05-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #45
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
BMW had all these years to make a super car and this just not cut it. Not for me...give me a v12 and some aggressive styling. Not this garbage hybrid crap. If you're spending $150,000+ on a car...there's more options
+ 100 BMW has been trying to hype this car up for years now but I just don't see anyone outside of wealthy liberal areas (CA & NY) that would actually buy one at its price point. No one including myself is getting excited about this car or the entire i project as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #46
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I cant wait to laugh at the first one I see on the road.

For that price I'll take an R8.

A guy will spend $150k+ on a car that will save him some $$ on gas??

Maybe they will make a real super car one day.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #47
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Yet again I can't believe the amount of narrow-minded self-centric horse crap that some people are spewing forth.

Accept that if you want a conventional V8/V10/V12 mid-engined sports car this isn't it... it was never supposed to be, get over it already.

My only real concern is with the weight. 1500kg's is too heavy given the amount of $$$ spent on the Carbon fibre technology and the infra-structure to mass-produce it, and the fact that it's been designed from the ground-up to minimise weight. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #48
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Ok, but if you want to break into the "supercar" market...the i8 makes no sense.

Take perfect example from Porsche with the 918 Spyder, yes its hybrid, but it looks f'ing sickkkkk and it goes like hell
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #49
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
Ok, but if you want to break into the "supercar" market...the i8 makes no sense.

Take perfect example from Porsche with the 918 Spyder, yes its hybrid, but it looks f'ing sickkkkk and it goes like hell
The problem with the 918 is that the hybrid system appears to be a token effort, the car would be just as good without it, and it would probably be 500kg's lighter (assuming the Porker would be similar to LaFerrari or MP4-12C, rather than 1700kg!), it's like Porsche designed a really cool supercar, then as an after thought, added a crap load of batteries. It's a totally different exercise than BMW are undertaking with BMW-i.

People need to dis-associate their hopes and dreams for a BMW supercar from BMW-i and the i8... the i8 is a halo car, for the BMW-i brand, it'll help shift i3's (and i1's and i5's or whatever they launch afterwards). It is not supposed to be competition for the R8, 458 etc. etc.

Personally I seriously doubt that i8 would ever have underpinned the 'M100' or whatever it could be called. The 'Life Drive' architecture is a good idea for a Hybrid, but must compromise what they could do with a much bigger engine and it's associated drive train.... maybe they could have done it, I don't know.. but to compromise at that level, just to get a supercar out quickly, would be stupid and would be more of a total cock-up than the original M1.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #50
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Why does everyone keep bringing up super cars and the Porsche 918 when the BMW i8 is mentioned?

For one of the Porsche 918 you can buy probably six or seven i8 for you and your friends. The 918 and i8 are not rivals , neither is the R8 or SLS AMG. The BMW i8 does not have a direct competitor , so when it launches there will be nothing like it on the market for that price.

Think of the BMWi brand in the same way as Fisker and Tesla - Individuality in electric mobility although BMWi will be backed wholly by BMW the fore giving the customer that piece of mind that the rug is not about to be pulled from underneath them - ie Fisker.

BMWi is not just about cars the overall investment is a mobile lab that will benefit the whole of the BMW group. From manufacturing to design everything that begins with BMWi will filter across BMW and its sub-brands.
The overall investment that BMW have made on BMWi was when the competition were focusing on vanity. BMWs advantage is that they will be the first automotive brand to mass produce in high volume cost effective CFRP.

The upcoming BMW i3 is more than just a car it is an entire revolution , its a BMW through and through its agile and dynamic and the entire car convinces that it is indeed a new world. So far we have over 500 orders for the new i3 on the back of the Concepts.
      05-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #51
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Why does everyone keep bringing up super cars and the Porsche 918 when the BMW i8 is mentioned?
- it's (probably) priced like a supercar
- it's shaped like a supercar
- BMW currently doesn't offer a supercar

I agree that this shouldn't be compared to the 918, that thing is actually badass.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #52
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Far north of 100k is just shy of 200k.

Cool car, but that's a lot of doe.
especially when you can get a Tesla loaded for 100k, and it has quite a head start
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #53
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

I'm reckoning it's going to be $120k... I don't think they'll charge very much more for it than an M6GC. Also, that would tie in roughly with SCOTTs comments about the price of the 918. It also is closer to earlier reports.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #54
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by almuhairi

And this is another shot for i8 in UAE I took it today sorry if it's not clear

Slanted camaroish front Toyota frs rear, what a chunk of shit.

I'm afraid to say I'd rather buy anything else really. Mitsubishi evo X and mod the shit out of it for fun, or the v10 r8 for sound, speed and sex appeal. E92 will probably be my last BMW.
Appreciate 0