BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Do your doors raise all the way up unassisted?

When I open my doors they don't go fully up and need pushing up the last 10" or so.

I took the car to the dealer. They confirmed with the dealer whom performed the first service that the hinge struts were changed at the first service. They agreed that the doors should raise all the way unassisted and have fitted some new, stiffer struts. But these don't lift the doors all the way up either. And have the disadvantage that they are stiffer to use.

The showroom car's doors rise all the way up without assistance - how are your doors?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB_UK View Post
When I open my doors they don't go fully up and need pushing up the last 10" or so.

I took the car to the dealer. They confirmed with the dealer whom performed the first service that the hinge struts were changed at the first service. They agreed that the doors should raise all the way unassisted and have fitted some new, stiffer struts. But these don't lift the doors all the way up either. And have the disadvantage that they are stiffer to use.

The showroom car's doors rise all the way up without assistance - how are your doors?
No problems here, they rise all the way up
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Mine lift maybe an inch short at the moment (certainly not 10"). I'm attributing that to cold weather. The rear decklid on my Cayman S, which I had previously, would do the same thing.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Mine go up all the way, it more so closing that if I don't close hard enough the door stays open.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
SlipperyGary
Private
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Mine stop about an inch or so shy of all the way up.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

My car told me (via an email from my Service Dealer) that it was time for service.

"Please contact us today to set up an appointment for the following service(s):
• Engine oil
• Microfilter
• door hinge Service"

I'm guessing they are replacing all struts as the cars come in for service.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Mine didn't go all the way up unassisted when I got my car 4 months ago. Got the struts changed out with new ones under warranty last month and they still don't go all the way up. I've learned to live with it.

First world problems...

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 02-11-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I have to push mine up the last inch or so.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2017, 02:04 AM   #9
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
All the way up -Fat Joe
Attached Images

02-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #10
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks everyone.

I was told that they changed the struts by default on all 2014 cars as they came in for service FoC.

Mine were apparently done but they said that they have some stiffer hinges that can be used - probably for cars like mine where, for whatever reason, the doors don't raise all the way up.

Shame the stiffer ones at no better. I suspect something else is stopping the last 8-10" of movement (measured from the door handle). Perhaps the actual hinge needs servicing or the loom isn't quite free enough and resists the last part of the movement.

On the plus side it gives me a reason to take the car back and have an M2 as a loan car. They had promised me that for yesterday but made some balls up with car storage as hey moved loads of cars off site for some 5 series launch party event. I had a 420d instead. Quite impressed and preferred it to the M4 I had last time!!! A 435d would make a very nice car I'm thinking.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I was told that they changed the struts by default on all 2014 cars as they came in for service FoC.

Mine were apparently done but they said that they have some stiffer hinges that can be used - probably for cars like mine where, for whatever reason, the doors don't raise all the way up.

Shame the stiffer ones at no better. I suspect something else is stopping the last 8-10" of movement (measured from the door handle). Perhaps the actual hinge needs servicing or the loom isn't quite free enough and resists the last part of the movement.

On the plus side it gives me a reason to take the car back and have an M2 as a loan car. They had promised me that for yesterday but made some balls up with car storage as hey moved loads of cars off site for some 5 series launch party event. I had a 420d instead. Quite impressed and preferred it to the M4 I had last time!!! A 435d would make a very nice car I'm thinking.
M2 loaner? You fancy
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #12
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

M2 loaner? You fancy
Good car for the wife
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

The struts on mine stopped an inch short on the driver's side before both struts were replaced during a scheduled service maintenance, which included oil, microfilter, door hinge and an overnight software update.

SteveB_UK, not to go off topic but I'm impressed that your dealership offers M cars for loaners. Unfortunately, my dealer is less than generous in that department. They usually offer me the option of selecting a normally aspirated 3, 4 or 5 series vehicle. However, I can't complain. My Mercedes dealership either offers their scarcely stocked and hardly available C class or the vastly large and cringeworthy fleet of sub-compact and compact Enterprise rental vehicles.

Last edited by YWGT3; 02-12-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
The struts on mine stopped an inch short on the driver's side before both struts were replaced during a scheduled service maintenance, which included oil, microfilter, door hinge and an overnight software update.

SteveB_UK, not to go off topic but I'm impressed that your dealership offers M cars for loaners. Unfortunately, my dealer is less than generous in that department. They usually offer me the option of selecting a normally aspirated 3, 4 or 5 series vehicle. However, I can't complain. My Mercedes dealership either offers their scarcely stocked and hardly available C class or the vastly large and cringe worthy fleet of sub-compact and compact Enterprise rental vehicles.
If you have got an issue that you know is warranty go through BMW assist. I have had a X5M and another i8 as loaners. They use a prestige hire company in Hampshire I believe. They drive to you and then the driver trains it home.

Only i8, 7 series, M5 and M6s, X5M and X6M I believe fall as prestige. I was also told that any repair to a 7 series or i8 must be approved through Germany.

I had a issue of drive train fault,caused by battery drain that they blamed on my BlackVue camera. It has is own battery pack and is isolated from the battery when ignition is off and my tracker has battery telemetry so I could prove it was nothing to do with this.

Why I'm telling you this is cause they tried to make me liable for all the costs. But a strut which is clear warranty failure go through BMW assist. Tell them it's too inconvenient for you to visit a dealer. Take advantage of your halo status!!

Last edited by Mightymousemighty; 02-11-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Mine have always opened fully unassisted.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #16
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post

SteveB_UK, not to go off topic but I'm impressed that your dealership offers M cars for loaners. Unfortunately, my dealer is less than generous in that department. They usually offer me the option of selecting a normally aspirated 3, 4 or 5 series vehicle. However, I can't complain. My Mercedes dealership either offers their scarcely stocked and hardly available C class or the vastly large and cringe worthy fleet of sub-compact and compact Enterprise rental vehicles.
If you have got an issue that you know is warranty go through BMW assist. I have had a X5M and another i8 as loaners. They use a prestige hire company in Hampshire I believe. They drive to you and then the driver trains it home.

Only i8, 7 series, M5 and M6s, X5M and X6M I believe fall as prestige. I was also told that any repair to a 7 series or i8 must be approved through Germany.

I had a issue of drive train fault,caused by battery drain that they blamed on my BlackVue camera. It has is own battery pack and is isolated from the battery when ignition is off and my tracker has battery telemetry so I could prove it was nothing to do with this.

Why I'm telling you this is cause they tried to make me liable for all the costs. But a strut which is clear warranty failure go through BMW assist. Tell them it's too inconvenient for you to visit a dealer. Take advantage of your halo status!!
Thanks for the tip!!! I quite like going through my dealer but well worth knowing about.

I guess the danger, like you faced, is getting them involved and it not being covered by warranty and being stiffed for the bill.

Worth a look when you definitely know it's warranty or for a recurring fault already looked at by warranty.

Checked today and my passenger door is ok but the driver's one needs sorting so I'll insist on the M2 as it's much better to have one for the day than go through the pain of a test drive with a salesman!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:38 AM   #17
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Mine go score errrr open unassisted but I have to use some powerrrrr to get it to lift up after pressing the rectangular door button .
      02-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #18
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!!! I quite like going through my dealer but well worth knowing about.

I guess the danger, like you faced, is getting them involved and it not being covered by warranty and being stiffed for the bill.

Worth a look when you definitely know it's warranty or for a recurring fault already looked at by warranty.

Checked today and my passenger door is ok but the driver's one needs sorting so I'll insist on the M2 as it's much better to have one for the day than go through the pain of a test drive with a salesman!!
In my own humble opinion, the days of a dealer relationship is gone..well with one exception which is Tesla in the U.K. But their business model is very niche!!

Was quite funny when I said I could prove, then did prove they were wrong...especially when I gave them an invoice for my wasted time dealing with it!!!! "So why don't we just settle this little issue and we will call it quits"

Play hardball, be a dick, u know u want to!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Has my reputation for giving dealers a hard time made it through to you ?

I'll be getting the hinge sorted this week but as the service staff are all very good at customer service (not something I've seen from local Audi, Merc and Lotus dealers) and the sales manager is a mate of a mate I'll be nice to them!!
Appreciate 0