09-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
i3 Nixie Tube Clock (Mod)

The i3 is pretty cool in a nerdy kind of way. Nixie tubes are pretty cool in a nerdy kind of way... combine them!

Introducing... Nixie Clock i3 Mod

The clock I bought has RGB led's to let me choose a color. I haven't dialed it into the same color as the BMW Amber yet but I could.

This is with RED led's fully On. I kind of like this and may stick with red color.

The power adapter I bought has a button so I can switch the clock on and off if I want. The power socket under the dash was particularly useful for this mod. Not sure how many people know that's even under there.

I ran the wires around the dash trim and tucked them beneath the plastics and leather, very discreet and looks clean.

The power in the i3 stays on for a few minutes after the shut off and lock the car. So the clock stays on looking bad ass while you walk away. When you unlock the car the power is restored and clock picks up as normal. I had to make sure to get a nixie tube clock that would remember the settings after power shutdown. Most of the clocks I saw had a battery backup only for the time.

Does It Work in the Day?
No, not really. There is a light sensor on the clock that dims so its not too bright at night. But the clock I bought isn't bright enough to see clearly in broad daylight. Most the clocks I saw don't have a light sensor but I think its an important requirement for being in car.

But Why?
Because I like to drive with the screen off at night and I still want to know what time it is. And Yes I do know the clock can also be enabled on the gauge screen... but I like driving with the extra details hidden too.

What Does it Cost?
Clock cost me $180 + shipping on ebay. I bought a switchable cigarette lighter adapter for $7 on Amazon.

My clock has IN-14 Tubs (recommend IN-14... the IN-18 are too big in this application and IN-16 would be too small), GPS time, RGB Lights, IR Remote Control, Battery Memory, Light Sensor, and a Speaker that makes an annoying sound on power up. No way I found to disable the sound without unsoldering the speaker. This clock fits perfectly behind the iDrive screen on the little shelf without blocking the windshield visibility.

If you want one, this is the guy I bought my clock from on eBay

Last edited by TimeFor; 09-17-2016 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0