10-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post Next gen i8 could be smaller

Just speculating

The i8 is rather large and is particularly wide.

I was thinking that given battery energy density advances, it should be possible for the next gen i8 to be shorter, and also slightly narrower. Making it even lighter, more nimble and a pure 2 seater.

I do like and make use of the rear seats, but I am aware that I am in the minority.

This old article has some interesting observations: https://blog.caranddriver.com/all-ab...entire-design/

The coupe does look right visually though, unlike the slightly too long (at the rear) roadster.

Also notable is that the current i8 can have 36% more electric power from the front motor, but at the expense of battery longevity.

In comparison, Tesla uses full power in Ludicrous mode, seriously reducing battery life.

This also means that with data from the current i8, BMW might well unlock more of the battery's power for future models. There is no incentive for them to do this for current cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Let?s hope it?s a software limitation on power and not cabling, and a later software release could give a power increase for those accepting reduced battery life and any warranty implications.

I want both a power increase and the same range - which could be achieved by only releasing more electric power in sport mode on full throttle. Otherwise the normal power is used.

I?m still hoping for the option to drop out the current battery pack and replace with the roadster pack assuming it is still installed in the same aluminium casing and that it does have higher capacity.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
edpm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8, 2021 X5 M50i, 1995 M3

I don't think you are in the minority for using your back seats. I use my back seats all the time. Just not for people.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Just speculating

The i8 is rather large and is particularly wide.

I was thinking that given battery energy density advances, it should be possible for the next gen i8 to be shorter, and also slightly narrower. Making it even lighter, more nimble and a pure 2 seater.

I do like and make use of the rear seats, but I am aware that I am in the minority.

This old article has some interesting observations: https://blog.caranddriver.com/all-ab...entire-design/

The coupe does look right visually though, unlike the slightly too long (at the rear) roadster.

Also notable is that the current i8 can have 36% more electric power from the front motor, but at the expense of battery longevity.

In comparison, Tesla uses full power in Ludicrous mode, seriously reducing battery life.

This also means that with data from the current i8, BMW might well unlock more of the battery's power for future models. There is no incentive for them to do this for current cars.

You've just made a Lotus Exige---the i8 has great presence as it is, making it smaller would disrupt the art of the car IMO.....
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      10-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
You've just made a Lotus Exige---the i8 has great presence as it is, making it smaller would disrupt the art of the car IMO.....
The Exige is a LOT smaller, so not really.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB_UK View Post

I?m still hoping for the option to drop out the current battery pack and replace with the roadster pack assuming it is still installed in the same aluminium casing and that it does have higher capacity.
Technically, it should be possible as they are the same size pack, dictated by the carbon cell around the battery. And the pack is easy to remove and swap out.

However, I am not so sure BMW will offer a swap as an option. And there is also a question whether any control electronics might need changing, as the new car has some differences.

Either way, in performance terms it would be uneconomic to upgrade in this way. Tiny gains for a lot of money IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpm3 View Post
I don't think you are in the minority for using your back seats. I use my back seats all the time. Just not for people.
I agree, I use them all the time to carry various things. The back seat space also allows the front seat to go back further therefore accommodating my 6'7" frame. The lack of a rear seat may be a deal killer for me as I consider the NSX.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfiv3 View Post
I agree, I use them all the time to carry various things. The back seat space also allows the front seat to go back further therefore accommodating my 6'7" frame. The lack of a rear seat may be a deal killer for me as I consider the NSX.
I felt that the seat moves back in the Roadster the same amount as in the coupe. However, I also felt that the Roadster seat did not recline as far.

There was an unused 2" of "recline space" though, so this could easily be fixed in the production model.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
The Exige is a LOT smaller, so not really.
still would lose a lot by being smaller, the designers knew what they were doing---(and the back seats are totally useable now)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep

I hope they stop making it
      10-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
I hope they stop making it
I was just reading in a german car magazine that Production stops 2020 a new i8 full electric comes 2021. But they didn?t publish the source.

Link: http://m.bild.de/bild-plus/auto/auto...ildMobile.html
Appreciate 1
jcpca356164.00
      10-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
I was just reading in a german car magazine that Production stops 2020 a new i8 full electric comes 2021. But they didn?t publish the source.

Link: http://m.bild.de/bild-plus/auto/auto...ildMobile.html
I'm not a paying customer, so I can read only the teaser blurb. They say BMW "paid dearly" for their BMWi adventure, because they haven't made money off it. I disagree. BMW is the only incumbent manufacturer who has stepped into the world of alternative propulsion with two major changes on top of the drive train itself: a sub-brand and a totally different design language. Most have done one (Renault Twizzy) or none (VW e-Golf, Mercedes hybrids, etc). IMHO, BMW has shouted much louder than the others "We're going to be drivers, not passengers!", and that will pay off.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW's investment in i Division was never meant to pay off on sales of the i cars. It was always meant to be a test-bed for technologies they could develop and then use in volume in series cars.

Having said that, BMW did seem to get cold feet part-way through their project, but seem on track now.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #14
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I went to sit in a NSX today, and being a tall guy I can't get my feet on the pedals (knees won't fit under the dash).

So here's hoping the next i8, especially the spyder, is as roomy as the current i8. And a little faster wouldn't hurt!

Appreciate 0