08-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
BMWCAT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, F90

Leasing an i3 in california...

Hi guys, I had been searching but I'm not sure how the things work

I constantly travel between Washington and California, and I've been eyeballing on the lease on i3, which the incentives make sense for me to have the car there to drive while I'm over there. But here is the thing, I'm not sure how is it going to work out as I'm a WA resident (and currently have another lease with BMWFS in WA state) It's kind of stupid and I don't think its legal to have a car there but registered with WA plate... How would I go about registering the car in CA, operate in CA even though I'm non resident there?

1. I used to be in California but moved out five years ago. Yet my cellphone area code, bank account... etc are all still based in California

2. Car will be garaged and registered at my relative's place in California, but of course due to being related to them, there were never any rents or utilities on me whenever I visit.

3. Would BMW FS allow me to have lease account but based on two address?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
      08-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCAT View Post
Hi guys, I had been searching but I'm not sure how the things work

I constantly travel between Washington and California, and I've been eyeballing on the lease on i3, which the incentives make sense for me to have the car there to drive while I'm over there. But here is the thing, I'm not sure how is it going to work out as I'm a WA resident (and currently have another lease with BMWFS in WA state) It's kind of stupid and I don't think its legal to have a car there but registered with WA plate...
How would I go about registering the car in CA, operate in CA even though I'm non resident there?
You usually register the car (and BMW FS account) in the state that had issued your drivers license.

If you own real estate properties in more than one state, you can usually pick whichever one works best for you from legal and tax perspective.
Alternatively, you can have a business that is registered in another state and have the car leased through that business. Not sure if that will void access to the Cali state incentives, or not.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 08-16-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0