Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB_UK View Post
I like the S001s TBO for the road. Nice amount of grip for a relatively well lasting tyre and those Corsas will last about 10 minutes so not really economical on a DD! I also fear that they will be too much for front S001s and change the balance to too much understeer.

I save the sticky tyres for my Elise
Agree that if you did use the Corsa's they would definitely need to go on all 4 wheels. And would be uneconomical on a DD.
I've pressed the button on some S001 275/35/20s. Had to go for the R01s (used on R8s AFAIK) as that's all that was available (other than runflats).

If you go by the wet braking performance measurement they aren't as good as the i8 compound but that isn't a measure of overall grip or performance and nobody has been able to confirm if there is any discernible difference that the average driver can really notice so I just went for them.

A set of rears to go on the front are on back order until December so may get the current rears put there even though they only have about 2.5mm left.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #24
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHyperMiler View Post
Yes the knuckle in fact carries the hub and turns with the wheel. It allows to direct the steering rotation much closer down the middle of the wheel.

Trying to figure out why my 215 is exactly as close as you describe. A half inch more would definitely touch the knuckle.
Right then, finally got round to taking some better pictures with a light source to help.

First pics out make it look like the tyre is actually touching

Then I took a few more and you can "clearly" see a gap - just

The little rubber bits from mould that stick out on the new tyres must be touching! I think these tyres are as big as you want to go on stock rims without spacers. You can see there's no wear on the tyre from any rubbing - that's after a few hundred vigorous miles.

Just a quick note on the last pic, the wishbone thing with the yellow sticker clearly has an M embossed on it - wonder how close the the M and i Divisions are?
Attached Images

JasH621.00
      11-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB_UK View Post

A set of rears to go on the front are on back order until December so may get the current rears put there even though they only have about 2.5mm left.
You can't get matching ones for the front in the right size?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #26
iHyperMiler
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 A8

Thank you! Exactly as anticipated.

In our legislation there has to be a 8mm gap (1/3“).
I am assuming you could be using a 5 mm or 8 mm or 10 mm spacer and that would be golden. Also, some manufacturers do not consider the 7.5 “ wheel an adequate support above 235 mm. Others might.

The tire format I am considering is the 235/45 20 as a Michelin PS 4 all around the car, with a bit less of camber in the back and some in the front. So same width on all four corners, but a bit wider stance up front, and a tire some would consider the best all rounder summer tire ever made.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #27
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

Quote:

I am assuming you could be using a 5 mm or 8 mm or 10 mm spacer and that would be golden. Also, some manufacturers do not consider the 7.5 “ wheel an adequate support above 235 mm. Others might.

The tire format I am considering is the 235/45 20 as a Michelin PS 4 all around the car, with a bit less of camber in the back and some in the front. So same width on all four corners, but a bit wider stance up front, and a tire some would consider the best all rounder summer tire ever made.
So are 255 rears fine or not fine?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #28
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1977 View Post
Quote:

So are 255 rears fine or not fine?
I've just had S001 275/35/20s 102Y R01 (Audi RS6/7) fitted at the back and my old S001 245/40/20 rears fitted to the front.

All ok in terms of clearance and slightly more protection for the rims.

A bit less intervention from traction control when pulling away in eDrive and I expect this to improve with some nice fresh fronts, when they arrive.

Here are some pics that show they sit nicely on the std rims (I did remember to remove the locking wheel adapter!!):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Good work gents!

I just ordered a set of new tires for our i8. Going with 245/40R20 and 275/35R20. Since I live in Seattle and plan to drive it through the winter I went with a set of Pirelli all-season tires. I really wanted Michelin, but they are not available in that size! Hopefully I will not regret that choice.
      01-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #30
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Old thread I know

But. To close the loop and confirm....

245/40/20 in front...... 275/35/20 in rear ......fitted on OEM stockers only...

Will they fit on wheels? And if so, is there any rubbing.......?

Now that there are a few years of trial and error fitments.... anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

That's an "uncomfortably" close fit...

I'm not trying to muddy the waters here but folks should also understand that a particular tire size can have a meaningful difference in dimensions between vendors and even tire models from the same vendor. Particularly when your fitment is so very close.

For instance: I'm currently running 265/35-19's (square) on my M4 track car and there is a full half inch difference in the tread width between the Hoosier R7's I normally run and the Toyo R888R's (of the exact same size) that I now have on order (also 3/10 inch on section width and 1/10 inch on diameter). I have my fingers crossed that the R88R's will fit my M4 (without spacers) but really the only way to know is to try them. You also need to have some room for tire flex.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #32
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
That's an "uncomfortably" close fit...

I'm not trying to muddy the waters here but folks should also understand that a particular tire size can have a meaningful difference in dimensions between vendors and even tire models from the same vendor. Particularly when your fitment is so very close.

For instance: I'm currently running 265/35-19's (square) on my M4 track car and there is a full half inch difference in the tread width between the Hoosier R7's I normally run and the Toyo R888R's (of the exact same size) that I now have on order (also 3/10 inch on section width and 1/10 inch on diameter). I have my fingers crossed that the R88R's will fit my M4 (without spacers) but really the only way to know is to try them. You also need to have some room for tire flex.
Yeah agreed. I’m just entertaining making the switch over to an i8 and since I’ll need winters or all seasons, trying to get it right. I’ve done the separate wheel setup with previous M5 and M6s. Trying to avoid that for now and just use the OEM wheels really. And yes it’s a pita swapping tires, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #33
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing a winter wheel/tire combo. All I'm saying is that just because Vendor A's xxx/yyy-zz are a very close fit, doesn't mean that Vendor B's will fit at all.

Plus, if you are looking for winter tires then you likely shouldn't be trying to maximize your tire width anyway. Winter/Snow tires aren't a "wide tire challenge" like performance tires are. Winter tires are generally fitted at narrower widths (and even smaller wheels if possible).

Why not just run a vehicle specific winter (or all season) wheel/tire combo at TireRack and choose from what is offered? I'm all for trying to maximize tire width for summer performance, but only if a second set of winter wheels/tires is also available on the shelf.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #34
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing a winter wheel/tire combo. All I'm saying is that just because Vendor A's xxx/yyy-zz are a very close fit, doesn't mean that Vendor B's will fit at all.

Plus, if you are looking for winter tires then you likely shouldn't be trying to maximize your tire width anyway. Winter/Snow tires aren't a "wide tire challenge" like performance tires are. Winter tires are generally fitted at narrower widths (and even smaller wheels if possible).

Why not just run a vehicle specific winter (or all season) wheel/tire combo at TireRack and choose from what is offered? I'm all for trying to maximize tire width for summer performance, but only if a second set of winter wheels/tires is also available on the shelf.
Prolly wrong thread I suppose. Wasn’t thinking wider tires in a way everyone here is.... I was just thinking of an all season to get me through NY winters and such. I also have a few different sets of tires around as well......
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #35
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

TireRack.Com

Put in your car model and year and select the option to search for winter wheels/tire combos. Pick the ones you like. Tires/wheels arrive mounted, pre-balanced, with TPMS sensors pre-installed (if you option them), and are ready to put on the car! All you need is a car jack and a lug wrench. Done.

TireRack is one of the best companies I have bought anything from. They know exactly what fits, have great selection and prices, and will always go out of their way to make sure you are happy with what you purchased. I can't say enough good things about them...

I posted a sample listing for winter wheels/tires from tirerack in another thread here if you want to do a quick search. I seriously don't know why anyone would go anywhere else - particularly for winter wheels/tires. Maybe if you wanted some high end "fashion" rims or something, but not winter wheels/tires...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #36
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
TireRack.Com

Put in your car model and year and select the option to search for winter wheels/tire combos. Pick the ones you like. Tires/wheels arrive mounted, pre-balanced, with TPMS sensors pre-installed (if you option them), and are ready to put on the car! All you need is a car jack and a lug wrench. Done.
Second this, did it for winter tires, TPMS and balanced, arrived ready to go and to dealers surprise fit perfectly although not "standard."

Although amusingly FedEx delivered 3 of the 4 tires one day, and when I asked where the 4th one was I was told it was delayed due to "weather." They were all shipped at same time from same place. My snarky answer was I don't believe that, because they are winter tires...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #37
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I'm currently looking at some winter tyres:

245/40r20 front
275/35/r20 rear

Any idea if they'll fit? I've never strayed from stock before so new to this.

This is also the first car with tpms. If I swap tyres will I have to have these reset?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #38
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Wider/bigger tires for winter are not advisable. A wider tire is more likely to hydroplane in the wet, and has less traction in snow. Plus you need clearance for snow/ice. And the edge design of many winter tires have less clearance.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #39
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
I'm currently looking at some winter tyres:

245/40r20 front
275/35/r20 rear

Any idea if they'll fit? I've never strayed from stock before so new to this.

This is also the first car with tpms. If I swap tyres will I have to have these reset?

Thanks
What do you guys have against Tire Rack? Even if your are not buying from them (UK) you can can run tire sizes and offsets all day long to see what specifically fits the i8...

Are you waiting for TyreRack.Com or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #40
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Ha, well it would be better if they spelled it correctly of course! I assume tirerack is similar to willtheyfit.com.m, which I have taken a look at.

Yes you can see what will fit on which wheels, but I was more concerned about rubbing etc. as it's pretty tight in the wheel arches already. Or do these sites actually have robust knowledge of particular car installations?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #41
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Why not take a look at TireRack.com?

You can put in your make/model/year and they will tell you EXACTLY what fits. You can buy wheel and tire combos and they will show you EXACTLY what they will look like on your car (with a side image where you can even select your car color). Even if you don't want to buy a wheel and tire combo, you can find out what wheels will fit a particular car (and their size and offset), and what tires will fit a specific wheel (and/or wheel size).

Its not like they are charging admission or anything to use the site...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:06 PM   #42
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

I’m running a 245/40-20 square setup and it’s wonderful.
No understeer and a rear wheel drive handling balance that I’m frankly more used to.
Appreciate 0