05-26-2023, 04:01 AM   #23
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs21 View Post
Hi, I've got the exact same problem with my BMWi8. I drove it in sports mode till 9 miles available but plugged in when I got home to find same massage "mains power to low to charge" I have bought a new charger & same issue. Took to neighbours house to charge same issue so not my electricity supply or charger. Please has anyone else got any idea's to help.
Many Thanks in advance.
Sorry to up a old post, but I think this is worth to know:

"Mains Power Too Low" is a common error message at various "early phase" PHEV BMW's from i3 to the 330e, 530e, 740e. Basically so called "KLE-unit" has gone bad meaning the car cannot be charged via the charging port. Only via internal combustion engine.

Symptoms will gradually evolve: Sometimes car will start to charge when unplugged and plugged back, sometimes the start of charging will take longer than normal as the KLE-unit is responsible to "shake hands" with the external charging station. If the owner is observant he / she will spot this, most wont. They only sees the issue when the KLE unit is "kaputt" and car wont accept charging.

Total cost to replace the KLE unit in Main Dealer in Europe is around 2000-3000 euros.

Do a Google search, this is a known issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:42 AM   #24
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Helpful post.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 05:51 PM   #25
Spss
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL1984 View Post
Hi everyone, newbie here so would love some insight on my 2015, 13,000 miles i8 issue.

Apologies the the length of this.. here's a quick run through.

Car has been idle on drive for 6 or so weeks (lock down in UK) Not on charge though as I wasn't using it.

Received an email from 'connected drive' at BMW on June 5th advising if the vehicle has been left for a prolonged period to charge it.

I went to charge it and yep, doesn't charge anymore.

I get the error "mains power too low" and just a spinning disc on the dash (pictures attached, apologies for the dust!).

I spoke to BMW assist who advised I drive to a service station where they have chargers with a higher voltage output so see if this jump starts the charging procedure.. did that it still wouldn't charge.

Strange thing is in sport mode the battery charges up absolutely fine.. its currently up to 11 miles of electric range but it still will not charge from the mains or a service station.

Has anybody else had this issue or have any experience with BMW when battery/charging issues arise?

I am booked in for July 1st (earliest they could do) and I'm hoping this will come under the battery warranty as the 3 year warranty has lapsed.

I'm sure they will try and say the charger isn't the battery but I would say they are intrinsically connected.. so i'm hoping the fact BMW emailed advising to charge after a prolonged period of being idle, would mean they're aware of potential issues and hopefully its covered.

Really appreciate any feedback or advice, if anyone has questions please let me know.
Hey, what was the outcome on this issue to resolve? I am having the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 05:56 PM   #26
Spss
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs21 View Post
Hi, I've got the exact same problem with my BMWi8. I drove it in sports mode till 9 miles available but plugged in when I got home to find same massage "mains power to low to charge" I have bought a new charger & same issue. Took to neighbours house to charge same issue so not my electricity supply or charger. Please has anyone else got any idea's to help.
Many Thanks in advance.
Hello,
I am having same problem with my i8. Can you advise how this issue was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:46 AM   #27
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazim Karim View Post
Hello,
I am having same problem with my i8. Can you advise how this issue was resolved.
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...2&postcount=23
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:45 AM   #28
Spss
Registered
Rep

Hi, does the 2019 BMW i8 comes with a separate KLE or is it within the EME.

My vehicle is doing only 3000Km and I am hoping it is not the EME. Could it be the Control module LIM inter module?
Appreciate 0