BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
vBox acceleration baseline numbers for stock i8

I haven't had this car very long. Have only driven it 100 miles. But I wanted to see what it was capable of in stock form so I went out and did some vBox runs. Conditions were 70 deg F and 90% humidity, sunny/hazy as fog just lifted. Slight downslope around -1.0 degrees. Car had a full tank of gas and battery was nearly fully charged.

I'm not the greatest driver on earth but I have done quite a bit of vBox testing on my other cars.

Here's the results of three runs. Two 1/4 mile passes and one 60-130mph pass.

First 1/4 mile brake boosting:

0-60 mph 4.466 seconds
1/8 mile 8.341 @ 88.867 mph
1/4 mile 12.741 @ 112.174 mph

Second 1/4 mile WOT off idle:

0-60 mph 4.680 seconds
1/8 mile 8.577 @ 88.851 mph
1/4 mile 12.977 @ 112.236 mph

60-130 pass: 12.928 seconds

Doesn't come close to the magazine times which may mean that a car with 100 miles needs further break-in, or that I need more seat time or both. Also could mean that BMW loads its press cars with a more powerful tune to get the stats of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and 1/4 mile in the 12.2 @ 116 range. I'm thinking a flash tune will be necessary to get these stats. For now I'm gonna drive it as is and see if it gets quicker with more time/miles. But I will likely flash tune it once more options/development has been done. Not sure I want to be a guinea pig on a new platform.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w

Last edited by Longboarder; 08-14-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I haven't had this car very long. Have only driven it 100 miles. But I wanted to see what it was capable of in stock form so I went out and did some vBox runs. Conditions were 70 deg F and 90% humidity, sunny/hazy as fog just lifted. Slight downslope around -1.0 degrees. Car had a full tank of gas and battery was nearly fully charged.

I'm not the greatest driver on earth but I have done quite a bit of vBox testing on my other cars.

0-60 mph 4.466 seconds

0-60 mph 4.680 seconds

Doesn't come close to the magazine times which may mean that a car with 100 miles needs further break-in, or that I need more seat time or both. Also could mean that BMW loads its press cars with a more powerful tune to get the stats of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and 1/4 mile in the 12.2 @ 116 range. I'm thinking a flash tune will be necessary to get these stats. For now I'm gonna drive it as is and see if it gets quicker with more time/miles. But I will likely flash tune it once more options/development has been done. Not sure I want to be a guinea pig on a new platform.
Thanks for trying and sharing the results. There's a couple of people on here who got much closer to the published numbers. First question that arises: did you use launch control? Second question: I don't know if the US version may be slightly different because it's set up for lower-grade gas. Anyone have any experince with M cars on this?

And then, just my two cents worth: I would properly break in the car before trying something like this. There's a thread on here "i8 Engine - Initial Running and Conditioning Period" that talks about 1200 miles to break in the ICE. Just to be on the safe side, I tried to follow that, although it's a guess how far you've actually driven the ICE in an i8. The car doesn't give you the break-down. You can sort of work it out by fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:

0-60 mph 4.466 seconds

0-60 mph 4.680 seconds

Thanks for trying and sharing the results. There's a couple of people on here who got much closer to the published numbers. First question that arises: did you use launch control? Second question: I don't know if the US version may be slightly different because it's set up for lower-grade gas. Anyone have any experince with M cars on this?

And then, just my two cents worth: I would properly break in the car before trying something like this. There's a thread on here "i8 Engine - Initial Running and Conditioning Period" that talks about 1200 miles to break in the ICE. Just to be on the safe side, I tried to follow that, although it's a guess how far you've actually driven the ICE in an i8. The car doesn't give you the break-down. You can sort of work it out by fuel consumption.
Correct I did not use launch control. So there is a quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET with a better launch. And I have no idea what octane gas the dealer put in the car, which has about 100 miles in it now. For sure when testing again I will have 91 plus 2 gallons of e85 which is the best you can get for a turbo motor.

Modern engines are broken in from the factory. My e92 M3 was dyno'd with 91 octane with less than 300 miles on it and still holds the record for highest dyno hp for that platform. Hell at 4 miles on it I drifted the thing out of the dealer lot when I picked it up lol. Also I ran my tuned 991 Turbo S with 500 miles in it and it did a 6.65 second 60-130 mph run on the exact stretch of road I did the testing today for my i8, and is still a record run for a tune-only 991. So I don't believe that a modern car will make more power with more miles on it.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Quote:
Quote:

0-60 mph 4.466 seconds

0-60 mph 4.680 seconds

Correct I did not use launch control. So there is a quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET with a better launch. And I have no idea what octane gas the dealer put in the car, which has about 100 miles in it now. For sure when testing again I will have 91 plus 2 gallons of e85 which is the best you can get for a turbo motor.

Modern engines are broken in from the factory. My e92 M3 was dyno'd with 91 octane with less than 300 miles on it and still holds the record for highest dyno hp for that platform. Hell at 4 miles on it I drifted the thing out of the dealer lot when I picked it up lol. Also I ran my tuned 991 Turbo S with 500 miles in it and it did a 6.65 second 60-130 mph run on the exact stretch of road I did the testing today for my i8, and is still a record run for a tune-only 991. So I don't believe that a modern car will make more power with more miles on it.
First of all thanks for posting your results and taking the time to do this test. I love reading everyone's results to their performance tests.

There are two different beliefs about breaking in a car. One is to follow the suggested manufacturer breaking in period. The other is to bribe it from start like a bat out of hell. And some do use this approach.

But you're wrong about all modern cars. Some modern cars do still have to breakin as suggested by the manufacturer. Not 100% sure about the i8, but considering it is a hybrid, I would follow the suggested breaking in period because of the battery and electric motor as it adds more unknowns to the equation.

Perhaps in 1000 miles or so you can do another test and see if the results change.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
You are right Phoenix I don't know conclusively if all modern car motors are broken in from the factory, but this was my conclusion after doing some research a few years ago. One thing that I do for certain is make sure the oil temp is at normal operating temp before flooring the car. Which is a bit hard to do in this car without an oil temp guage.

Yeah after I get a few more miles on the car I'll give it another shot and will also try launch control.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Regarding gas, that's my point. We can get 100 octane over here, even 105 at some stations. Probably doesn't make a world of difference in normal driving. But when you're pushing a high-compression engine, lower-grade gas may trigger the anti-knock sensors, which would alter ignition timing and performance.

All current manufacturers, incl. Porsche and BMW still tell you to take it easy on the revs for the first 1000 miles or so. They do not let the freshly assembled engine run for hours and hours at the factory. Sure, a modern engine will perform right off the showroom. But combustion engines have so many moving parts, and at great force - especially in high-performance setups - that I think running them in a bit is just a fair thing to do for the materials.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Quote:
So I don't believe that a modern car will make more power with more miles on it.
Can't say I agree my M3 CSL carefully run in dyno'd at 362 bhp 15 higher than any other the tuner had tested. at 45k still consumed no oil and flew.

I'll make a note to steer clear of yours when its up for sale, but you are a few miles from me and the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      08-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
One thing I failed to mention was how disappointing the brakes are at triple digits. At 130mph, there is a weird pulsation in the pedal I assume from the regen feature. Takes forever to slow the car down. No wonder why the Formula E pace car features AP racing brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Another update. At now close to 1,000 miles on the odometer the car doesn't feel any faster. I have put 2 more tanks of gas and I'm using the highest octane we have here in California (91).

One note - my accel test above was done with all the nannies on and of course no launch control. I have since found "sports traction" which I drive in now. Not complete DSC off but it's the quick push of DSC. Holding it down for a longer period turns it completely off. I'm finding the car does launch better in Sports Traction mode. So I'm confident that the car can produce some quicker times but doubt the terminal 1/4 mile speed or the 60-130 will be any better. Plus the brakes suck sooo bad I wouldn't want to try another 60-130 ever again unless I could coast down to double-digit speeds before applying the brakes.

The torque is plentiful in this car. If I was to get a tune, it would have to be one that provides a boost profile that is linear with rpm - so the higher the rpm the higher the boost. Because that's where this car needs the additional power. More torque in the mid range will not help anything.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Another update. At now close to 1,000 miles on the odometer the car doesn't feel any faster. I have put 2 more tanks of gas and I'm using the highest octane we have here in California (91).

One note - my accel test above was done with all the nannies on and of course no launch control. I have since found "sports traction" which I drive in now. Not complete DSC off but it's the quick push of DSC. Holding it down for a longer period turns it completely off. I'm finding the car does launch better in Sports Traction mode. So I'm confident that the car can produce some quicker times but doubt the terminal 1/4 mile speed or the 60-130 will be any better. Plus the brakes suck sooo bad I wouldn't want to try another 60-130 ever again unless I could coast down to double-digit speeds before applying the brakes.

The torque is plentiful in this car. If I was to get a tune, it would have to be one that provides a boost profile that is linear with rpm - so the higher the rpm the higher the boost. Because that's where this car needs the additional power. More torque in the mid range will not help anything.
I was waiting for your update. I didn't even know that 91 was the hugest octane fuel in Cali. But I doubt 93 would be a big noticeable difference anyway. I'm wondering how did the magazines post so much better 0-60 times than BMW if your experience real world results don't match up to it. It's gotta come down to using launch control or not right?

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
I typically drive with "traction control" off. I don't have a VBOX or real data behind the claim, but I feel like I rarely or never get the launch bog with it off. I'm wondering if the traction control is so sensitive that it causes the slight hesitation from a stop.

Launches also seem more predictable/quicker in manual mode, but I know LC requires you to remain in Sport. But for daily, it seems to be the best combination. From what I remember, some magazines were claiming sub 4 second with LC on (but it was probably with a gallon of gas, down wind).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Could be the lower grade fuel in US? Here we have 98 octane.

And I would definitely never have done that to a new car before it is run in - and warmed up on the day.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      09-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:

I was waiting for your update. I didn't even know that 91 was the hugest octane fuel in Cali. But I doubt 93 would be a big noticeable difference anyway. I'm wondering how did the magazines post so much better 0-60 times than BMW if your experience real world results don't match up to it. It's gotta come down to using launch control or not right?
Launch control in mags was in the 3.6-3.8 second range and without LC it was about .7-.9 slower so his times make sense. I've yet to do a LC from dig and I just crossed the 500 mile mark.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:

Launch control in mags was in the 3.6-3.8 second range and without LC it was about .7-.9 slower so his times make sense. I've yet to do a LC from dig and I just crossed the 500 mile mark.
Thanks!

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH
Could be the lower grade fuel in US? Here we have 98 octane.

And I would definitely never have done that to a new car before it is run in - and warmed up on the day.
Engine was running for 25 minutes before beginning the test so oil temps normal. Have done dynos and WOT runs on all my current and prior cars right off the showroom floor with not only zero long term issues, my e92 M3 still holds the world record for a stock dyno done at 300 miles.

In my view modern day engines are already broken in an ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I look forward to hearing what your times are when you enable and use launch control. Until then I don't think we're going to get anything significant. While the car may not feel any different than it did when you tried it without launch control 900 miles ago on the odometer, I'm not sure that means anything, either.

I'm not trying to be rude, but when BMW says launch control is what you need to get the times it publishes, I think it's a good idea to follow the directions to see what times you can get.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #17
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
The right fuel, proper run-in, proper warm-up, no extra weight in the car, tire temp and pressures, proper track (temp, surface, not the slightest incline), wind, proper testing eqipment, proper setting of controls, a driver who does this all the time, etc. There are many ways to find a a few extra 1/100s or even 1/10s. The testers don't just jump into a car a floor it.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
The right fuel, proper run-in, proper warm-up, no extra weight in the car, tire temp and pressures, proper track (temp, surface, not the slightest incline), wind, proper testing eqipment, proper setting of controls, a driver who does this all the time, etc. There are many ways to find a a few extra 1/100s or even 1/10s. The testers don't just jump into a car a floor it.
But the website says 4.2! /s
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #19
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Engine was running for 25 minutes before beginning the test so oil temps normal. Have done dynos and WOT runs on all my current and prior cars right off the showroom floor with not only zero long term issues, my e92 M3 still holds the world record for a stock dyno done at 300 miles.

"The world record"? Who was the competition?

You may believe what you wish, and you may do with your engines what you wish. The fact remains, no manufacturer lets the engines run or drives the new cars around for the equivalent of several hundred miles. Engines are built to better tolerances, but they are not run in when you get them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #20
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock
Quote:
I believe that 4.2 is probably doable.. I was able to do 4.0 0-60 but my car is tuned
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #21
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

"The world record"? Who was the competition?

You may believe what you wish, and you may do with your engines what you wish. The fact remains, no manufacturer lets the engines run or drives the new cars around for the equivalent of several hundred miles. Engines are built to better tolerances, but they are not run in when you get them.
There is a S65 website with data from all the dynos posted on M3post and other places courtesy of Pencilgeek. So after beating on that car hard from 4 miles (when I picked it up from the dealer) to 900 miles when I supercharged it to 38,000 miles when i sold it, that car doubled as a track and airstrip car. Probably 20,000 or more redline WOT pulls beyond rev limit (reset to 8,600 rpm) motor was fine. Oil changed frequently. Always warmed up before driven hard. Opened up at 32,000 to do rod bearings and found they were good but replaced them for piece of mind.

Whether they are broken in an engine room or not and simply built to tighter tolerances I will continue to believe unequivocally that modern day engines can be pounded on from the moment they leave the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock
Quote:
I believe that 4.2 is probably doable.. I was able to do 4.0 0-60 but my car is tuned
Sweet which tune did you go with?
Appreciate 0