05-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #23
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFargo13
I wish a car company besides Tesla would make a nice looking electric vehicle. I wonder how many people would buy an electric if they weren't all so ugly.
TESLA = YAWN!!

their interior is probably one of the worst designed in its class, let's plop a giant screen in the middle of the dash, a giant square amongst organic and technical shapes. And No center council or a poor excuse for one so it looks like something is missing all you see is the seat rails. Was not impressed. They made it ordinary because it had to be to sell, if they took a more risky approach they would fail because a startup company can't make a love it or hate it design.

So they go the safe route to appeal to the mass market

Took one for a test drive, yea it was quick and had some nice wiz bang cool gadgets, but all in all it appeals to its target audience but is a total snooze fest...

The monitor in the middle could have been done so much nicer if it wasn't a huge square. Such a lost opportunity.
Seams their concepts remedy that at least.

Though it's an ergo nightmare as you probably have to look where your touching every time you go to press a button on the screen as you don't have any memory like you have with technical buttons. I'm all for new but sometimes you can have to much of a good thing.

When you really boil it down it was so 10 years ago......
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #24
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Many who I work with hate the i8 equally as much as the i3 as they feel it's way over styled and busy, some believe it or not prefer the i3's styling more than the i8 as they feel the design language fits it better.
I feel bad for your design team.
No-one I know, read reviews from, or talked to in car club community, has ever expressed anything but affection for i8 exterior styling.

i3 is not an entirely bad looking vehicle, but at best, you can say that it has "interesting" or "futuristic" styling. I was on a BMW product panel about a year ago, and sitting next to a Tesla (and a bunch of other cars I can't talk about), i3 was popularly tagged as an ugly duckling...

Quote:
Bmw is family owned and not run by share holders so it can take a risk and break new ground where other companies struggle to do so.
Correction - BMW is a publicly listed company, with 53.3% public float.
Even if it was mostly privately owned (by Quandt family members or hedge funds), it would be unreasonable to assume that their motivations for staying in business is anything other than maximizing shareholder value. Private or public.

a
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Many who I work with hate the i8 equally as much as the i3 as they feel it's way over styled and busy, some believe it or not prefer the i3's styling more than the i8 as they feel the design language fits it better.
I feel bad for your design team.
No-one I know, read reviews from, or talked to in car club community, has ever expressed anything but affection for i8 exterior styling.

i3 is not an entirely bad looking vehicle, but at best, you can say that it has "interesting" or "futuristic" styling. I was on a BMW product panel about a year ago, and sitting next to a Tesla (and a bunch of other cars I can't talk about), i3 was popularly tagged as an ugly duckling...

Quote:
Bmw is family owned and not run by share holders so it can take a risk and break new ground where other companies struggle to do so.
Correction - BMW is a publicly listed company, with 53.3% public float.
Even if it was mostly privately owned (by Quandt family members or hedge funds), it would be unreasonable to assume that their motivations for staying in business is anything other than maximizing shareholder value. Private or public.

a
MAN! Where have I been lol. I remember when people were talking that they were not publicly listed and you couldn't buy stocks lol. Man oh man! Shame on me for jumping to conclusions. Oh well don't watch tv and don't own cable TV so I miss a lot of what is going on in the world. Thanks for clearing that up.

What I wanted to convey is when your making decisions you want return on your investment and sometimes it takes huge risks but as our company is 100% Public traded they play safe and avoid big risks to maximize profits without having to spend a lot in R&D. Kinda sucks.

Unfortunately not everyone in our team hates the i8 and I wasn't talking for all of them but their are a few. I celebrated it and the i3 and probably took a couple hits for it in their eyes but still stand by my decision.

They don't get it but that's ok.

But getting back to my last statement in the end it's all amounts to shit. Your gonna love it or hate it but it doesn't matter, their gonna keep making cars and cars will date and get old. It's Why I have good job security. People keep buying them.

Our modeler worked at BMW and respected the fact that they take chances and risks more than the other two big German manufacturers
And it shows.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #26
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is a great electric car as long as you don't have far to go because BMW was stupid and installed the wrong quick charing port, so little luck charging it when you really need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
Aside from the Tesla and i8, still think the i3 is a good looking electric. Also slick move on BMW getting more i3's in the public.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:24 AM   #27
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
With lease prices advertised at $269/mo BMW is pretty much giving these away to everyone anyways

A half dozen people have sat in my car the last two days and two of them have said they'd consider buying one after seeing mine. So I think this is a good strategy getting them out there. I wasn't a believer until I drove one myself.
Appreciate 0