Drives: X3M

BMW Considers Short-Term Rental Program for Mega City Vehicle

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Considers Short-Term Rental Program for Mega City Vehicle
COMMENTS
Name:  MCV.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  31.2 KB
Usually, there's merely two options if you want a car, buy or lease. Automobilwoche now reports that BMW is considering a different approach for their Mega City Vehicle. BMW Board Member Ian Robertson mentioned with Automobilwoche that the Car-to-go program Daimler runs to rent out Smart vehicles on a short-term basis was "quite an interesting approach." Referring to the Mega City Vehicle, he went on: "We don't want to sell the car but its use." BMW will test a similar approach in another model this year, likely the 1-series Active E.

This consideration makes sense as the technology used for the Mega City Vehicle makes for such tremendous development and production costs that it would be either too expensive to buy and lease or not profitable. Another issue is its residual value strongly depending on the battery life, an obstructive risk for both BMW and potential owners.

Automobilwoche also mentions that BMW is set to unveil the actual name of the Mega City Vehicle on February 21st. As we reported, BMW's latest trademark fillings suggest a name starting with i, e.g. i2 or i4. Market launch is expected for 2013.

[source: Automobilwoche]

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I wonder what this thing is going to look like. It's a brave new world out there. You probably have to be a celebrity to get one.
      01-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
You probably have to be a celebrity to get one.
I really doubt that only celebrities would be buying one. I think the new Mega City Vehicle (Isetta) will be a popular choice and will take a big chunk out of the Toyota Prius market.

I would use the Prius as a target pricepoint, since this will most likely carry a new brand name and be appointed with the BMW Roundel.
Appreciate 0