BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Annoyance with iDrive (not sure if specific to i8)

I like the idea of using some of the connected apps (GoPro is actually useful), but as far as I can tell you can't use that and listen to music at the same time.

So I decided to transfer music to the HDD and just use the Media function. I set the mode to shuffle, which works from the iDrive knob, however the HUD still displays the music in alphabetical order.

And unless I'm fundamentally missing something, the HUD is the only way I know how to skip songs.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Going out on a limb here, because I have not trifled with downloading music to the car. I just run Spotify through iDrive. But, I think the idea of shuffle is to have a random order, which means the sequence that's going to be played can't actually be shown in the HUD. Assuming the next song is determined once the current one has finished. In that case, it would be a surprise each time and the HUD would be useless in that regard.

I don't know how you skip songs in the HUD. I use the seek forward and backward buttons ("<" and ">") on the radio.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Going out on a limb here, because I have not trifled with downloading music to the car. I just run Spotify through iDrive. But, I think the idea of shuffle is to have a random order, which means the sequence that's going to be played can't actually be shown in the HUD. Assuming the next song is determined once the current one has finished. In that case, it would be a surprise each time and the HUD would be useless in that regard.

I don't know how you skip songs in the HUD. I use the seek forward and backward buttons ("<" and ">") on the radio.
Well, the iDrive interface seems to know which is next (and previous), because you can see the name when you select the previous/next button. I also forgot to mention that this is fine when you play through the iPhone directly (either USB or BT).

Through the HUD, if you just scroll the wheel on the steering wheel, it automatically takes you to the song list, and then I just browse through there.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

HUD can show musics ? WOW ,I have learnt something new today
Well Done , Jan Gleitzmann he didn't pray the BMW's HUD for nothing
Transferring the musics into the car's HDD may cause the system to slow down if one almost uses 90 % capacity to the HDD . I don't know whether that's a correct statement though .It's,however, my phone is slowing down when it says memory is 80 % full. I have not downloaded any music either

Last edited by Nivarox; 08-16-2016 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Well, the iDrive interface seems to know which is next (and previous), because you can see the name when you select the previous/next button. I also forgot to mention that this is fine when you play through the iPhone directly (either USB or BT).

Through the HUD, if you just scroll the wheel on the steering wheel, it automatically takes you to the song list, and then I just browse through there.
Ah, okay. I have deselected media content from the HUD.

Maybe look at the positive side: you have two options now. You can select the next song from the random order through the radio keys. AND you can bypass that and just pick any song, independent of the random playlist, directly through the HUD. How cool is that?
Appreciate 0