.

I was going to go for 21's HRE's I was then fortunate to drive another i8 with these wheels with Contential tyres I honestly thought in terms of traction there wasn't a huge difference...a little better though.

Though the i8 wheels are narrow I think the Stock rubber is quite soft. Certainly people are reporting low mileage

HREs were £10k ish so I decided to keep the stock turbines but refinish them.

I honestly think the turbines (esp when moving) are part of the i8 looks. So I have bought a spare set and I am having them diamond cut coloured blue white and black. Cost £2k if you want a lower inspiring weight stripping the powder coat and just painting black will remove 1-2 kg of unsprung weight on 625 turbines

Honestly I think people need to get over that their alloys/tyres are not 14" wide. You bought the wrong sports cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #6
Barago
Private First Class
Rep

I want to agree if I had to pick any of the above: avant m580
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:16 AM   #7
Protonic Red Beast
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Protonic Red i8

I would go for the Vorsteiner VFN series, the VFF is last years series. So that's what i ordered in 22", and they have finally arrived. Also its true that 22" tires are easier to find than 21"s especially if you're getting Pilot Super sports or Perellis. And that is why i went with 22"s as well, i have no time to waste on searching for some damn tires when the time comes to reUp.
      02-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonic Red Beast View Post
I would go for the Vorsteiner VFN series, the VFF is last years series. So that's what i ordered in 22", and they have finally arrived. Also its true that 22" tires are easier to find than 21"s especially if you're getting Pilot Super sports or Perellis. And that is why i went with 22"s as well, i have no time to waste on searching for some damn tires when the time comes to reUp.
VFN is not the VFF replacement. VFF is flow forged. VFN is the forged series that replaced the VFE series, aka $7k and up.
      02-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post

Honestly I think people need to get over that their alloys/tyres are not 14" wide. You bought the wrong sports cars...
Amen to that.

I do drive this car fast - on occasion - and I haven't found much reason to complain about the grip. Certainly not enough to justify shelling out a couple of grand for aftermarket wheels.

And I'm quite happy with the mileage I'm getting. 24'000 km / 15'000 miles on the car and both tire sets (summer, winter) are still nowhere near replacement points. My Cayman S ate rubber at a much faster rate. Not to mention gas ... I think BMW has found quite a good setup for the car, even if it goes against what some people think sports car (or actually, GT car) rubbers should look like.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:

I was going to go for 21's HRE's I was then fortunate to drive another i8 with these wheels with Contential tyres I honestly thought in terms of traction there wasn't a huge difference...a little better though.

Though the i8 wheels are narrow I think the Stock rubber is quite soft. Certainly people are reporting low mileage

HREs were £10k ish so I decided to keep the stock turbines but refinish them.

I honestly think the turbines (esp when moving) are part of the i8 looks. So I have bought a spare set and I am having them diamond cut coloured blue white and black. Cost £2k if you want a lower inspiring weight stripping the powder coat and just painting black will remove 1-2 kg of unsprung weight on 625 turbines

I completly disagree with you, I have 245 on the fronts and 285 on the rears and there is a MASSIVE difference on the grip... (perhaps it was the conti tires on the car you test drove) but to say its not a huge difference its an understatement...

in regards to the turbine wheels, again its your opinion I couldnt wait to take those things off..

The car does need wider tires.. from factory dont get me wrong here it may perform just fine to a large group of buyers (like your self) but IMO the car needed it, More HP 4XX +, better brakes 6 pot and 4 pot, wider wheels, and better electrical range... other then that its a blast to drive !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
... The car does need wider tires.. from factory dont get me wrong here it may perform just fine to a large group of buyers (like your self) but IMO the car needed it, More HP 4XX +, better brakes 6 pot and 4 pot, wider wheels, and better electrical range... other then that its a blast to drive !!!
You're describing an entirely different car. Not that such a car wouldn't be desireable to at least some buyers. But that's M territory with a bit of electric boost thrown in - which I'm sure is coming. But it will be coming in a different package. BMWi is about something that's in a completely different ballpark than M.

That's the whole point behind the separate sub-brand, the stand-out design, the different world of colors and materials (just look at the accessory catalogue), etc. I'm sorry, but screaming for 6 cylinders, fat tires, louder exhaust noise, and all that is fully missing the point of the i8. And IMHO, trying to turn the i8 into a wanna-be M by putting wider tires on it and / or adding aftermarket lips and wings and such stuff can only make something worse and more ordinary that is at the moment quite special.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Quote:
... The car does need wider tires.. from factory dont get me wrong here it may perform just fine to a large group of buyers (like your self) but IMO the car needed it, More HP 4XX +, better brakes 6 pot and 4 pot, wider wheels, and better electrical range... other then that its a blast to drive !!!
You're describing an entirely different car. Not that such a car wouldn't be desireable to at least some buyers. But that's M territory with a bit of electric boost thrown in - which I'm sure is coming. But it will be coming in a different package. BMWi is about something that's in a completely different ballpark than M.

That's the whole point behind the separate sub-brand, the stand-out design, the different world of colors and materials (just look at the accessory catalogue), etc. I'm sorry, but screaming for 6 cylinders, fat tires, louder exhaust noise, and all that is fully missing the point of the i8. And IMHO, trying to turn the i8 into a wanna-be M by putting wider tires on it and / or adding aftermarket lips and wings and such stuff can only make something worse and more ordinary that is at the moment quite special.
How am I describing a whole different car ? My current i8 now has 4xx + hp and that is on the same engine with just a tune. At no point a said the car need it to have 6cl engine or the other items that you are talking about... Also I never said anything about an M car... : or trying to be an M car which FYI most of the suspension parts are M anyways..

I just wanted to make a point (base on my opinion) the weak/no so great aspects of the car.

If you talk to 10 owners here (8 out of 10) will pretty much agree to the following...

The brakes are not up to par (the new face lift will have better brakes).

The car needs wider tires (BMW is releasing the new facelift with them).

Better electric range (the new face lift will have better range).

More hp either from the the electric engine or ice. Going from 362 combined to the 420-460 makes this car a Really fun car (trust me I know the feeling)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Protonic Red Beast
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Protonic Red i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
VFN is not the VFF replacement. VFF is flow forged. VFN is the forged series that replaced the VFE series, aka $7k and up.
Oh ok got it! Thanks for clarifying that.
      02-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #14
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I hate you, now I want wider tyres again lol

Quote:
I completly disagree with you, I have 245 on the fronts and 285 on the rears and there is a MASSIVE difference on the grip... (perhaps it was the conti tires on the car you test drove) but to say its not a huge difference its an understatement...

in regards to the turbine wheels, again its your opinion I couldnt wait to take those things off..

The car does need wider tires.. from factory dont get me wrong here it may perform just fine to a large group of buyers (like your self) but IMO the car needed it, More HP 4XX +, better brakes 6 pot and 4 pot, wider wheels, and better electrical range... other then that its a blast to drive !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Lol do it !!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #16
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Lol do it !!
Im not consistent, but I'm always right
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
Barago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Damn me too
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #18
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Im not consistent, but I'm always right
Quote:
Damn me too
an unexpensive choice in 21 that I almost went with is the TWS Bathurst 21x9 and 21x10 $3,800-$4K rims & tires... with Pirelli 245 and 285
Appreciate 0