02-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

thinking of getting an I8

Hi,

Potential newbie LOVE the drive, sorry it you keep getting asked the same Q's but unless I manage to find an insurance <£800 I'll be sticking with my 4 series as I'm certainly not willing to pay £2700 with £1200 excess !

The only other slight concern is will I get blocked in car parks ( from wing mirrors ) when people are too close as with Uk car parks spaces are not very wide. Does this sort of thing happen regular as if so I should imagine this will be become very frustrating riding round car park trying to find cars with wing mirrors in to be able to park next to.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Try Matthew at Henderson Taylor insurance. £1k a year for me.

Re doors you should be fine. 50cm either side is all you need. And less than a conventional car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

About £350 for 15k miles, 5k business, car on driveway, with Aviva Multicar. Needed a tracker, which fortunately the car already had so an extra £133 a year for that (bought 3 years upfront).

The comparison sites were crap. And if I said no tracker, cheapest was about £900.

And I'm 46, 39 year old wife on policy too. No claims or speeding tickets and have other cars in the household.

I can open doors more easily i.e. in a narrower space than I could with my last car (Evora). It's no worse than any coupe. Previous owner said he had to climb in through the window once!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:30 AM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I tested this with other's cars as well as our . You need 55 cm to safely open the doors ,of course you may not measure this distance when you are in the car . My tip is don't park the car that is not aligned within parking lines when this happens and, whose door mirrors unfolded ,you may not open your door , it may bang at the door mirror cover that's next to you
      02-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #5
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Hi there, as I posted on the insurance post, £471 quoted for me, 8000 miles a year including business use on a brand new i8. I'm 45 live in rural Leicestershire, will keep the car garaged and have a clean record with 8 years no claims.

No tracker needed and new for old cover until the car is two years old, so no need for gap insurance either.

NFU Mutual, give your local office a call....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi I called them today I'm 47 15 years no claims, no points, car will be garaged 8000 miles live in Durham £1300 !!!!!!! ARGH must be cos I'm female and they know we can't park ARGH !!!!!! Tried another two wouldn't insure me due to cost of car £75k and another one was £1200 with a tracker
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I tested this with other's cars as well as our . You need 55 cm to safely open the doors ,of course you may not measure this distance when you are in the car . My tip is don't park the car that is not aligned within parking lines when this happens and, whose door mirrors unfolded ,you may not open your door , it may bang at the door mirror cover that's next to you
There may be times where 55 cm clear isn't possible. Do you have an idea of what the minimum clearance needs to be in order to enter the vehicle, even if it means a little more contortion of one's body?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoc View Post
Hi I called them today I'm 47 15 years no claims, no points, car will be garaged 8000 miles live in Durham £1300 !!!!!!! ARGH must be cos I'm female and they know we can't park ARGH !!!!!! Tried another two wouldn't insure me due to cost of car £75k and another one was £1200 with a tracker
Car insurance can appear so random. Must just be the postcode, are you actually in the city? shouldnt be your sex insurance companies arent allowed to differentiate these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:34 AM   #9
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
There may be times where 55 cm clear isn't possible. Do you have an idea of what the minimum clearance needs to be in order to enter the vehicle, even if it means a little more contortion of one's body?
I haven't precisely tested that but my assumption is that I can enter the vehicle even when the doors aren't fully open , just above halfway less than 3/4 is enough but I have to further bend myself to enter the vehicle .
      02-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I haven't precisely tested that but my assumption is that I can enter the vehicle even when the doors aren't fully open , just above halfway less than 3/4 is enough but I have to further bend myself to enter the vehicle .
Yes, you can squeeze in under the door as long as it opens about half-way or so, e.g. when just one or two cm of space are missing or you're coming up under someone else's mirror. Just don't let people watch you when you do that. Massively reduces the cool factor. ;-)

Oh, and it depends a little bit on your body shape and flexibility as well, of course. But I've had to squeeze into my Porsche numreous times, and actually found that to be harder. The doors are so long that you need to do the splits trying to get the first foot into the footwell. Tore a pair of pants that way. i8 is easier, if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Insurance is very weird in my experience.

When I bought the car (Dec 15) quotes were £800pa, £250 excess - no tracker. I swapped my previous insurance over (admiral) for £50.

8 months later (Aug 16), Admiral renewal was £4K (no typo, that's £4K). The cheapest quote I could get on gocompare was £1300 with £1500 excess (Onecall) - which I went for. Oddly, running quotes for my previous car (R8) were still circa £800. So something must have happened to the i8 insurance market.

However..... just out of interest, I recently ran a quote on gocompare for the i8 and fook a duck, got quotes of £800pa with £250 excess with...... Admiral!

Onecall's early cancellation charges are so punitive that I have to stick it out until Aug 17. :-/

Weird?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoc View Post
unless I manage to find an insurance <£800 I'll be sticking with my 4 series as I'm certainly not willing to pay £2700 with £1200 excess !

My i8 is £363 per annum for me.

Incredibly cheap car to insure
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #13
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
My i8 is £363 per annum for me.

Incredibly cheap car to insure
Jas - Which insurer? I need to renew in a few weeks so would be good to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #15
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
BMW
He's not telling you about the limited mileage on his policy!!!

My Aviva policy is about the same price and for 15k miles. With my mileage BMW were double.

Aviva and NFU look like the favourites at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #16
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB_UK View Post
He's not telling you about the limited mileage on his policy!!!

My Aviva policy is about the same price and for 15k miles. With my mileage BMW were double.

Aviva and NFU look like the favourites at the moment.
Since the i8 is a daily driver I need to insure for 8k mikes. I will be getting quotes towards the end of the month so I will report back on which insurer provided best value.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah ok. My Lotus and i8 and i3 are all limited mileage policies. And I own another car which is not limited. Hence works for me.

I agree it probably won't work for an i8 as a daily driver.

Sounds like Steve's Aviva policy is the way to go if you need more miles then.
Appreciate 0