BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

i8 is a DD car, not a week end/ track car.
This comparo is just for fun, i8 was not built to beat Porches on tracks
But I hope the future M8 or how they will call their next sport car will do
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #46
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
i8 is a DD car, not a week end/ track car.
This comparo is just for fun, i8 was not built to beat Porches on tracks
But I hope the future M8 or how they will call their next sport car will do

Porsches are good DD cars too.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #47
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This is a stupid comparison. The design intent of the two cars is completely different. I saw a comparison of the Tesla and the i8 and that is at least a better comparison. Frankly, its hard to compare the i8 with other cars as the i8 is very unique so they come up with these nonsensical comparisons as forum fodder.

The i8 is not a poser car, its a proof of concept car - the concept being, "Is it possible to build a hybrid with good performance and handling?" The i8 is expensive, but the technology will begin trickling down over time to cheaper models. Imagine a 335i hybrid using similar technology. I think a recent Motor Trend featuring the i8 had an editorial with excerpts from a conversation with a BMW official in which they acknowledged how Toyota had created a market for hybrids and that BMW wanted to create a market for hybrid sports cars.

Hybrids currently have the reputation of being slow because of the Prius. I think several manufacturers have now shown that by using a combination of electric motors and a conventional engine to drive all 4 wheels, you can build a hybrid that is faster than a Prius. So to put the proof of concept in another way "Do all hybrids have to have Prius-like performance?" From that perspective, the i8 is a resounding success. Just the fact that someone has the balls to compare a hybrid to a Porsche shows that the i8 has people re-thinking their expectations about a hybrid.

Last edited by snaimpally; 09-05-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #48
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

In the real world, the i8 driver would simply depress the accelerator, whilst the 911 driver would sit there faffing about with the launch control process at the traffic lights. No contest in the real world.

However, it is a pretty pointless comparison overall to be honest, whatever 911 they had picked. There are probably over 100 cars that will out-drag the i8 in 0-60. The same applies to the 911 of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Loving all the people hating on a car they can't afford for being slower in a drag race than a 911, because that's obviously the only metric that matters. Excuse me while I go post on a LaFerrari forum about its trunk size and fuel economy.
While i do like the car, I definetely don't like your attitude. Not long time ago, in a different thread about i8 you start poking people with the same uncivilized assumptions. Stop being so proud about your deposit or your next i8, nobody cares about your financial potency. To be honest, I do believe that this kind of attitude makes me walk away from a certain thing, no wonder the BMW owners are sometimes ridiculized.

Please resume to technical facts and polite personal opinions, rather than showing us how rich you are.
Also, maybe some of us can afford the car, but not all of us jump on trhowing a deposit based on looks. Some really want to touch, feel, experience the car. If that option was not open to many, it doesn't mean that they can not have it.
I have comment in the past that I am not happy about the way the rubber looks on the i8 on the door side and you posted some subtile comments in regards with other's affordability.

Lastly, it is a forum and everybody is entitled to an opinion. I found very good people in here and many with common sense and a proper attitude, It is a nuance of education to be polite and give everybody the chance to express its opinion. Also, if you own the car it doesn't make you automatically a guru, some are really tech savy and regardless of not having the financial capacity, they might have a good technical/mental one.

I don't care what you have in your garage. Everyone has cars, few have a true character!

Last edited by Teutonic; 09-05-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #50
Enilder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Should've tried 991S without a power kit against i8. I wish I like the i8 design but I don't...Results are as expected but somewhat disappointing performance on i8 in the beginning (0 to 60).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #51
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

My CEO killed my desire to own an i8 when, after being one of the first (maybe *the* first?) people to take delivery in Silicon Valley, he called it a piece of ish and gave it to his daughter to drive.

To be fair, at least he can go back to his Zonda. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #52
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I figured out why EVO's 0-60 times are so much worse (4.5 seconds) than Motor Trend and Road&Track (3.8 seconds).

They do a brake stand start instead of just mashing the gas from a standstill like the other publications. Shame.
And maybe they're also trying to drift in a straight line.
Much harder than drifting in curves. Because drifting is everything these days.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #53
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
My CEO killed my desire to own an i8 when, after being one of the first (maybe *the* first?) people to take delivery in Silicon Valley, he called it a piece of ish ...
Go ahead and get an i8, then tell him you got a Tesla Model S 85.
He'll yawn and say "Yeah, you and half the population of Silicon Valley."
It'll be your little secret.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #54
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
How so?
I think he means the car looks like a Lamborghini, but goes likeAudi S3. I was hoping it to be more like a Tesla, which beats most cars in a straight line. I still love it, but I think I like straight line performance even more. Not trying to offend anyone, just stating facts. I was hoping the performance would have been more comparable to a 911, because I was seriously thinking about this car...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #55
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARam View Post
Performance aside.

Did anyone spot and noticed the BUTTERFLY at time 3:10 landing on the BMW round front emblem?

Something tells me this car is so GREEN CAR FRIENDLY that even nature likes it. 😂
Yes it was LOL! Or then they have a very well trained butterfly!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #56
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
I think he means the car looks like a Lamborghini, but goes likeAudi S3. I was hoping it to be more like a Tesla, which beats most cars in a straight line. I still love it, but I think I like straight line performance even more. Not trying to offend anyone, just stating facts. I was hoping the performance would have been more comparable to a 911, because I was seriously thinking about this car...
Of course it is important to explain a comment like that. What is the i8 posing as? Because it's not trying to be a Lamborghini... it is posing as an efficient sports car with dual personality of being a sports car and an efficient car all in one. And, I might add, the i8 is doing a great job of posing as such...

All I would say is if you are seriously considering an i8 (and are ok with waiting 2 years or paying $50k or more over MSRP to get an early car), watch all of the many reviews on YouTube; many prominent journalists have reviewed the car. None of them call it a poser car.

Yes, it is not on par with a 911 for performance; however all the reviewers have said, it is very close. Plus, there are the dual nature and efficiency aspects the i8 has that the pure ICE sports cars do not. The biggest complaint with the performance of the i8 has been lack of feedback and the front tires get to their limit before the rest of the car.

What I am saying is that a drag race loss isn't a big deal in the overall purpose of the i8. Unless of course straight line performance is all you want. In which case, the i8 isn't your car. Then there are great cars like the Hellcat, GT-R, and others that beat pretty much anything in a straight line.

Neither the i8 nor the 911 are straight line cars. The 911 still outhandles the i8 from my understanding, but that's ok because the i8 comes close (as per every review of the i8 by journalists) and has other qualities that are unique to the i8.

Btw I disagree that the Tesla is faster in a straight line than most cars. That's a big claim that won't hold up if you look at the numbers. It's a 4 second car on the best day. Lots of cars best a Tesla in a straight line.

Magazines have the Tesla doing 0-60 anywhere from 3.9s to 4.4s; the i8 has been tested from 3.8s to 4.5s. They are very similar in terms of straight line performance.

Finally, I will mention in-gear acceleration tests of a 911 (forgot which one) and an i8 in a UK car mag had the i8 beating the 911 in 30-50mph and 50-70mph roll ons.

It's not trying to be the fastest car out there.

The looks by traditional convention make it look like it should be "so fast" but that is not what BMW claims; it's what some people who want the i8 to be a Supercar project onto it, and those projections don't change what the car is. They just exude disappointment of some people regarding the incongruency of their notion of what the car should/could have been versus what it actually is.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #57
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

David, I agree with that. I would add though that the Tesla feels quicker moving off than the i8, because of the nature of its power delivery. From gut feel, I'd also say the top Tesla is quicker than i8 0-30, but the i8 accelerates faster after that.

The two are not comparable though, as they drive and handle completely differently.

As you say though, the i8 is not the fastest car out there, and was never claimed to be. Nor is it a track car.

It does what it is designed to do better than any car in existence though
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #58
kip1
Captain
Rep

I dont know guys, the Tesla is quick...

You are right with your question, what is the i8 posing as. I dont know, I still feel it looks like supercar, but definately isnt. Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari took a very different approach to their hybrids, they made it the top range model, I was maybe hoping this would have been that too.

I just mean before I was more into buying it than now...I am leaning towards 991 again...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #59
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool video. The Tesla S definitely felt quick when I drove it, so that test vs the M5 does not surprise me too much. Only surprised that the Tesla was not further ahead at the start.

btw if you were after the i8 based on performance you really were looking at the wrong car. It is very quick, but not that quick. There are lots of faster cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #60
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Cool video. The Tesla S definitely felt quick when I drove it, so that test vs the M5 does not surprise me too much. Only surprised that the Tesla was not further ahead at the start.

btw if you were after the i8 based on performance you really were looking at the wrong car. It is very quick, but not that quick. There are lots of faster cars.
Tesla also drops off quick as speed increases...which is an even more pointless factor in the US where you're never legally able to go over 80 except a few specific roads/tolls.

The i8 gives you the level of performance you need for the environment you're going to use it in. Not to mention the electric drive and fuel range combination. You can "refuel" a i8 in 5 minutes at a gas station if you're on a long trip. You can "refuel" your Tesla in 5-6 hours if you can find a station, faster with a Supercharger but the nearest Supercharger to me is 300-400 miles. I couldn't make it home from a Tesla dealer without stoping for at least 3-4 hours to charge.
Appreciate 0