BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
And just to make sure, the OP was not referring to the "hold" that WAS in place last week at the port, where if any cars made it out before Pebble Beach they would be held until after that event, right? Because that hold has been lifted as of this week. And many outlets cited the Coucours d'Elegance auction as the "Launch" of US i8s.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

I also thought about - -

- - if they truly hold our cars until late fall - my car (and many of ours on here) have already been built.

Does this mean that a completed car will just sit for a few months either in Germany at the port or here in the US at a VPC - without being driven? Meaning, isn't it really bad for cars to just sit like that? I would assume BMW would be smarter than that, but maybe not, based on so many poor decisions made thus far on this project.

If they need to build and ship app. 200+ cars to arrive around the same time for all their BMW i dealer 'firsts', and production in earnest started in early July, that could mean that cars wouldn't be delivered to dealers until November. (based on how many cars they can make a month, plus the fact that they are not only making US-destined cars, as Europe people are already taking deliveries, too)

Or maybe I am missing something?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
- - if they truly hold our cars until late fall - my car (and many of ours on here) have already been built.

Does this mean that a completed car will just sit for a few months either in Germany at the port or here in the US at a VPC - without being driven? Meaning, isn't it really bad for cars to just sit like that? I would assume BMW would be smarter than that, but maybe not, based on so many poor decisions made thus far on this project.

If they need to build and ship app. 200+ cars to arrive around the same time for all their BMW i dealer 'firsts', and production in earnest started in early July, that could mean that cars wouldn't be delivered to dealers until November. (based on how many cars they can make a month, plus the fact that they are not only making US-destined cars, as Europe people are already taking deliveries, too)

Or maybe I am missing something?
Yeah, something's not adding up. This reminds me of when StuM gave me a heart attack with the story about them changing ALL orders to Tera because they didn't have any Pure Impulse leather...but the actual text said only a portion of orders would have to change. In his defense, it WAS badly worded and confusing. Here's hoping someone saw that cars were staying in "awaiting carrier" status for over a week and assumed they were holding them. They wouldn't create a bottleneck at the factory or the port of export (Bremerhaven), they would hold the cars at the VPC and ports of entry where they have the space to store them and where cars are regularly held for coordinated releases. And like I said there WERE two "holds" in my dealer's system for the i8 in the past couple weeks, one for EPA certification and one for the Pebble Beach customer release, both of which have been lifted.

I don't think is part of some conspiracy to drive up "market value" because BMW doesn't see any of the additional money. Dealerships make orders, they pay a set price, and whatever they get over that price is profit...for them, BMW doesn't get a "kickback." So there's no incentive to game the market. It's why the price of the GT-R has consistently risen from it's original $69k to over $100k, dealers were getting huge markups and Nissan wasn't seeing any of that money, so they just upped the price to "get theirs." Sure, high residuals would be nice for BMW (the inevitable price increase would appear more justified as well) but a metaphorical slap to their customers doesn't seem worth it. Why constrict the supply of a product that is already so supply constricted that it would make virtually no difference?

Maybe I'm giving BMWUSA i too much credit, but this has to be a case of mishearing something or a bad assumption. I guess I could see them setting it up so all the MAJOR-MAJOR markets (NYC, LA, SF, Miami, NoVA/DC/MD, Chicago, etc) (i.e. the first 2-3 weeks of production which are already done) get theirs at the same time. (Which would be this weekend since from Sat-Mon there are ships leaving for every major US port), but I can't FATHOM what would have to happen for someone in charge to think holding that many cars for that long would be a good idea. So I'm going to file this under false until I see some sort of bulletin or internal email. I would like to think BMW is smarter than that.

Last edited by Carac; 08-23-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #26
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Entertainment

We continue to be greatly entertained by conjecture, theories and half truths. While nobody likes the general term, "it is what it is." Relax and enjoy the ride. Or do what I've done; go out and buy something else fun while the i8's trickle in.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #27
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fully Agree

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #28
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just spoke with my dealer - he pulled up records for US orders - he found at least two cars on boats mid-water headed for dealers in the Florida region, and at at least one on a boat today headed for a dealer in California.

In addition, weirdly enough, he showed one dealer in Las Vegas to already have one i8 on the ground in inventory.

Who knows exactly what all this means, but if they do any sort of 'hold', it probably ain't gonna be on the Germany side. My dealer also thought it would be highly unlikely that BMW would hold cars for months. Maybe a week or so, but not months, if a hold would even happen at all.

Just wanted to provide this update.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #29
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

I'm just now catching up on the thread that I posted. WOW, what a range of reactions. So here is some more clarity.

The launch information came from BMWNA execs that are in the know. More importantly here's where i8 production stands - VIN VX64097 was completed on July 14th. While I am not 100% sure if this is the actual first production car, this VIN starts a batch of US production cars. That batch continues with VX64292 which finished production on August 22. So that's almost 200 US i8s completed and ready to be shipped.

I would have to believe that BMW is very close to ensuring that each i8 dealer will have their i8s in hand for a September launch.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #30
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
I'm just now catching up on the thread that I posted. WOW, what a range of reactions. So here is some more clarity.

The launch information came from BMWNA execs that are in the know. More importantly here's where i8 production stands - VIN VX64097 was completed on July 14th. While I am not 100% sure if this is the actual first production car, this VIN starts a batch of US production cars. That batch continues with VX64292 which finished production on August 22. So that's almost 200 US i8s completed and ready to be shipped.

I would have to believe that BMW is very close to ensuring that each i8 dealer will have their i8s in hand for a September launch.
So did they specifically say "we're holding cars" or just "we're ensuring every dealer has one by september" (a launch window). Because those are two very different things. One is asinine and ridiculous the other isn't. Structuring builds and orders so everyone gets one within 2-4 weeks of each other doesn't require holding orders back. And the fact that some are already in transit makes me think it's the latter.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep

Hold is a matter of semantics. The cars that were built on July 14th are still in Germany. My car was built on July 29th and is still in Germany. Whether they sit is Germany, the USA or are floating around in the ocean, they remain on "Hold for Release". Though, staging them in the US makes much more sense. However, BMW is working very hard to make sure each of the cars are flawless. I trust the techs in Germany to make last minute software or other updates to the cars than I do the US tech that is seeing the i8 for the first time.

The intent of the launch is to have each of the i8 dealers receive their cars in a 24 hour window. BMW did the same with the Z8s. I can understand that BMW wants to make sure all its customers and dealers are treated equally. I can understand this. Customer and Dealer egos are on the line. How do you select who is first.

There is already noise about the 11 cars delivered at Pebble Beach. Seems to me that a perfect launch would have had the initial batch of i8s delivered the week after PB. But, I'm not in the driver's seat. And, BMW did the same thing with the first 8 i8s delivered at the Welt. Based on the posts on this and several other sites, customer cars are finally arriving, approx. 60 days after that event.

I did see the post that mentioned a handful of cars being on the boat. I can't speak to these cars. They may be additional press cars, promotional cars or who knows.

I remain optimistic that we will see our cars in September. But that's my optimism, not a fact. I'm just as impatient as everyone else. The fact that I have had the opportunity to drive the i8 creates both anxiety and calm.

I will continue to post whatever additional info I receive.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hold is a matter of semantics. The cars that were built on July 14th are still in Germany. My car was built on July 29th and is still in Germany. Whether they sit is Germany, the USA or are floating around in the ocean, they remain on "Hold for Release". Though, staging them in the US makes much more sense. However, BMW is working very hard to make sure each of the cars are flawless. I trust the techs in Germany to make last minute software or other updates to the cars than I do the US tech that is seeing the i8 for the first time.

The intent of the launch is to have each of the i8 dealers receive their cars in a 24 hour window. BMW did the same with the Z8s. I can understand that BMW wants to make sure all its customers and dealers are treated equally. I can understand this. Customer and Dealer egos are on the line. How do you select who is first.

There is already noise about the 11 cars delivered at Pebble Beach. Seems to me that a perfect launch would have had the initial batch of i8s delivered the week after PB. But, I'm not in the driver's seat. And, BMW did the same thing with the first 8 i8s delivered at the Welt. Based on the posts on this and several other sites, customer cars are finally arriving, approx. 60 days after that event.

I did see the post that mentioned a handful of cars being on the boat. I can't speak to these cars. They may be additional press cars, promotional cars or who knows.

I remain optimistic that we will see our cars in September. But that's my optimism, not a fact. I'm just as impatient as everyone else. The fact that I have had the opportunity to drive the i8 creates both anxiety and calm.

I will continue to post whatever additional info I receive.
I guess that means they'll be loading 200 cars on trucks and having them sit idling for hours/days until a "starter" tells them they can leave the port to synchronize arrival times at various dealers. It's been 15 years since the Z8 and the world is different. The internet wasn't what it is today. I hope somewhere in the process someone asked whether doing it exactly the same as they did over a decade ago is the best policy. What bunch of ego BS. So the dealership across the state gets a car they already sold a week before you get a car you've already sold? They're both already spoken for! Well I hope they're happy. Each day they hold a car is one less day I have to drive it before the weather turns and one less day for me to act as a rolling advertisement for BMW and BMW i.

Last edited by Carac; 08-24-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep

I agree.

But, just think of the 4 wheel driving fun you could have in snow! And the cool video you could post
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #34
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

VIN i8

Interesting data.
Weird, the last VIN quoted is earlier than my car by approx 20 but my i8 is the first at my dealer, who is i car qualified ( one of the 200 ). My car is still in production with week 35 completion, will investigate further tomorrow. So I cannot understand BMWNA statement that all i dealers will have an i8 before launch. According to them my VIN is outside this initial production so either the launch is going to be delayed until mine gets to my i dealer or their comment is wrong. I hope for all those lucky early production folks it is the latter so you can enjoy Fall driving.
Mine arrives at the earliest very late September or most likely early October.

Last edited by Arezzo; 08-24-2014 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #35
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
Interesting data.
Weird, the last VIN quoted is earlier than my car by approx 20 but my i8 is the first at my dealer. My car is still in production with week 35 completion, will investigate further tomorrow.
Assuming they are sequential. Mine is in the first 100 of those and has been "done" for two weeks. There's got to be a book's worth of stories about the "i" division at this point. From the amazing engineering and progress of design (diesel hybrid to gas) and packaging to the convoluted launch. Like whether the choice to only offer Pure Impulse was an early one, or was it a necessity since they had waited so long and cut the launch so close that there was no other choice (order guides and allocations a week before the factory was supposed to start assembly of US-spec).

I sincerely hope this is the weekend they've been waiting for to ship the cars over since they're probably close to the first full batch of cars. If they send them now I would be able to take it to one of the largest car events in the state in mid-Sept. Sigh.

Last edited by Carac; 08-24-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #36
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I'm not sure how upset the dealers would be with staggered arrivals, but it's obvious that the customers are thoroughly pissed off to hear their deliveries are on hold. BMWNA has a system in place to let you know when your car has finished production, and then they let you agonize while waiting for it to get released? Is this a decision made by BMWNA or BMW AG? Either way, it's crazy stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #37
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep

Arezzo,

To clear up the point I was trying to convey. The VIN I noted was the last i8 to roll of the assembly line on Aug 22nd. It does not mean that this first batch is complete. In fact, yours is an example of being first on the list at your dealer and making sure you get your i8 at the same time everyone else does.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #38
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Again, this could all be cleared up with a simple memo/bulletin about deliveries and an ETA. Most of my frustration over the whole thing is the complete lack of communication about their intentions and plans. A simple "The BMW i8 will launch in US dealerships the __th of September" would suffice. The range of mixed messages, rumors, speculation, etc and absence of an official voice is infuriating.

Last edited by Carac; 08-24-2014 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #39
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all for the interesting info and commentary - it certainly will be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next two months.

I want to ask the group, though, do you all think it's worthy of us writing to someone (Perhaps CEO level) at both BMW Corporate in Germany as well as BMW NA to explain that the (often-changing) communication around the US release, vehicle status update mismatches via numerous BMW-sponsored and dealer sponsored systems, etc., all have been misleading and a total mess? (and are creating enough upset with the first i8 customers and the stories about little or no or misleading communication will get out to lots of people)

And, if we did write to someone, would they even care? Would it make perhaps a difference?

Reason I ask - maybe if enough of us wrote (factual based emails with little emotion, which I know will be hard for me!!) - maybe they would consider releasing cars earlier than planned. (If, indeed, the plan is to wait until mid- or late Sep or Oct).

thoughts?

Last edited by jwestfield; 08-24-2014 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #40
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Arezzo,

To clear up the point I was trying to convey. The VIN I noted was the last i8 to roll of the assembly line on Aug 22nd. It does not mean that this first batch is complete. In fact, yours is an example of being first on the list at your dealer and making sure you get your i8 at the same time everyone else does.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. It implies all others will be on hold until mine and any other i8 destined for an i dealer is delivered for the same US wide 24 hour launch window.
If that is the case and assuming my production status is accurate that window at the earliest will be Sept 29-October 3.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #41
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. It implies all others will be on hold until mine and any other i8 destined for an i dealer is delivered for the same US wide 24 hour launch window.
If that is the case and assuming my production status is accurate that window at the earliest will be Sept 29-October 3.
Mine was a week 34 (Aug 24th) completion date but actually finished two weeks ago (the estimates are weeks off due to a lack of historical data about production capacity)...so yours is probably done and the system just isn't updated (the customer service hotline was still saying my car was in production when the automated hotline and my dealer's system were both showing assembly complete, awaiting carrier). It appears it only takes 3-4 days from Status 153 to 155. So there's a good chance yours is just sitting around waiting to be released as well.

Last edited by Carac; 08-24-2014 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #42
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Mine was a week 34 (Aug 24th) completion date but actually finished two weeks ago (the estimates are weeks off due to a lack of historical data about production capacity)...so yours is probably done and the system just isn't updated (the customer service hotline was still saying my car was in production when the automated hotline and my dealer's system were both showing assembly complete, awaiting carrier). It appears it only takes 3-4 days from Status 153 to 155. So there's a good chance yours is just sitting around waiting to be released as well.
That would be good news for all of us pioneers !
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #43
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=jwe

"I want to ask the group, though, do you all think it's worthy of us writing to someone (Perhaps CEO level) at both BMW Corporate in Germany as well as BMW NA " QUOTE

I suggest at least we all call Jacob Herb, BMWNA i Manager
201-307-4407 tomorrow.
I found him pleasant and accessible during the Pure Impulse debacle
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #44
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

"I want to ask the group, though, do you all think it's worthy of us writing to someone (Perhaps CEO level) at both BMW Corporate in Germany as well as BMW NA " QUOTE

I suggest at least we all call Jacob Herb, BMWNA i Manager
201-307-4407 tomorrow.
I found him pleasant and accessible during the Pure Impulse debacle
Wonder if he has an email. I'd like to call but I don't want to abuse the knowledge of the number. Anyone want to be the designated liaison?
Appreciate 0