Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

how fast does battery drain when REX kicks in?

US spec defaults to kick in REX when battery is down to 5%, right? And the 1.9 gallons last for 66 miles? So does battery drain down to 0% at the end of those 66 miles(from 114 miles to 180 miles)?

My assumption is that 66 miles are on highway, how about city driving?

So if HSOC is recoded to 75%, can the range be extended to extra 990 miles with refueling every 66 miles?

Or after a full charge to 100%, and with REX manually enabled(recode to add that option?) can the range be extended to 1320 miles with refueling every 66 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
US spec defaults to kick in REX when battery is down to 5%, right? And the 1.9 gallons last for 66 miles? So does battery drain down to 0% at the end of those 66 miles(from 114 miles to 180 miles)?

So if HSOC is recoded to 75%, can the range be extended to extra 990 miles with refueling every 66 miles?

Or after a full charge to 100%, and with REX manually enabled(recode to add that option?) can the range be extended to 1320 miles with refueling every 66 miles.

I have a 2015 and the battery can drain faster than the REx can keep up, it all depends on the driving conditions. However, i've actually experienced the electric range go up with the REx on in Eco+ Mode in stop and go traffic. It's about even when cruising at 65-70mph in Eco Mode. In comfort at 75-80mph, it will slowly drain the battery. I hear the 2017 i3's REx is much more capable than the older ones at keeping SOC.

With HSOC I think you could potentially go on forever so long as you keep filling up, provided you aren't going uphill, and keep it under 75ish.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Thanks for the info. So in Eco+ Mode stop-and-go, REX can slowly bring charge back to 100%?

HSOC is good stuff. If BMW can come up with EV range of 200 miles, and REX to 300-350 miles(and curb weight 3500lb, 0-60 6 seconds), such a product will counter Model 3 quite well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So in Eco+ Mode stop-and-go, REX can slowly bring charge back to 100%?
It would take a long time, but I guess that might be possible. I saw an increase in 3 miles range on a 30 mile drive.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
US spec defaults to kick in REX when battery is down to 5%, right? And the 1.9 gallons last for 66 miles?
6% battery SOC (state of charge) is the default REX engagement level.
REX will kick in, and run as long as there is gas in the tank. Which may be more or fewer than 66 miles, depending on how you drive.

BTW, the gas tank is actually 2.4 gallons (9 liters), artificially restricted by BMW to 1.9 gallons on older 60Ah REX, and un-restricted on the new 94Ah REX's. You can easily code to get access to the full 2.4 gallons on the older cars.

If you are on the road, figure 40-70 miles on gas tank, depending on many variables. REX will run to maintain your battery SOC % up to the REX engagement level. The rate of battery consumption from your driving will dictate how many miles that will provide.

Quote:
Driving range can be infinite, if you don't mind stopping to refuel after you run out of 2.4 gallons of gas in the tank.
Or, on average, once every 1.5 hours. Assuming gas station can be found right there and then.

When I still had REX, I would turn it ON at 75% (earliest possible), drain the gas tank down, then drive on battery until I found the next nearest gas station. Refuel, repeat as necessary.
The longest I had driven was ~310 miles on way, which required 4 refueling stops.

That sucked.
A lot.
Both because of refueling interruptions and gas station worries, and because i3 is a crappy highway vehicle.

I learned the lesson, started riving M3 for higher trips, ditched REX and leased BEV as exclusively a local commuter vehicle.
YMMV.

Quote:
So does battery drain down to 0% at the end of those 66 miles(from 114 miles to 180 miles)?
No.
REX will keep it at around 6%, or whatever engagement point you had manually selected.

It is possible to go uphill at 80+mph and drain battery faster than REX can charge it, but you will learn to avoid doing that. If drained down to 2% SOC, i3 will start slowing way down (to ~50 mph, IIRC), turning you into a moving obstacle. If you drain the battery down to 0%, car will loose all power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride
It would take a long time, but I guess that might be possible.
No, that's NOT possible.
REX only charges the battery upto the level of when it was engaged.
With coding, that means at whatever SOC (state of charge) point you hard turned REX ON. Without coding, it's upto 6% battery SOC level.

Once that level is reached, REX will turn OFF (or start turning off, as it may idle for a bit to cool down).
It is still possible to charge the battery further by going down a long hill, but at the end of that hill, you will drain the battery back to the previous REX engagement SOC % level, and it will kick back ON.

The above describes REX behavior relative to the battery SOC level.
The range estimation number can vary, up and down, a LOT.
Range estimation depends entirely on your recent battery consumption patterns, the speed, the terrain, and the driving mode. Which is why the "estimated range" goes up when you coast, and declines when you go uphill or accelerate for any length of time.

SOC % is real.
"Estiamted range" is just that, an estimation.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 08-18-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
US spec defaults to kick in REX when battery is down to 5%, right? And the 1.9 gallons last for 66 miles?
6% battery SOC (state of charge) is the default REX engagement level.
REX will kick in, and run as long as there is gas in the tank. Which may be more or fewer than 66 miles, depending on how you drive.

BTW, the gas tank is actually 2.4 gallons (9 liters), artificially restricted by BMW to 1.9 gallons on older 60Ah REX, and un-restricted on the new 94Ah REX's. You can easily code to get access to the full 2.4 gallons on the older cars.

If you are on the road, figure 40-70 miles on gas tank, depending on many variables. REX will run to maintain your battery SOC % up to the REX engagement level. The rate of battery consumption from your driving will dictate how many miles that will provide.

Quote:
Driving range can be infinite, if you don't mind stopping to refuel after you run out of 2.4 gallons of gas in the tank.
Or, on average, once every 1.5 hours.

When I still had REX, I would turn it ON at 75% (earliest possible), drain the gas tank down, then drive on battery until I found the next nearest gas station. Refuel, repeat as necessary.
The longest I had driven was ~310 miles, which required 4 refueling stops.

That sucked.
A lot.
Both because of refueling interruptions, and because i3 is a crappy highway vehicle.
YMMV.

Quote:
So does battery drain down to 0% at the end of those 66 miles(from 114 miles to 180 miles)?
No.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride
It would take a long time, but I guess that might be possible.
No, that's NOT possible.
REX only charges the battery upto the level of when it was engaged.
With coding, that means at whatever SOC (state of charge) point you hard turned REX ON. Without coding, it's upto 6% battery SOC level.

Once that level is reached, REX will turn OFF.
It is still possible to charge the battery further by going down a long hill, but at the end of that hill, you will drain the battery back to the previous REX engagement SOC % level, and it will kick back ON.

The above describes REX behavior vs. battery SOC level.
The range estimation can vary, up and down, a LOT. It all depends on your recent battery consumption patterns, the speed, the terrain, and the driving mode. Which is why the "estimated range" go up when you go downhill or coast, and declines when you go uphill for any length of time.

SOC % is real.
"Estiamted range" is just that, an estimation.

a
I've personally seen my battery range go up on a 40 mile commute while I manually engage REx in stop and go in good driving conditions. Are you saying my actual state of charge was actually the same? I need to check my battery % next time I guess.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've personally seen my battery range go up on a 40 mile commute while I manually engage REx in stop and go in good driving conditions. Are you saying my actual state of charge was actually the same? I need to check my battery % next time I guess.
Range is bullshit.
Apologies for being blunt.

I can let my wife drive for first 50% of the battery, get in the car with an estimated range of 50 miles, then drive for the next 20 miles and watch the Range estimate # go up, and up, and up. All because I feather the throttle, and she smashes it with conviction (can't do that in an M3, else you wont be going straight for long ;-).

Quote:
Are you saying my actual state of charge was actually the same? I need to check my battery % next time I guess.
Your SOC can go down, while your range # goes up!!!
Just change from "Comfort" to "Eco+" mode to observe.

The battery SOC % is real, and is the truth.

You can make SOC % go up, slightly, when you go downhill and recharge the battery from regenerative braking. But the most I ever "recharged" was ~3% on a long downhill.

Eventually, both SOC and Range will converge at 0.0, but that's not what you want to achieve on a highway...

a

Last edited by afadeev; 08-18-2017 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Range is bullshit.
Apologies for being blunt.

I can let my wife drive for first 50% of the battery, get in the car with ab estimated range of 50 miles, then drive for the next 20 miles and watch the Range estimate # go up, and up, and up. All because I feather the throttle, and she smashes it with conviction (can't do that in an M3, else you wont be going straight for long ;-).

Your SOC can go down, while your range # goes up!!!
Just change from "Comfort" to "Eco+" mode to observe.

The battery SOC % is real, and is the truth.

You can make SOC % go up, slightly, when you go downhill and recharge the battery from regenerative braking. But the most I ever "recharged" was ~3% on a long downhill.

Eventually, both SOC and Range will converge at 0.0, but that's not what you want to achieve on a highway...

a

gotcha, thanks for the clear up. Another M3/i3 driver I see! So far, they make a great combo!

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
gotcha, thanks for the clear up. Another M3/i3 driver I see! So far, they make a great combo!
Yep, ///Mi3 all the way!

Until late next year, when it will likely become ///M3-model3.

a
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, ///Mi3 all the way!

Until late next year, when it will likely become ///M3-model3.

a
I'll be looking for a new EV around this time next year as well. Did you put a deposit on the 3 yet?

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll be looking for a new EV around this time next year as well. Did you put a deposit on the 3 yet?
Yes, I did, about this time last year, or whenever Tesla starting taking deposits.
No idea where I am in line, but clearly not he first.

Tesla's website now shows you an estimation window for when your car might be built based on features availability and your place in line. My Double-motor (4WD) large battery Model 3 window is September-November of 2018. If I went with single engine configuration, it would be March-May'18.

The 4Q'18 date is actually good with me, since my i3 lease is due to run out in March'19. If I drag things out a bit with Tesla (or if Tesla has production delays), the timing of the swap will line up just right.

a
Appreciate 0