02-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #46
Auto
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: MB CLS 63 AMG

Grattis!

Scott

How come BMW doesn't make a 500+ km range car like Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #47
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you look for my other posts in this i Forum, you'll see I've made good arguments for the Volt. If I had a commute that met the intended performance envelope of the Volt, I'd get one in a heartbeat. I test drove one in late 2012 after all the Fox News bashing of it in an effort to make it look like a greencar from the Obama administration; us car guys know GM started development on the Volt over 15 years ago when Obama wasn't yet even in the Senate. As a single vehicle that one can own that is both an EV and a car without range limitations, to me, right now it's the best vehicle of choice for a Suburbanite.

But I slightly disagree with Tom's statements because I think most people buy a car that meets their needs, and one they enjoy to drive and can afford. Driving an EV is an eye opening experience as mine was when I drove the Volt; but with my commute, it's not the most economical choice. I've done extensive calculations on both the Volt and the Tesla S to fit my commute, which is unique to say the least, but not terribly uncommon, the numbers just don't work out. A reasonably priced, fuel efficient, sedan still beats both the Volt and Tesla when total ownership costs are considered. The high purchase price has been one of the negatives put against the Volt, but on a BMW i3 Forum, this point is rarely made. To be honest regarding the environment, EV owners also need to accept that battery manufacture and disposal has its own impact on the environment and world political stage (lithium production) and that most electricity (in the US at least) is not produced without some carbon emissions. From what I've researched, the payback on EVs is quite high and dependent upon battery longevity. EV battery systems are warranted anywhere between 80,000 - 120,000 miles, which in most instances is below the payback period for the vehicle price differential at current fuel prices.

With statements such as "Welcome to the future" and "Electronaut" and "spaceship", it got a bit thick for me; it's good to deal in reality once and awhile. I am happy for the OP and his ownership of the i3; it has obviously made him very happy, which is most of the point of a car purchase in the beginning.
I totally agree with your statement. They still need to grow.
I also despise this "green car" statement, actually the car pollutes a lot to be build and energy does not come usually from a green source. People should read more before embracing all the marketing crap.

I might look at the i8 in the future and the single thing that drags me there is that if there is no power I still have a gas engine. But that depends on the range too. Canada is not Europe... Plus I need to touch and feel, so far I don't perceive the i3 as a luxury vehicle, but I didn't touch or drive one so we will see...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #48
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I also despise this "green car" statement, actually the car pollutes a lot to be build and energy does not come usually from a green source. People should read more before embracing all the marketing crap.

I might look at the i8 in the future and the single thing that drags me there is that if there is no power I still have a gas engine. But that depends on the range too. Canada is not Europe... Plus I need to touch and feel, so far I don't perceive the i3 as a luxury vehicle, but I didn't touch or drive one so we will see...
Good point about having to look more carefully at the true environmental impact of both production and the way the electricity is actually produced.

The i8's biggest draw for me? Gullwing doors.

To the op: congrats on the i3!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:23 AM   #49
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
so far I don't perceive the i3 as a luxury vehicle, but I didn't touch or drive one so we will see...
I agree, I dont consider it as a luxury vehicle. It reminds me alot of the E21 and E30 (which I still own and love). Compact, fast, very well engineered. And very fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #50
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
Grattis!

Scott

How come BMW doesn't make a 500+ km range car like Tesla?
Probably when they launch their i5 minivan: it will have a longer wheelbase, therefore more room for the extra batteries.

The main reason why the i3 has 80-100 miles range is because it was conceived as a city car for short urban commuting...
      02-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost
Quote:

Good point about having to look more carefully at the true environmental impact of both production and the way the electricity is actually produced.

The i8's biggest draw for me? Gullwing doors.

To the op: congrats on the i3!!!
Zero tail pipe is about as green as it gets.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #52
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

If this could run all electric for 150 miles it would be worth considering for more suburban work. Interesting to hear you guys talking about charging at work... I hope my company does something like that in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #53
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Can someone tell me if you can charge these icars with 120--that is all can currently (sorry) get in my condo garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #54
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
FP pic looks very minority report-ish. Great stuff!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #55
ultraturtle
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Can someone tell me if you can charge these icars with 120....
Yup. If you are lucky enough to draw 16 amps without tripping a breaker, a full charge takes 6-8 hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #56
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Can someone tell me if you can charge these icars with 120--that is all can currently (sorry) get in my condo garage.
Yes, the vehicle comes with this cable as part of the package, and from 'empty', takes about 8-hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #57
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Yes you can. However the other comments here about how long it will take are incorrect. The 120v portable EVSE will only draw around 1.3kW's on it's highest setting. Then there are charging losses to account for. If the i3's battery was was completely discharged it will take between 16 and 18 hours to fully charge and that's in reasonable temperatures (Between 55 degrees and 80 degrees F) colder or hotter than that will extend the charge time even longer.

In Europe the charging time off a simple household wall socket will be about half that time and BMW has frequently used the charging times for European customers without making that distinction which may have led to the confusion.
      02-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #58
ultraturtle
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Yes you can. However the other comments here about how long it will take are incorrect. The 120v portable EVSE will only draw around 1.3kW's on it's highest setting. Then there are charging losses to account for. If the i3's battery was was completely discharged it will take between 16 and 18 hours to fully charge and that's in reasonable temperatures (Between 55 degrees and 80 degrees F) colder or hotter than that will extend the charge time even longer.

In Europe the charging time off a simple household wall socket will be about half that time and BMW has frequently used the charging times for European customers without making that distinction which may have led to the confusion.
Good catch, Tom. Measured charging loss for most EVs at 120 V is roughly 15%, so 18.8 kWh / 1.3 kW / .85 = 17 hours, so the math checks out. You'll recoup roughly 4.4 miles of range per hour of charge. My bad for quoting 6-8 hours from the European spec.

Last edited by ultraturtle; 02-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: added recoup rate
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #59
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Thanks for that clarification, it helps me determine if I need to add a 220v plug in my garage. I'm still leaning towards just trying it with the existing 120v, especially if I can talk my work into adding a 220v charging outlet here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #60
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

If you wish to go to 240vac charging in the USA, you'll need a level 2 charger instead of just a 240vac receptacle, or have to custom build a cable, that may not be all that easy. The plug used (and supplied as part of the car in Europe) works off their local mains, but two things are different: Europe has chosen a different style plug for the vehicle end, and depending on the country, has a different style plug on the receptacle end as well. I think I've seen some converter plugs, but the combination of the Euro spec cable and the converter would likely be in the $1k range...for about that, you could get a level 2 charger installed, which is just plug and play.

I wonder if my local dealer will be putting in a DCFC point? They're only 1/4-mile away, worthwhile, especially if it ends up being free! I could catch up on e-mail from their hotspot while charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #61
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraturtle View Post
Good catch, Tom. Measured charging loss for most EVs at 120 V is roughly 15%, so 18.8 kWh / 1.3 kW / .85 = 17 hours, so the math checks out. You'll recoup roughly 4.4 miles of range per hour of charge. My bad for quoting 6-8 hours from the European spec.
OK. Just don't let it happen again!
      02-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #62
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If you wish to go to 240vac charging in the USA, you'll need a level 2 charger instead of just a 240vac receptacle, or have to custom build a cable, that may not be all that easy. The plug used (and supplied as part of the car in Europe) works off their local mains, but two things are different: Europe has chosen a different style plug for the vehicle end, and depending on the country, has a different style plug on the receptacle end as well. I think I've seen some converter plugs, but the combination of the Euro spec cable and the converter would likely be in the $1k range...for about that, you could get a level 2 charger installed, which is just plug and play.

I wonder if my local dealer will be putting in a DCFC point? They're only 1/4-mile away, worthwhile, especially if it ends up being free! I could catch up on e-mail from their hotspot while charging.
I admit your post has confused me. My wife has put down a deposit on this car and it's the first time she's willing to go beyond Honda so we're both excited about it

But the BMW dealer we're dealing with was very clear that we will want to purchase a 240vac charging station and have an electrician install it. They seemed to think this was no big deal. I think it is critically important. There is no way we could use this car if it takes 18 hours for a full charge.

Are you suggesting that 240vac charging will be problematic for these cars?

Pat

Edit: I may have mis-read your post as saying 240vac charging was not easy but I see you were referring to a custom cable, I think.

Last edited by catpat8000; 02-18-2014 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #63
katsudon
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328i JB

for some reason i find the i3 in snow clip extremely cute
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #64
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
for some reason i find the i3 in snow clip extremely cute
It was filmed by my 11 year old daughter with her cell phone.

I planned to do some 'spectacular' drifting, but was impossible, the stability control would not allow it, even in Traction mode. Thats why it almost stopped in the top of the hill

Last edited by Touring; 02-19-2014 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #65
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35 View Post
FP pic looks very minority report-ish. Great stuff!
Thanks! Here is one more, special for you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #66
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
Thanks! Here is one more, special for you
Hi,
Have you measured any charge times for your new car? I'd love to hear about charging first hand from someone who owns the car.

Pat
Appreciate 0